• Status
    Not open for further replies.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    So bottom line, will the NFL's attitude on this result in less revenue for them? I hope so as it will somewhat renew my faith in my fellow Americans.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Because the Star Spangled Banner is an awful song to sing.

It was a horrible tune to set our anthem to and now it seems we're stuck with it.

FWIW, the main reason that so few people can sing it halfway well is because they make the mistake of starting one octave higher than they should.
    The rule of thumb for how to sing it and still be able to hit every note is to start one register lower than you instinctively think you should.
    I can't do it at all going by instinct, but following the lower register for starting advice makes it possible even for me, and I normally sing well within the bass range.
    Also, the SSB was written more as an instrumental than one to be sung, and when played by a good brass band alone, it sounds very stirring indeed, certainly nowhere near awful.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Every time I open my User CP I think Yeah! Colion Noir released a new video, and then...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    FWIW, the main reason that so few people can sing it halfway well is because they make the mistake of starting one octave higher than they should.
    The rule of thumb for how to sing it and still be able to hit every note is to start one register lower than you instinctively think you should.
    I can't do it at all going by instinct, but following the lower register for starting advice makes it possible even for me, and I normally sing well within the bass range.
    Also, the SSB was written more as an instrumental than one to be sung, and when played by a good brass band alone, it sounds very stirring indeed, certainly nowhere near awful.

You mean like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyquyvlE4c

The Army Goes rolling along, and does the SSB right.

And Jetta, I'd like to thrown this one in the mix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMVB0B1_Ts

Written by arguably America's foremost composer as America was leaving the Great Depression, and leading the way in the greatest conflict in history; this song celebrates the people who save up to buy an NFL ticket, the ones who catch snippets of the news about Kaepernick from a chow hall in Kandahar, and the ones who built the stadium he plays in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's an opinion on the subject with which I agree.

https://www.facebook.com/TomiLahren/videos/1063123907114129/

Ok, I just got a chance to watch her vid (w/sound). I got a couple of questions. When did he blame white people for the problems in the minority community? Did I miss that? Half her piece was about Kap talking about white people, but funny enough, I can't find any sources in which he actually says such.

Geez, that girl certainly fits the hot blonde stereotype. I can't take anyone seriously that tells other people to "leave," when they bring up an issue about their home nation (whether right or a bunch of crap) that concerns them.

Someone brought up a very valid point the other day, about Kap's protest. Many other protests, involve violence and civil disobedience... and yet Kap's display was neither violent nor disobedient. It's odd, because he's received more vitriol than the other "protesters," who were involved in destruction or disobedience. Here on INGO, those events are eagerly awaited with :popcorn: icons... people couldn't wait to watch the TV to see what type of unrest took place in any of a number of the recent instances of idiocracy....and Kap? Nobody wants to see that right? If anything, Kap is protesting the "right" way and those that do protest, would do well to look at him as an positive example of what to do rather than burning, looting, blocking roadways, and violence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok, I just got a chance to watch her vid (w/sound). I got a couple of questions. When did he blame white people for the problems in the minority community? Did I miss that? Half her piece was about Kap talking about white people, but funny enough, I can't find any sources in which he actually says such.

Geez, that girl certainly fits the hot blonde stereotype. I can't take anyone seriously that tells other people to "leave," when they bring up an issue about their home nation (whether right or a bunch of crap) that concerns them.

Someone brought up a very valid point the other day, about Kap's protest. Many other protests, involve violence and civil disobedience... and yet Kap's display was neither violent nor disobedient. It's odd, because he's received more vitriol than the other "protesters," who were involved in destruction or disobedience. Here on INGO, those events are eagerly awaited with :popcorn: icons... people couldn't wait to watch the TV to see what type of unrest took place in any of a number of the recent instances of idiocracy....and Kap? Nobody wants to see that right? If anything, Kap is protesting the "right" way and those that do protest, would do well to look at him as an positive example of what to do rather than burning, looting, blocking roadways, and violence.

Hot blonde. :rolleyes: Okay. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. She just doesn't get it done for me. I dunno. She looks like an overly made up kid. Hell, peal off a few layers of plastic Baptist and she'd look like my 16 year old niece. I'm just not into ogling kids, and the plastic doesn't help her.

Okay, that aside, here's my take on her rant. I didn't hear all of it. I listened to a few minutes and realized most of her rant is based on projection. To me, she just comes off as a kid trying to play grownup. I closed the video.

About the very valid point, did you miss the Ferguson thread? Plenty of well placed vitriol aimed at those "protesters" involved in destruction or disobedience. And of course there was plenty of :popcorn:. Who doesn't like self destruction? :dunno: It's like watching an episode of that "boo boo" whateverthe****itis reality show. People like watching people behaving badly.

But I do agree with you that those idiots burning down their own neighborhoods would do better by looking at the example of Kaepernick. Wrong headed as he is, engaging in a protest that doesn't involve violence or pissing in his own drinking water for spite is at least one admirable thing about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tommi is easy enough on the eyes but her voice gets to me after a bit.
    I do like how she goes right after her point. No holds barred.
    Now, if there is a swim suit pick somewhere we will make a judgement call on this hot thing.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I agree with you about the nature of his protest. He is mistaken in many ways. And while I can not say I respect his protest, I can abide it.

I guess the the reason he has drawn so much ire from me is that he has done something to greatly raise that ire. The Ferguson and Baltimore types **** me off, but I don't want to give them the time of day. Really I just want them thrown in jail for their crimes of assault, vandalism, etc. Colin has the right to do what he did and deserves no such thing. He gets counter-speech, if you will.
    So while it isn't amiable, and possibly not productive, what we have is a sort of conversation. Something we never had with the riots.

That's as close as I'm getting to a compliment. I'm still pissed at him.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Tommi is easy enough on the eyes but her voice gets to me after a bit.
    I do like how she goes right after her point. No holds barred.
    Now, if there is a swim suit pick somewhere we will make a judgement call on this hot thing.

Something tells me too skinny will be the verdict.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...Did I hear correctly that the NBA has a league rule that the players must stand for the National Anthem?

If so, where is the push to have the NFL incorporate the same rule?

Pssh...if that's true, then it's probably more like, "When does the NBA come under withering pressure from its Players' Union to _drop_ that policy?"

Now that the look-at-me fist-pumper athletes have figured out "privileged white people like the national anthem," I suspect it will become the "school prayer" of pro sporting events in short order.

Yoo-hoo...ACLU...where are you?

Last edited:

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    If I were his boss;

Let's see, you are bi-racial, abandoned at birth, adopted by white parents, grew up in an all white community, went to college and now make a gazillion dollars a year. Not a bad way to spend the first 29 years of your life. Now a stick or something is in your ass and you want to protest against oppression. Specifically oppression against people of color. Really now. Okay, nothing wrong with a good protest but do it on your own time. Not on the teams time, the fans time, just your free time, which I believe you will have a lot of soon.

You will not be allowed to express your opinion (s) in a public stadium where people pay hundreds of dollars to see a football game, not you sitting. The people in the stands and watching on TV want a break from the daily BS in their lives. Football gives them that break. They have worked 40, 50, 60, or more hours providing for themselves and their families. They want to be entertained have a few drinks and relax before the Monday grind begins once again. As my employee you are an entertainer. For 60 minutes you play football, people yell, scream, wave, laugh and generally have a good time watching the entertainer (s) play football. For 20 million or so a year you are among the few chosen to play this game. You are not chosen to protest whatever you are upset about this week or next week. Protest on your own time, not mine nor the fans.

I would encourage you to go on radio or television shows such as the View or Face the Nation and present whatever you are upset about to the American people. Though I doubt you could match wits with Whoopie and her gang. Refusing to stand for the National Anthem is your right under the First Amendment. It is not your right to sit when I am paying you to stand.

To sit costs nothing, it's free and easy. Reporters will ask you why you don't stand, you get free air time. So far your "protest" has cost you nothing. Instead of using your employers time and money to protest, why don't you get your wallet out, cruise around the decimated inner cities and elsewhere and write checks directly to the people you believe are oppressed. I doubt you will ever do that. Why do I believe this, paraphrasing a song lyric, "You are a fake, run back to your mansion."

Now go back to playing football so I can cut you from my roster, you fake.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom