is

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, so a little sidebar about a pet peeve. He references the VA Tech Basketball video, in which the national anthem is played for the players and some vets. Why can't people just sing the song? Since when is the opportunity sing the anthem an audition to get on American Idol?
    Because the Star Spangled Banner is an awful song to sing.

It was a horrible tune to set our anthem to and now it seems we're stuck with it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just a personal thought........

To me and my family, when someone with a serious set of pipes belts out the anthem and hits every note I can not think of any other moment that is more inspiring or moving. Especially when surrounded by a few thousand patriots/believers.

Agreed, but something about hitting 16 different notes before finding the right one on "free" or "brave" drives me bonkers.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I don't watch football so i am not sure if they introduce the players as they do in other sports. If they do and I were there there would be hisses, boos and rotten tomatoes.

They don't announce individual players or starting lineups like the do in basketball. But he does play tonight.....on military appreciation night....in San Diego. There are a LOT of pro-military families in that area.

As the backup QB playing in the last pre-season game he will very likely be playing tonight. When he comes out on the field he'll definitely hear it from the crowd. It will also be a major distraction to his team and his coach.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well old drinking tunes do make for "interesting" music.

So, in the true spirit, we should sing the anthem in a drunken slur. OR just have a band play it and NO soloist or choir; problem solved.

There's about five other good, American songs are leaps and bounds better than the the SSB.

I watch a lot of Formula 1 racing, so I hear the European nations' anthems... been a long time for the SSB to be played at one of those event.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, in the true spirit, we should sing the anthem in a drunken slur. OR just have a band play it and NO soloist or choir; problem solved.

There's about five other good, American songs are leaps and bounds better than the the SSB.

I watch a lot of Formula 1 racing, so I hear the European nations' anthems... been a long time for the SSB to be played at one of those event.

Not "Our" kind of racing.

Fans here.......you bet.
    Teams to spend the national debt to even make the field.........Nope.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Harry Caray's got you covered!

I agree on the other songs

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Mario in '78 IIRC. Last real champion was Phil Hill IMO

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where and what time do we watch to see how "America’s Greatest Hero" :rolleyes: is going to handle this evening's National Anthem?

Did I hear correctly that the NBA has a league rule that the players must stand for the National Anthem? If so, where is the push to have the NFL incorporate the same rule?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom