jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    THIS.

And I'll add that his protest has cost him a lot. He's replaced Lochte as #1 sports douchebag, no one's ever going to touch him for commercial endorsements and he's at risk for fines, penalties, etc.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful what he did (does?), but his salary or parents have no bearing on his right to "voice" his opinion.* Whether or not he's been oppressed or had a cushy white childhood full of privilege should not preclude him from pointing out perceived injustice.

I've never been a cop, so do I have to take my blue lightbulb off my porch?

* I don't think this is a 1A issue as it's at a game where he is an employee on working hours.

What? No one was ever calling Lochte a hero for faking an assault.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I don't know...For being as drunk as he was that night I thought he was pretty truthful as far as drunken nights with buddies go.....I sometimes remember my early 20's and I know the next day after a night of revelry our retelling of the nights exploits seemed like something out of the Illiad rather than the Garage Club or Toy Tiger...:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Poverty is color blind Kut....

article-2271185-174315CF000005DC-107_964x640.jpg

Reading-Bible.jpg

I am the grandson of a sharecropper who hopped an ICC train and left Muhlenburg County, Kentucky with nothing but the $5 bill his sister gave him to pay for his train fare...He opted to hop the boxcar instead and went to work at the RR cleaning Pullman cars side by side with other sharecroppers and sons of sharecroppers, both black and white.....

Privilege has one color...It's green...

We are both sons and grandsons of the rural south...We have both done pretty well for ourselves..Our grandfathers and great grandfathers would be proud...The only privilege either of us had was to not let where we come from define who we are...Yet at the same time to let where we come from define exactly "who we are" (weird huh?)...We are both blessed to live in a nation (and a time in history) to allow us both that privilege...

IMHO and with respect to our bloodline that got us here....

Reminds me of my Dad. He grew up just before the great depression, in a South Carolina shack with dirt floors. My grandparents were very poor--my dad never told me what my granddad did for a living, but whatever it was, he didn't earn much. To supplement the family income, my dad quit school after the 3rd grade to join his older brothers in the cotton fields in South Carolina. His only education beyond that was a hard life. My first job out of college, I think I made like $22K/year as a junior engineer/technician. Descent money at the time. He told me I'm starting out making more than he's ever made in a year.

Privilege is not only about money. I'd would say I grew up privileged, not because of wealth, but because personal sacrifice came so easy to my dad. And I also feel privileged because I got to see an example of the good qualities that can be honed through hardships. Wealthy people never get to learn those lessons.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Privilege is not only about money. I'd would say I grew up privileged, not because of wealth, but because personal sacrifice came so easy to my dad. And I also feel privileged because I got to see an example of the good qualities that can be honed through hardships. Wealthy people never get to learn those lessons.

I believe you are correct...Nay...I know you are...Well put Jamil...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe you are correct...Nay...I know you are...Well put Jamil...

I'd like to add that having read Ben Caron's biography before he ever ran for president, I think he is a better example of the privilege of poverty. His mom sacrificed for him to help equip him to make a better life than she had. Doubtful at that time she'd ever have thought he'd be positioned to run for president. If all parents were like that many more people would be privileged rather than perpetuating poverty.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What I mean is the we all (at least INGO and my circle of friends) though Lochte was a dick. Now, we've turned all that attention onto Colin.

I suppose there are folks that respect Colin for his actions, but I certainly don't know any.

Then again, there were several coming to Lochte's defense here on INGO.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Its not only whites that benefit from privilege, Blacks certainly do too.... but in the context of this thread, it needs to be pointed out when used.

So... if we can agree that each racial group has their own set of privileges..... wouldn't they cancel each other out?

Even steven then? (phteven?)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Reminds me of my Dad. He grew up just before the great depression, in a South Carolina shack with dirt floors. My grandparents were very poor--my dad never told me what my granddad did for a living, but whatever it was, he didn't earn much. To supplement the family income, my dad quit school after the 3rd grade to join his older brothers in the cotton fields in South Carolina. His only education beyond that was a hard life. My first job out of college, I think I made like $22K/year as a junior engineer/technician. Descent money at the time. He told me I'm starting out making more than he's ever made in a year.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jamil again.
    I'm nowhere wealthy, but I consider myself one of the very fortunate because I grew up with a great family, not a perfect family because no such thing exists, but one that taught basic virtue and love.
    If that's privilege, I would counter by saying that it's very sad that such an upbringing is now considered privilege rather than normal.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've decided he is right and we should all stop watching the NFL.

I'm starting today and am proud of myself!

smug.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    QB ratings since becoming a starter:

You were saying?

His injury was a sore shoulder. Many QBs have played with sore sholders and put up much better numbers than that. When Blaine Gabbert is a better choice to be the starter, that's telling. Kaepernick got put on IR after having been benched a couple of weeks prior. He was benched for poor decision making. It's possible that his shoulder was bothering him the last 4 games he played, but it's also possible the move to IR was them putting him in storage so they could evaluate his future viability.

jamil*(NHRN) IIRC I read somewhere that he has an unorthodox and ergonomically inefficient throwing motion that he refuses to change. I believe that that was why so few schools recruited him even though he was a standout highschool player. The gist I got was that he was like a baseball pitcher with good pitches but bad ergos, he was prone to injury because of his delivery and likely would have a short career as a pro

As for why SF would keep him, isn't this the last year of his contract? You bench him and any performance-based payouts become moot, you still have him as a reserve this season and then you let him go free agent and don't have to bother trying to trade him. As a free agent I believe his salary will be mathematically reduced, especially after this latest drama

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Inconvenient for whom? Are you implying being murdered by an agent of the govt is on equal footing with being murdered by a criminal? I don't understand this often repeated logic. A person's tax dollars don't pay criminals to protect them.

A bit of false equivalency, isn't it, Kut? I saw yesterday that 324,000 black American homicides occurred in the last 35 years. What is the percentage that were caused by police? How about the same race as the victim?

We have a problem with a small group of police in this nation that shouldn't wear a badge or a gun. But, mostly, cops attempt to get it right and DO get it right most of the time. You know that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A bit of false equivalency, isn't it, Kut? I saw yesterday that 324,000 black American homicides occurred in the last 35 years. What is the percentage that were caused by police? How about the same race as the victim?

We have a problem with a small group of police in this nation that shouldn't wear a badge or a gun. But, mostly, cops attempt to get it right and DO get it right most of the time. You know that.

I do know that. I don't want anyone to think I support the BLM nonsense, because I don't, I do think it's nonsense. However, I disagree with the "Well, criminals kill more black people than police, so why isn't that a problem?" argument. That's a completely disingenuous argument. The definition of "criminal" and "police," are polar opposites. People should fear criminals, but not police.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I do know that. I don't want anyone to think I support the BLM nonsense, because I don't, I do think it's nonsense. However, I disagree with the "Well, criminals kill more black people than police, so why isn't that a problem?" argument. That's a completely disingenuous argument. The definition of "criminal" and "police," are polar opposites. People should fear criminals, but not police.

I would submit that in these enclaves plagued with the highest violent crime rates, it's quite the opposite of that, and unjustifiably so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom