• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The argument about chrome lined vs non chrome lined is ridiculous when talking about a accuracy in a fighting style carbine like an AR-15. The difference is so minuscule (if even existent) that most shooters will never see a difference. We're talking about a semi auto 16" carbine, not an Olympic style match rifle. The service life is going to far surpass that of a non chrome lined one, especially if the shooter plans to really heat it up or put a lot of rounds through one.

^^^^^^This

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The argument about chrome lined vs non chrome lined is ridiculous when talking about a accuracy in a fighting style carbine like an AR-15. The difference is so minuscule (if even existent) that most shooters will never see a difference.

I'll make that same exact claim for the whole Mil-Spec argument as well. It's meaningless to most all civilian owners of AR-15 rifles.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'm not talking "match grade". Any AR-15 with a button rifled Stainless Steel barrel will outshoot a Chrome lined Mil-Spec barrel. Chrome lined is not "better". It just meets the Mil-Spec. Nothing more. Will Stainless hold up better than Chrome lined in heavy, full auto fire? Most likely not, which is why civilian rifles don't really need it. Look at all the AR-15 Varmint rifles sold. Most every one has a Stainless Steel barrel. They are more accurate.

I thought we were talking about "economy" ar's Vs "fanboy" ar's....I really don't know what you are arguing?

chrome lined > chrome moly every day of the week. I don't understand why you are bringing stainless steel barrels into the conversation.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'll make that same exact claim for the whole Mil-Spec argument as well. It's meaningless to most all civilian owners of AR-15 rifles.

Not if that is what they want, and they are willing to pay for it. We live in a free world. We all have individual needs, wants, and desires. What you are looking for in a rifle might not be exactly what another guy is. One person might be running a few rounds here and there plinking around the range. Another might run a case or two month. Some folks take comfort in knowing that their weapon is built to the same specs as GI Joe kicking ass over in the sand box, and if it's good enough for him / it's good enough for them. People collect all sorts of things, and firearms are no exception. $1000 invested into a Colt AR is likely not to loose money over time, a franken-built hobbyist rifle might. Their are lots of scenarios why someone might want one over another.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Not if that is what they want, and they are willing to pay for it. We live in a free world. We all have individual needs, wants, and desires. What you are looking for in a rifle might not be exactly what another guy is. One person might be running a few rounds here and there plinking around the range. Another might run a case or two month. Some folks take comfort in knowing that their weapon is built to the same specs as GI Joe kicking ass over in the sand box, and if it's good enough for him / it's good enough for them. People collect all sorts of things, and firearms are no exception. $1000 invested into a Colt AR is likely not to loose money over time, a franken-built hobbyist rifle might. Their are lots of scenarios why someone might want one over another.

Here I agree with you. If it's "what you want and desire", then by all means you should buy it. I have 2 Colt's. A 6920, and a 6940 Monolith. I bought them because I wanted them. Just don't try to tell me how they're, "The Gold Standard" that all other AR-15's are judged by. They are no more the "Gold Standard" than Harley Davidson is the "Gold Standard" of motorcycles. They're popular and well liked, just like Colt. Popularity doesn't make a product "better".

Like a Harley, a Colt has an established name, which can make it easier to unload when you want rid of it. But saying a Colt is "better" than a Stag Arms, or (substitute most any brand name here), cannot be proven either way. Box stock DPMS rifles have gone 10,000 rounds without a problem, and they don't meet the TDP. That makes me question the value of a standard that has little, if any meaning for the average AR-15 owner and shooter. Perhaps these Walter Mitty types, who think they're going to be "fighting" with their AR-15, will be better served with a Colt. At least mentally they'll be properly entertained by owning that particular brand.

I bought my Colt's because all I heard is how wonderful they are. And they are nice rifles, don't get me wrong. But they run no better, and are no more accurate, reliable, or dependable than my DPMS, Bushmasters, (5), or my LWRC's, (2), or my Rock River Arms weapons. All serve their purpose well, and do what they are designed to do. There simply isn't enough difference to worry about.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I thought we were talking about "economy" ar's Vs "fanboy" ar's....I really don't know what you are arguing?

chrome lined > chrome moly every day of the week. I don't understand why you are bringing stainless steel barrels into the conversation.

You mentioned in your post you thought they were "better". Better than what? For what purpose? When you are going to claim something is better, you have to establish for what application. Just the fact they plate it doesn't make it better, until you define the reason. You did not. This is how 99% of all AR-15 arguments get started on Internet gun forums. People make blanket statements that have no bearing or fact on the intended purpose itself, because they never mention it. It's the same with all of these silly, "1 in 7" twist barrels are "better" arguments. A high twist rate, plated barrel is not better until the application you're going to use it for is defined. If not it's like saying, "My Skeet gun is "better" than your Trap gun. I have never understood why this simple train of thought continually eludes so many AR-15 aficionados.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    You mentioned in your post you thought they were "better". Better than what? For what purpose?

The AR 15 is a battle rifle. Unless your building it for a specific mission (Camp Perry, hunting, etc.,), why would you want anything less. Because your only shooting paper? If your only ever going to use it to put holes in paper then why even buy one?

I really don't care if its pink and has My Little Pony rollmarked on the side, I care what is inside the gun. If it's TDP spec., then it's GTG.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The AR 15 is a battle rifle. Unless your building it for a specific mission (Camp Perry, hunting, etc.,), why would you want anything less. Because your only shooting paper? If your only ever going to use it to put holes in paper then why even buy one?

Now you've awakened my curiosity, how many guys have you killed with yours?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Now you've awakened my curiosity, how many guys have you killed with yours?

Maybe Destro was hinting at a range/bench only use, no carbine classes or other such "gun game". A "If accuracy is your objective perhaps a bolt gun would be better" kinda thing. But, I can't put words in his mouth. I also don't see where he highlighted people as his targets, nor if he had shot at anyone, nor if he wanted to.

If you are somehow angry at the TDP for being a set of rules for a combat carbine, then so be it. It is still THE standard, and that simply means you know what rules your battle rifle follows in construction and testing. I'm sure you know all of this.

I am in the NDE field. I like to know that my rifles are tested, both QA/QC and materials. Colt, BCM, LMT, DD.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I like to know that my rifles are tested, both QA/QC and materials.

Then you also know that most all of these components, "tested" or not, are manufactured by just a few vendors. And are then sold to most all AR-15 builders. If someone can build an AR-15 on their kitchen table, with all store bought components, it stands to reason any company can, and in fact do much the same.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If you are somehow angry at the TDP for being a set of rules for a combat carbine, then so be it.

I'm not "angry" at anything. I'm saying it's a "standard" that has little to no meaning for 99.99% of civilian AR-15 owners. They are not soldiers in a combat zone, and 99.99% of them will never fire a shot in anger from their AR-15's in their lifetime. Regardless of how much they want to think otherwise. And even if they did, the chances of their rifle not going bang because it doesn't meet the TDP is preposterous. Many police AR-15 rifles are brands that do not meet the TDP. Has a cop ever been killed because his non TDP Patrol Rifle failed? Now average the same for a civilian. You've got a better chance hitting the Powerball. This is a lot to do about nothing.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Then you also know that most all of these components, "tested" or not, are manufactured by just a few vendors. And are then sold to most all AR-15 builders. If someone can build an AR-15 on their kitchen table, with all store bought components, it stands to reason any company can, and in fact do much the same.

BCG components should be tested. One cannot "make" a bolt out of carpenter 158 steel, high pressure test it, and wet floro mag it. Are you talking about the assembly of the LPK and buffer tube? That is assembly. One does not chrome line parts, say, right after cooking some eggs. You ever see a PMI gun? Correct materials matter. Testing matters.

You won't find any Chinese parts in a Colt, I reckon. DD makes a bunch of their parts in house. BCM rejects a bunch of stuff for quality reasons. Some other companies are doing radiography on their barrels for volumetric defects. None of that is done at a kitchen table.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    None of that is done at a kitchen table.

And even less of it is done by most AR-15 manufacturers. AR-15 rifles are made from vendor built components. The companies who build most of them are assemblers. You as the buyer have no idea who made what where, let alone who tested what. You put your faith in the finished product that comes out of the box. Why would a company invest in the tooling and machinery to produce components they can readily purchase on the open market from companies who are set up to make such parts? They don't.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I'm not "angry" at anything. I'm saying it's a "standard" that has little to no meaning for 99.99% of civilian AR-15 owners. They are not soldiers in a combat zone, and 99.99% of them will never fire a shot in anger from their AR-15's in their lifetime. Regardless of how much they want to think otherwise. And even if they did, the chances of their rifle not going bang because it doesn't meet the TDP is preposterous. Many police AR-15 rifles are brands that do not meet the TDP. Has a cop ever been killed because his non TDP Patrol Rifle failed? Now average the same for a civilian. You've got a better chance hitting the Powerball. This is a lot to do about nothing.

No, it is not preposterous to have the same features that are in a military grade rifle for a few dollars more. Your assumptions about what other people require are a bit off the mark, and I don't believe anger has anything to do with rifle choice.

Proper testing and correct materials installed in a way that makes sense for reliability is not "nothing". I know of one department that uses only Colt rifles from SA, purchased at a PREMiUM because of their reliability. Gas key staking? Matters. Hard steel fasteners? Matters. Correct bolt steel? Matters. Know why? Failure points.

I hope that the same 99%-average-Joe-Americans who don't require tested, inspected features on their rifle know that your blanket statements are not based on anything but opinion. Where is your LEO info? Where'd you get your formula to figure out just how average we all are?

Top Bottom