• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No. Making the statement doesn’t require that. Any evidence that the colts would have done worse with Reich? Saturday was chosen out of frustration. The recors would likely be the same either way.

Could have finished the season status quo and cleaned house in the offseason. That’s likely what’s gonna happen next anyway. I think it was a mistake to hire Saturday. I think it was a knee jerk decision.

But. I think it’s great for Saturday. He’s gotten some national recognition as a coach, and if things don’t work out for him in INDY, this will open somendoors that wouldn’t have been open before. I think he’s a good guy. He’s held his own as HC, but with a lot of help from the staff. Lots of respect. But he’s not the guy. I think he will be some day.
    The evidence is they are ready to play at the start of the games with Saturday. An interim coach is limited in what they can change. Too late to change many things like, for instance, conditioning. There are times when a coach has lost the locker room and a change is needed immediately, the same if the coach refuses to follow orders from the owner.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe sometimes the owner needs to stay the **** out of things. That isn’t a defense of Reich or criticism of Saturday. It’s on Irsay.
    Yet in previous years, Irsay seemed to mostly stayed out of things and the team was stuck with a coach and GM that were essentially tied together. Both needed to go. Perhaps he has learned from that failed experiment

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe sometimes the owner needs to stay the **** out of things. That isn’t a defense of Reich or criticism of Saturday. It’s on Irsay.
    Maybe the stupidest thing you have ever posted. Just who the heck calls the shots if not the owner? I recall few, if any, posts saying Irsay was micromanaging the manager and coach. Those hired gave failed to deliver, bottom line. Something happened that is not public and Reich was fired.

At the end of the day the buck does stop on Irsay’s desk, those he hired fail to deliver, though at the time of hiring most were singing praises for the choices. And there was not a line waiting to coach small market…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    At least when the 2023 Colts thread rolls around, we don’t have to be bothered with expectations for the next season.

Two years ago it was, “Man if Reich can get Carson Wentz playing strong again, this team could be pretty good.”

This year it was, “Man if Matt Ryan can be a really solid game manager, no reason why we shouldn’t win the AFC south and make a deep playoff run.”

We don’t have to worry about any of that garbage next year. There’s some good pieces on the roster for sure, but this is just a plain ol’ bad team. No head coach. No future at quarterback. Uncertainty at general manager. An increasingly meddling owner.

No delusions next year. There is no quick fix. It could be decades before we’re a perennial playoff team again. Just enjoy the process. Hopefully we draft a rookie QB with a lots of potential and we get to watch him grow. Or fail miserably. Which could also be entertaining.

Bring on the future!! :rockwoot:
    What title you giving us for next year?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe the stupidest thing you have ever posted. Just who the heck calls the shots if not the owner? I recall few, if any, posts saying Irsay was micromanaging the manager and coach. Those hired gave failed to deliver, bottom line. Something happened that is not public and Reich was fired.

At the end of the day the buck does stop on Irsay’s desk, those he hired fail to deliver, though at the time of hiring most were singing praises for the choices. And there was not a line waiting to coach small market…
    Yes the ultimate success or failure of the team depends on the CEO/Owner

Leadership has to trust those they put in place to lead the team.

If team leadership consistently fails, then the CEO/Owner must come into question.

Look at DIS

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If we blow this game, I will personally post a date and time at an Irish Pub of my choosing and buy anyone who has posted in this thread up to this point pints of Guinness
    I will be at Billy O'Neals tomorrow at 11 am when they open. I will be ordering lunch. If you show up before I am done eating it and meet the above criteria, you will enjoy a pint of Guinness on me. You can also drink any other pint of your choosing of equal or lesser price.

I will most likely be at the bar. I will be wearing a leather hat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I will be at Billy O'Neals tomorrow at 11 am when they open. I will be ordering lunch. If you show up before I am done eating it and meet the above criteria, you will enjoy a pint of Guinness on me. You can also drink any other pint of your choosing of equal or lesser price.

I will most likely be at the bar. I will be wearing a leather hat.
    That's a generous offer foszoe! But I won't be making it. That's too early for me to be drinking. Having our Christmas with the grandkids tomorrow evening since they'll be out of town on Christmas day.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    West 10th st. I almost spit my coffee out. :lmfao:

Enjoy your lunch n beers. Hope a few folks take you up on your offer. Guess it will at least be daylight

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Ueah. I think Irsay tends to micromanage.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes the ultimate success or failure of the team depends on the CEO/Owner

Leadership has to trust those they put in place to lead the team.

If team leadership consistently fails, then the CEO/Owner must come into question.

Look at DIS
    All agreed, what is the time frame to call that owner into question? The owner being blasted in this thread ran the winningest franchise for over 10 years. If not for the misfortune of the second winningest franchise being in the same conference they likely would have had 2-4 more SB appearances.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?

Irsay hired Poulian, Dungy, and others and let them do their jobs. He brought in the Tobin brothers to run things and they were a part of changing the franchise’s direction. In the 30 years since Irsay stepped down from being GM he has only had 5 GM’s, certainly not a turnover machine by any stretch.

It is rarely pretty when the divorce occurs Ballard came in with high praise from fans and media alike. If Luck had not flamed out I suspect things would have gone differently for him and in hindsight he would have done more to protect Luck.

I just do not see the meddling you guys claim, sounds like fair weather fans to me…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For all the b****ing here the Colts are in the top third of the league, at number 7, in playoff wins.

Most #NFL playoff wins since
    2⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣

#Patriots - 30
    #Ravens - 16
    #Steelers - 15
    #Seahawks - 14
    #Eagles - 14
    #Packers - 14
    #Colts - 13
    #Rams, #Saints, #49ers, #Giants - 10
    #Lions are the only team without a playoff win.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    All agreed, what is the time frame to call that owner into question? The owner being blasted in this thread ran the winningest franchise for over 10 years. If not for the misfortune of the second winningest franchise being in the same conference they likely would have had 2-4 more SB appearances.

Are the Ford family losers because the Lions struggle so much? How about the Hunt family? Until Reid and Mahomes they were pretty bad. Is Kraft now a loser after two decades of excellence but are struggling similar to the Colts? Just what is the measuring stick?

Irsay hired Poulian, Dungy, and others and let them do their jobs. He brought in the Tobin brothers to run things and they were a part of changing the franchise’s direction. In the 30 years since Irsay stepped down from being GM he has only had 5 GM’s, certainly not a turnover machine by any stretch.

It is rarely pretty when the divorce occurs Ballard came in with high praise from fans and media alike. If Luck had not flamed out I suspect things would have gone differently for him and in hindsight he would have done more to protect Luck.

I just do not see the meddling you guys claim, sounds like fair weather fans to me…
    I think it's hard to get a franchise qb and luck leaving made it tough. I am ready for Ballard to go and see what coach we get.

We can sort out what needs to be done tomorrow at O'Neals and then call up Irsay and present our plan.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think it's hard to get a franchise qb and luck leaving made it tough. I am ready for Ballard to go and see what coach we get.

We can sort out what needs to be done tomorrow at O'Neals and then call up Irsay and present our plan.
    I would love to join you but have obligations. Enjoy…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    For all the b****ing here the Colts are in the top third of the league, at number 7, in playoff wins.

Most #NFL playoff wins since
    2⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣
    0⃣

#Patriots - 30
    #Ravens - 16
    #Steelers - 15
    #Seahawks - 14
    #Eagles - 14
    #Packers - 14
    #Colts - 13
    #Rams, #Saints, #49ers, #Giants - 10
    #Lions are the only team without a playoff win.

That’s the exact same tale that Irsay tried to spin in his press conference.

We’ve won the AFC South twice in the last decade.

We’ve won a grand total of 1 playoff game since 2014.

Chris Ballard’s overall record as a general manager is 45-48-1 (and that’s probably going to get worse).

We haven’t been a relevant team for a very long time.

Irsay’s clinging to that number you posted but it doesn’t mean jack squat to today’s NFL or this team.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s the exact same tale that Irsay tried to spin in his press conference.

We’ve won the AFC South twice in the last decade.

We’ve won a grand total of 1 playoff game since 2014.

Chris Ballard’s overall record as a general manager is 45-48-1 (and that’s probably going to get worse).

We haven’t been a relevant team for a very long time.

Irsay’s clinging to that number you posted but it doesn’t mean jack squat to today’s NFL or this team.

So the truth is “spin”? The NFL is a tough business and I believe the Colts have done as well as anyone, even through the adversity years. I am befuddled at some of the posts here, like the team has hurt folks personally.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Colts are the 4th winningest team in 2000-2022, they are the 11th winningest team from 2010-2022. Hell, they are still in the top half in the last 7 years. If anyone believes that teams can maintain a dynasty in this FA era they are off their rocker.

Maybe I’m more analytical on this because I am a football fan first and foremost over any particular team. Teams I like ebb and flow over time. I have always rooted for the Colts but their losses do not ruin my day. I love to watch competitive game from many teams, I like teams now I did not like a few years ago.

I‘m good with posts slamming Irsay for something he has done but most of what I see are what is imagined with no links or verification, while holding the Colts to standards only a few teams ever achieve, standards that the Colts have achieved not that long ago…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom