Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I have mixed feelings about this whole thing because I don't fully agree with him (certainly not if he is a Castro supporter) but I admire someone risking their personal status to make a point.

Most of all, in this thread, I'm humbled and appreciative of how the military members are emphasizing the right to protest.

I do want to add another angle on this point, made by someone on the internet totally random to me. We have a lot of criticisms of the BLM movement, but I do think they have some underlying points.

white people.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have mixed feelings about this whole thing because I don't fully agree with him (certainly not if he is a Castro supporter) but I admire someone risking their personal status to make a point.

Most of all, in this thread, I'm humbled and appreciative of how the military members are emphasizing the right to protest.

I do want to add another angle on this point, made by someone on the internet totally random to me. We have a lot of criticisms of the BLM movement, but I do think they have some underlying points.

View attachment 49720

Just want to put this back in the mix......IMHO it is not that he protested.....it is where/when he did it.
    Do not use a captive audience that has paid (We all pay to watch the games in some way, Tickets/cable/personal time etc) to make your protests.
    There are other ways/venues that he could have utilized.
    Keep this crap out of our entertainment.

I support his right to say/do what he will in peaceful protest. Agree or don't I will stand beside him in defense to do so.
    I will also rake his dumb a$$ over the coals for statements as empty/baseless as these. That is my right to do so.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just want to put this back in the mix......IMHO it is not that he protested.....it is where/when he did it.
    Do not use a captive audience that has paid (We all pay to watch the games in some way, Tickets/cable/personal time etc) to make your protests.
    There are other ways/venues that he could have utilized.
    Keep this crap out of our entertainment.

I support his right to say/do what he will in peaceful protest. Agree or don't I will stand beside him in defense to do so.
    I will also rake his dumb a$$ over the coals for statements as empty/baseless as these. That is my right to do so.

Uh Church, ideally, that exactly where you want to do it. There's also another way to look at it. Playing Devil's Advocate, some could say "why are we forcefed patriotism in venues that really aren't related?"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Uh Church, ideally, that exactly where you want to do it. There's also another way to look at it. Playing Devil's Advocate, some could say "why are we forcefed patriotism in venues that really aren't related?"

We can make valid arguments all around on these points.
    just a starter...can you or I protest on the clock...??? You might get a bit of Camera time but the loss of your job would make it a tough decision. Me, protesting in a customers home (interrupting their lives) would not be conducive to repeat business.
    Just pointing out that this is not a proper venue for these things in my mind. Yes, it is the perfect place to do it but the **** storm (yes, he wanted a **** storm) is not a positive thing for the majority of those he interrupted.

Forced patriotism.........save for a few dissenters it looks to be what the masses want.
    I enjoy those few moments when attending these events. It renews pride and lifts my spirits. But that is just me.

You do make valid points as always but I stand firm in my opinion to just play the damn game and use his sports based face in the media to seek out camera time that would be available to him.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We can make valid arguments all around on these points.
    just a starter...can you or I protest on the clock...??? You might get a bit of Camera time but the loss of your job would make it a tough decision. Me, protesting in a customers home (interrupting their lives) would not be conducive to repeat business.
    Just pointing out that this is not a proper venue for these things in my mind. Yes, it is the perfect place to do it but the **** storm (yes, he wanted a **** storm) is not a positive thing for the majority of those he interrupted.

Forced patriotism.........save for a few dissenters it looks to be what the masses want.
    I enjoy those few moments when attending these events. It renews pride and lifts my spirits. But that is just me.

You do make valid points as always but I stand firm in my opinion to just play the damn game and use his sports based face in the media to seek out camera time that would be available to him.

If he did this knowing it put his career at risk, it makes his protest more meaningful.

If he expects to somehow be protected by government, the NFL, etc then he is just using other people's time and money. If a celebrity uses that platform to push a message, that's fine. But they should know they are putting their celebrity income at risk.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If he did this knowing it put his career at risk, it makes his protest more meaningful.

If he expects to somehow be protected by government, the NFL, etc then he is just using other people's time and money. If a celebrity uses that platform to push a message, that's fine. But they should know they are putting their celebrity income at risk.

In rethinking this whole thing I see the Media as a party in these situations as well. Another diversion from what is really important.

Yes, I believe he is using this as a way to push back but to what end...???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kaep's a d##k, always has been.

I agree with Morgan Freeman on the matter of race relations and that's how I live.

The twins in my avatar and the 9 year old sister are mixed. Dad is a young man of color. Best way I can describe him other than he is a great father, good provider and he loves those girls beyond any measure I am aware of.
    I was dropping the 9 year old at school just moments ago. LEO had a mini van pulled over and the driver was a young Hispanic female that the 9 year old knows from her friends. She said she hopped she was not in trouble. I said I hope she has all her credentials so she won't be in trouble.
    9 year old said I was being a Racist.........:dunno:.This from a mixed 9 year old that I love more than life itself. She knows I am anything but a racist but the meaning of the word has been murdered.
    The term has been so skewed that is is so mis-used and the kids are being taught this.
    She said I was speaking of a Mexican so it was racist right.............:faint:

There will be a long conversation this evening. Where do I even begin.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's a lot of talk in this thread about about defending his "right to protest".

So far, I don't think I've seen anyone question his right to sit down or say anything. Of course he has the right to do what he did. So what's all this staking out the moral high ground of recognizing a right that I think everyone here agrees on and no one challenged?

Anyhoo, what Mr. Kaepernick does not have, is a right to a "safe place", free from criticism for taking the stance he did. Frankly, I question his motives before i even question his means. i think he's seen the handwriting on the wall about his time in SF (whether benched, released or traded) and wants to position himself as a victim. Even if sincere, I see his "protest" as useless in making a point or "starting a conversation"...as if there are not a million conversations out there already. Rather, it seems like if he believes what he is saying, he is more interested in how the "right" people view him than anything else.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Frankly, I question his motives before i even question his means. i think he's seen the handwriting on the wall about his time in SF (whether benched, released or traded) and wants to position himself as a victim. Even if sincere, I see his "protest" as useless in making a point or "starting a conversation"...as if there are not a million conversations out there already. Rather, it seems like if he believes what he is saying, he is more interested in how the "right" people view him than anything else.

That's quite an astute observation from a simple country lawyer...I do believe that hough got to the marrow on this old bone....The Dixie Chicks had an album that wasn't doing well with their traditional fans...They trashed W and the next thing you know they were on the cover of news magazines all nekkid with words in ink on their skin and their mouths taped shut while lamenting their loss of "free speech"...The next thing you know, NPR began playing their music on their alt rock/country station and they were being interviewed everywhere...

Hough is right....He is setting himself up for Saint Victim hood status....He will win an Espy for this.....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Perhaps some other team...struggling to put butts in the seats....give him a call?...

I don't know that any of this will make him more desirable to another team. His health and his ability to return to starting quarterback status anywhere is a big question mark. I see this as a defensive move against being cut (for which he would get a decent payday anyway) and possibly to force a trade (one wonders if he expected more than local reaction for what happened at a pre-season game), but maybe it's just is radical girlfriend getting in his head. Either way, this is calculated to let him play the victim. That may just make him more desirable for a post-football media gig...and make no mistake about it, the sports media is no less liberal than the rest of the media.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You've gotta be real smart to make statements about oppression with a picture of Fidel-****ing-Castro on your shirt.

CrMDyGLVYAAvZhE.jpg:large

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That's quite an astute observation from a simple country lawyer...I do believe that hough got to the marrow on this old bone....The Dixie Chicks had an album that wasn't doing well with their traditional fans...They trashed W and the next thing you know they were on the cover of news magazines all nekkid with words in ink on their skin and their mouths taped shut while lamenting their loss of "free speech"...The next thing you know, NPR began playing their music on their alt rock/country station and they were being interviewed everywhere...

Hough is right....He is setting himself up for Saint Victim hood status....He will win an Espy for this.....

"ESPN is just MSNBC with footballs."
    -Ben Shapiro

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom