CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's the thought on Hank Hanigraff coming out as Orthodox?

Personally, I was sad to see Bott throw him overboard as a quickly possible.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anybody read this book or know something about it?

https://academic.logos.com/salvatio...e-alone-matthew-bates-in-the-hot-seat-part-1/

I don't think I have brought it up here before, but I have been taught over the years as an Orthodox, that the original greek, pistis, meant more like fidelity than a mental assent or intellectual belief.

This book seems to be taking almost the same path from a protestant perspective.

From the overview of the book:
    We are saved by faith when we trust that Jesus died for our sins. This is the gospel, or so we are taught. But what is faith? And does this accurately summarize the gospel? Because faith is frequently misunderstood and...
    Nope.

We are saved by grace alone through faith alone.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What's the thought on Hank Hanigraff coming out as Orthodox?

Personally, I was sad to see Bott throw him overboard as a quickly possible.

Probably better than if he'd been Catholic. People scratch their head at Orthodoxy. They get angry at Catholicism. :D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    From the overview of the book:

Nope.

We are saved by grace alone through faith alone.

One Protestant disagreeing with another on the fundamentals. I think in the last year I've almost, if I haven't actually, given up trying to understand more fully all the different groups. Lot's of great slogans. Protestantism is the master of marketing though. Great slogans, great sound bites, and sooner or later one can find a brand to be loyal to, for awhile, until something comes up. Or the brand loyalty remains but the community gets shopped every so often. Eventually, if nothing suits, invent one! As long as we agree on the fundamentals. Oh wait... :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I expected something much different, but it's actually not too different than:
    futurama_robot_priest.jpg

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So...are you saying I cannot have my own, personal Jesus?

Someone to hear my prayers, someone who cares?

You could make a mint cloning Jesus, and renting the clone as a motivational speaker.

I don't know about that. Old school Jesus motivational is not what a modern audience wants to hear.

They'd crucify Him in the media.

^^^ LMAO :D

Remember that?

It was funny, wasn't it?

Then.

Most people don't want much truth, certainly not the hard parts, where it threatens and exposes deception within ourselves.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is a challenge to those who believe they can present a stronger case for evolution than creation.

Why would it have to be one or the other?

Do we also need to choose between prayer and medicine, or can both co-exist? My uncle needed a liver after an industrial accident cut his abdomen open and left so much scar tissue and infection his was not functioning. Can you not pray and accept God's mechanism of an organ donor and a surgeon? Must God will a new liver into place by no visible or detectable means for it to be the answering of a prayer? Even if there was completely irrefutable proof of evolution, does that somehow deny God as a creator? Surely not. God's mechanisms are his, regardless of how (and if) we understand them. As such, what's the point of the debate? If the theory of evolution provides predictive power, use it as such. If it does not provide predictive power, than it's useless and is to be discarded. It's a tool, as are all scientific theories. It can address our understanding of "how", it can never answer "why".

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Remember that?

It was funny, wasn't it?

Then.

Most people don't want much truth, certainly not the hard parts, where it threatens and exposes deception within ourselves.

Holy crap...
    I can honestly say...
    You didn't get it. :)
    And I am more surprised that PaulF did

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why would it have to be one or the other?

Do we also need to choose between prayer and medicine, or can both co-exist? My uncle needed a liver after an industrial accident cut his abdomen open and left so much scar tissue and infection his was not functioning. Can you not pray and accept God's mechanism of an organ donor and a surgeon? Must God will a new liver into place by no visible or detectable means for it to be the answering of a prayer? Even if there was completely irrefutable proof of evolution, does that somehow deny God as a creator? Surely not. God's mechanisms are his, regardless of how (and if) we understand them. As such, what's the point of the debate? If the theory of evolution provides predictive power, use it as such. If it does not provide predictive power, than it's useless and is to be discarded. It's a tool, as are all scientific theories. It can address our understanding of "how", it can never answer "why".

When one is willing to take an I don't know default position and use bits and pieces of 2 viewpoints that others view as diametrically opposed then one can be rewarded with learning new things that others miss.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill