• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a firefighter we have always just referred to them as the public or citizens

So given that guys in the military are also citizens and members of the public, military people are civilians too! So it's just us police and firefighters, the rest are civilians. Lol

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    civilian: definition of civilian in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
    civilian Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary civilian American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

Obviously MW got it wrong. Tell me again why this is a controversy for some? Last I checked, the Pres and Congress are civilians, so its not a matter of authority.

I don't care how many dictionaries run with a changed definition. The formal definition of "civilian" is "one under civil law" (as opposed to one under military law). The distinction is civil vs military. There is significant danger to liberty in formally considering civilian police forces as non-civilian.

Colloquial/informal uses are just that, and don't concern me. But formal definitions that include police with non-civilians are a problem. Police are civilians, get their authority from civil (not military) law, and are accountable to civil (not military) law.

This has all been discussed at length, in the earlier pages of the thread - which for some reason was revived by someone making a drive-by comment that basically ignored pages of prior discussion.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't care how many dictionaries run with a changed definition. The formal definition of "civilian" is "one under civil law" (as opposed to one under military law). The distinction is civil vs military. There is significant danger to liberty in formally considering civilian police forces as non-civilian.

Colloquial/informal uses are just that, and don't concern me. But formal definitions that include police with non-civilians are a problem. Police are civilians, get their authority from civil (not military) law, and are accountable to civil (not military) law.

This has all been discussed at length, in the earlier pages of the thread - which for some reason was revived by someone making a drive-by comment that basically ignored pages of prior discussion.

While we are at it, we should also concede that 'militia' means that only the National Guard has a right to arms, 'regulate' means open-ended authority to micromanage without limit, and 'reasonable' means whatever the .gov decides to be acceptable at the moment.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    While we are at it, we should also concede that 'militia' means that only the National Guard has a right to arms, 'regulate' means open-ended authority to micromanage without limit, and 'reasonable' means whatever the .gov decides to be acceptable at the moment.

Well, as long as Miriam-Webster updates their dictionaries accordingly...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, as long as Miriam-Webster updates their dictionaries accordingly...

:yesway:

I suppose the two points I find most disturbing are the inherent hazards of allowing language to be redefined for political reasons, and the underlying issues which are distressingly similar with the rise of the European nobility in the early middle ages.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

And, remember when "Talent" used to mean that a person could, play an instrument, act, sing, or dance well?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom