Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hoyer has not spent much time at all with the offense. He was brought in after Luck retired so he missed training camp and runs the scout team.

I thought Hoyer did a yeoman's job of running the team all things considered. Looked like an almost seamless transition from Brissett to Hoyer.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I thought Hoyer did a yeoman's job of running the team all things considered. Looked like an almost seamless transition from Brissett to Hoyer.

I must have been watching a different game. Briskett pretty damn good at avoiding making mistakes, and he's stronger (or seems so) that he wouldn't have taken those sacks; or at least scrambled for nor something positive. Not to knock Hoyer, he did a fine job given his exposure, but it wasn't seamless.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I must have been watching a different game. Briskett pretty damn good at avoiding making mistakes, and he's stronger (or seems so) that he wouldn't have taken those sacks; or at least scrambled for nor something positive. Not to knock Hoyer, he did a fine job given his exposure, but it wasn't seamless.
    But I think Brissett did get sacked twice before going out of the game, didn't he? I'm not saying Hoyer is as good as Brissett, but for stepping in under the circumstances I thought he did pretty well. I mean, he did throw 3 TD passes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But I think Brissett did get sacked twice before going out of the game, didn't he? I'm not saying Hoyer is as good as Brissett, but for stepping in under the circumstances I thought he did pretty well. I mean, he did throw 3 TD passes.

4 touchdowns

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Exactly. For a guy that has barely got to learn the offense, barely took any snaps in practice, and come in mid game he did awesome. The only 3 TD passes were thrown by him. He did better than I expected.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Good explanation of the Colts situation form the Star...

If the Colts were to cut Vinatieri, there is no guarantee a kicker they brought in to replace him is going to fare any better. Hard as that may be to believe considering he’s just 12-for-17 on field goals (70.6%) and 14-for-19 on extra points (73.7%) — both career lows — what’s available on the free agent market likely isn’t much better.

Of all the kickers who were free agents before Week 2 of the season but latched on with a team at some point during the year -- that's Nick Folk, Chase McLaughlin, Mike Nugent, Sam Ficken, Cody Parkey, Cairo Santos -- Vinatieri has been the better field-goal kicker. His mark of 70.6% edges their combined 65.8%. On extra points, however, the free-agent replacements own a significant edge (96.0% to Vinatieri’s 73.7%) but this only further illustrates the quagmire the Colts are stuck in.

There's no guarantee cutting Vinatieri improves the kicker position.

Sheriff Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Anderson/Pendleton
    Good explanation of the Colts situation form the Star...

If the Colts were to cut Vinatieri, there is no guarantee a kicker they brought in to replace him is going to fare any better. Hard as that may be to believe considering he’s just 12-for-17 on field goals (70.6%) and 14-for-19 on extra points (73.7%) — both career lows — what’s available on the free agent market likely isn’t much better.

Of all the kickers who were free agents before Week 2 of the season but latched on with a team at some point during the year -- that's Nick Folk, Chase McLaughlin, Mike Nugent, Sam Ficken, Cody Parkey, Cairo Santos -- Vinatieri has been the better field-goal kicker. His mark of 70.6% edges their combined 65.8%. On extra points, however, the free-agent replacements own a significant edge (96.0% to Vinatieri’s 73.7%) but this only further illustrates the quagmire the Colts are stuck in.

There's no guarantee cutting Vinatieri improves the kicker position.

I agree, I think he still has some life left. Hopefully he will bounce back.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So here’s a thought I had today. Maybe this team is better than we think. We’re an average kicker away from being 7-1. That’s good no matter who you’re playing. Clearly the Colts are going to ride this thing out with Vinatieri so we will see if it costs them more games in the 2nd half of the season and Ballard will have to answer for it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So here’s a thought I had today. Maybe this team is better than we think. We’re an average kicker away from being 7-1. That’s good no matter who you’re playing. Clearly the Colts are going to ride this thing out with Vinatieri so we will see if it costs them more games in the 2nd half of the season and Ballard will have to answer for it.

Maybe, maybe not. We are a 5-3 team that has been in 8 games decided by less than 7 points. We have 2 loser games and 6 50-50 games to add to the 50-50 first 8, the odds say we are, at best, an 8-8 team. We should be 4-4 now, then 3-3 in the toss up games and 2 sure losses, by the odds I see. However we did win 1 more than we should in the first half so we should end up 10-6 and in the playoffs...

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So where are we in the upcoming games? Even without Brissett for a game or so.

Dolphins. Very Winnable

Jags. Very winnable

At Texans. Toss up

Titans. Very winnable

At Buccaneers. Very winnable

At Saints. Loss

Panthers. Very winnable

At Jags. Very winnable

There are 6 very winnable games, one certain loss and one toss up. I think 10 wins makes playoffs. We also have a win against Texans we are fighting to win the division...

I have revised my Panthers pick.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sure AV needs to conquer his demons but Ebron needs to wash the crap off his hands. IF Ebron had caught some balls then one game wouldn't have been on AV's shoulders to begin with.
    Luke is a great long snapper. AV started having trouble when Rigoberto started handling the snaps.
    I have NOT researched this so it's only an observation but it seems like he might be a part of the problem. HOWEVER.... Shanks lay the blame in one jersey.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom