• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So the truth is “spin”? The NFL is a tough business and I believe the Colts have done as well as anyone, even through the adversity years. I am befuddled at some of the posts here, like the team has hurt folks personally.

When the truth is contextualized in a way to make the present circumstances seem far better than they really are, yes that’s spin.

That’d be like the Bears saying, “You shouldn’t question what we do, because we have the 2nd most Super Bowls of any franchise in the history of the NFL. We have a track record of championship”

Technically the truth.

Also, they’ve won 1 playoff game in 15 years and haven’t won a Super Bowl in nearly 4 decades. Their record over the past 10 years is 79-98.

The truth matters, but so does context.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I’ve said it over and over. Chris Ballard is a great talent evaluator, but he has a flawed philosophy on roster building. That’s like the the #1 job of the GM. This roster is 100% his making, and it’s the laughingstock of the league right now.

Irsay has publicly said many times that he’s all in on Chris Ballard and has no plans of firing him. The buck stops with him.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    For all the b****ing here the Colts are in the top third of the league, at number 7, in playoff wins.

Most #NFL playoff wins since
    2⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣

#Patriots - 30
    #Ravens - 16
    #Steelers - 15
    #Seahawks - 14
    #Eagles - 14
    #Packers - 14
    #Colts - 13
    #Rams, #Saints, #49ers, #Giants - 10
    #Lions are the only team without a playoff win.
    This is a bit deceptive, though, going back to 2000. The last playoff win for the Colts was a Wild Card round win in 2018. Luck took the Colts to the AFC Championship in 2014, winning 2 playoff games. And they won a Wild Card game in 2013. That's 4 playoff wins in the past decade (during which period the Colts missed the playoffs 5 times - and soon to be, 6 times). The other 9 playoff wins came during the Manning era.

Most NFL playoff wins in the past 10 years is probably more relevant.

1671626546986.png

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So the truth is “spin”? The NFL is a tough business and I believe the Colts have done as well as anyone, even through the adversity years. I am befuddled at some of the posts here, like the team has hurt folks personally.
    Truth isn't spin, but it also isn't always relevant. The Colts were wildly successful under Manning, explicitly and, in many ways, solely because of Manning. What does Manning-driven success in the 2000s have anything to do with evaluation of the Colts in 2022? What does success of the Colts built by GM Polian and HC Dungy in the 2000s have anything to do with evaluation of the Colts roster built by GM Ballard and HC Reich in 2022?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A franchise QB inexplicably quits in preseason and the reeling team still is 18 out of 32 teams 4 years later.

What exactly should Irsay do to correct this?
    Having a franchise quarterback is a rare luxury in the grand scheme of things. Getting franchise quarterbacks back-to-back, as the Colts did with Manning and Luck, is almost unheard of - maybe only 49ers fans can relate, with Montana and Young.

Luck retiring a week before the season opener in 2018 was a huge blow, and the roster impact in 2018 likely can't be blamed on the front office. Nobody can really prepare for something like that. That said: what the front office has done since then absolutely is their responsibility, and they can be evaluated with respect to their decisions. Those decisions (a combination of mostly-washed vets and young developmental players) have not panned out. Even the one that did (Rivers) they screwed up. Rivers offered to play another year, and they turned him down, opting instead to trade for Wentz.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’ve said it over and over. Chris Ballard is a great talent evaluator, but he has a flawed philosophy on roster building. That’s like the the #1 job of the GM. This roster is 100% his making, and it’s the laughingstock of the league right now.

Irsay has publicly said many times that he’s all in on Chris Ballard and has no plans of firing him. The buck stops with him.
    Ballard needs to go. Who is talented and available?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Agreed, if we can get a decent replacement. I figure he is gone.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I will be at Billy O'Neals tomorrow at 11 am when they open. I will be ordering lunch. If you show up before I am done eating it and meet the above criteria, you will enjoy a pint of Guinness on me. You can also drink any other pint of your choosing of equal or lesser price.

I will most likely be at the bar. I will be wearing a leather hat.
    I have to apologize but I will not be in Indy after all.

I will set it up for another time!

Sorry.

If you send me a pic of you at Billy O'Neals in a PM because I screwed you over by not being there....you will get 2 pints of Guinness on me next time :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Truth isn't spin, but it also isn't always relevant. The Colts were wildly successful under Manning, explicitly and, in many ways, solely because of Manning. What does Manning-driven success in the 2000s have anything to do with evaluation of the Colts in 2022? What does success of the Colts built by GM Polian and HC Dungy in the 2000s have anything to do with evaluation of the Colts roster built by GM Ballard and HC Reich in 2022?
    At the end of the day Colts fans enjoyed a period if success few team ever see. I expect there to be valley’s and peaks. It is telling that Irsay gets the blame from many fans but no credit for the success when that is brought up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

He was pretty much all in on Reich too..until he wasn't

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom