• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Philadelphia Eagles rookie linebacker Myke Tavarres was going to join this stupid show, but has apparently changed his mind. Says he's young and still has a lot to learn about what's best to say and do...he feels passionately about racial divide and is looking for opportunities to help, but this one just doesn't seem to help. Hmmm...ya think?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Meanwhile, in the government

14203100_10153753890357341_3076247550229404905_n.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    And I just had a co-worker go on a rant about how this shmuck is right because the national anthem is racist. There in the 3rd verse it has the word "slave" in it. So it's racist.

Seriously... why did that meteor have to miss?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've been listening to Roy Orbison this afternoon...after hearing one too many "Starbuck's Ready" false-Irish pop schmooze on the radio.

I feel better.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. Here's what Dylan said about Roy's voice:

With Roy, you didn't know if you were listening to mariachi or opera. He kept you on your toes. With him, it was all about fat and blood. He sounded like he was singing from an Olympian mountaintop. [After "Ooby Dooby"] he was now singing his compositions in three or four octaves that made you want to drive your car over a cliff. He sang like a professional criminal ... His voice could jar a corpse, always leave you muttering to yourself something like, 'Man, I don't believe it'.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And I just had a co-worker go on a rant about how this shmuck is right because the national anthem is racist. There in the 3rd verse it has the word "slave" in it. So it's racist.

Seriously... why did that meteor have to miss?

Actually, it references the killing of slaves that fought with the British. So it's not so innocent as saying something like "we won't be slaves."

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Now I have to go read the 3rd verse for myself?

It's like Amazing Grace again when I go back to mom's church and they insist on verses 2 and 3

sigh

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now I have to go read the 3rd verse for myself?

It's like Amazing Grace again when I go back to mom's church and they insist on verses 2 and 3

sigh

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
    That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
    A home and a Country should leave us no more?
    Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Actually, it references the killing of slaves that fought with the British. So it's not so innocent as saying something like "we won't be slaves."

Slaves and Mercs that fought with the British. The entire line was "And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, that the havoc of war and hte battles confusion a home and a country should leave us no more. No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight, or gloom of hte grave". Basically a rah rah we kicked their asses even though they told us they were going to kick ours. No more racist than you are.

In fact, I'm wondering how many of these people calling this racist are looking for a band that swears? Motley Crue of hte 19th century maybe?

EDIT: Kut scooped me on this. stupid work getting in the way. Also, it's the 4th verse not the 3rd. My bad. I'm from public schools.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Slaves and Mercs that fought with the British. The entire line was "And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, that the havoc of war and hte battles confusion a home and a country should leave us no more. No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight, or gloom of hte grave". Basically a rah rah we kicked their asses even though they told us they were going to kick ours. No more racist than you are.

In fact, I'm wondering how many of these people calling this racist are looking for a band that swears? Motley Crue of hte 19th century maybe?

EDIT: Kut scooped me on this. stupid work getting in the way. Also, it's the 4th verse not the 3rd. My bad. I'm from public schools.

It doesn't bother me, different times, different people, different (incorrect) understanding of rights. It's certainly not something to point to and say "because of this..."

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It doesn't bother me, different times, different people, different (incorrect) understanding of rights. It's certainly not something to point to and say "because of this..."

I think we're agreeing here...talking about their enemies they beat in battle is a little different than talking about beating slaves for fun IMO. To single this single line out from a 4th verse of a song that the nation has adopted the first verse of, that was adapted to song from a poem written by (basically) a POW in 1814 and say that it's racist and is why black people are killed is ridiculous. If you truly believe this, I think you have some serious issues you need to work out ('you' meaning hte royal, general you, not you specificlally Kut)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Equal treatment- they'd kill anyone who fought for the British.

"Equal treatment," eh? After the war, our govt demanded that the 6000 or so blacks that fought with the British, be turned over to them. The British refused. Most settled in Canada and the Caribbean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom