• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey. Speak for yourself.

Seriously, if they are "public servants", we ARE the masters. But I realize "public servant" is just a phrase. Servants generally don't have government backed authority.

But at least I can dream about Jeanie from back in the day.

Those that kick in doors serve another master who is sitting safely behind a desk.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    civilian: definition of civilian in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
    civilian Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary civilian American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

Obviously MW got it wrong. Tell me again why this is a controversy for some? Last I checked, the Pres and Congress are civilians, so its not a matter of authority.

1.1informal A person who is not a member of a particular profession or group, as viewed by a member of that group:I talk to a lot of actresses and they say that civilians are scared of them

Not wrong. At worst, informal or colloquial.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tell me again why this is a controversy for some

INGO.

53257861.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look, I know this is INGO and everything has to be pure and only one true way, like an L. Neil Smith book or a Ron Paul campaign, but civilian depends on the context.

First a threshold question, what law are we applying? Define your universe--UMCJ? USC? Indiana Code? Maybe New York statutes which define firefighters with military and cops? It just depends.

Running around a conference room table with your hair on fire over something the legislature defines is unproductive.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, what is YOUR definition?

I heard a fire chief this morning using the word "civilian" to distinguish between the general population and the ones with the hoses. Thought it odd.

Whatever. If you have a subset of a culture--knife geeks, model railroad collectors, people who dress up like furry rhinos, spoon collectors, whatever--they will likely refer to non-spoon collectors as "civilians".

Fire Chief Mustachski was using it in the broadest possible sense and without reference to any statute. Doesn't matter. Smile and nod.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :horse: No horse is too dead to beat!! - KellyinAvon

I'm a civilian since I have that USC Title 5 civil service gig. I'm also not a civilian since as a military retiree I come under Title 10 status.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom