CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mark Zuckerberg says he's no longer an atheist, believes 'running for president very important'

DGRAHPAUQAAYM38.jpg:small

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A theologian and a astronomer happened to be chatting at a party and after introductions and finding out the other's career the astronomer quipped, "Why do you make it so complex? All that pre/post/amellinial stuff, predestination, limited atonment, infralapsarian... Why can't it be simple like, 'love the Lord, and love your neighbor'?"
    The theologian grimaced and paused, then uttered a reply, "Why do astronomers make it so complex? All the pulsars, quasars, black holes, Van Allen radiation belt... Why can't it be as simple as, 'twinkle, twinkle little star'?"

Credit to R.C. Sproul

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I imagine we’ve been through this, but my memory fails me. Where do you fall in the religious spectrum?

Dunno. Probably close to apatheism, I don't know one way or the other. I don't have enough evidence that there is or is not a God. I'm content to leave that argument to people far better equipped than I.

I live a decent and moral life. Maybe one day I'll understand better one way or the other.

Additionally, I defend religion when it's under attack, and for the most part really dislike militant atheists. Mostly of the libertarian attitude of "keep it to yourself" with regards to people very publicly denouncing religion.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I attempt to not be religious. Rather I search for God and a relationship. My progress in the last 20 years has been to not have people get the impression that I am judging them. Just do not ask if I think you are going to heaven. Because it doesn't matter what I think. Have I been CIVIL enough?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So here's a general religion question for the audience.

Thinking about the many religions in the world... : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions

Many you could probably look at and say, yeah, that's a legitimate religion... based on whatever it's based on.

Then there are some that you see... and you think, yeah, that probably formed from a cult/fraud/deception/lie/joke, etc (Church of Scientology, the Cannabis Church, Jedi, Spaghetti Monster, etc)

Which ones do you think fit into the latter group?

I'd probably put Mormons somewhere in there. They aren't a bad group these days, and I think it's one of those religions that Christianity has just accepted because they're mostly harmless and get along.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For me, I kinda reject the presumption that I can even label something as "legitimate." (This is separate from the dogmatic/doctrinal question of whether anything other than a specific religion is the "correct" one and all others are false gods.)

I tend to view it as a combination of 2 factors:
    - Do the practitioners believe in something bigger than themselves that is an active part of their lives?
    - Does the "something bigger" reward people for being good/doing good works?

So, I think Jedi could fit this description. The FSM thing, probably not. Unless there are some who actually think the FSM exists and works in their lives. Which kinda defeats the purpose of the FSM.

Full disclosure, the only reason I think people like that might have a "legitimate" religion is that the God I believe in is unlimited. He could present Himself to people in ways that they don't fully understand and are a bit confused about. They may have the terminology wrong, but at some core level, it is the same God.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I tend to view it as a combination of 2 factors:
    - Do the practitioners believe in something bigger than themselves that is an active part of their lives?
    - Does the "something bigger" reward people for being good/doing good works?

The creator of the religion (going back to Mormon again) could have misled and lied to what became today's practitioners... I mean, the creation of it, today, sounds so absurd that you have to believe it was a crock... so I'm not blaming the practitioners...

I think Smith was a fraud, but that's not to say anything negative about today's practitioners of Mormonism.

So while it may fit your two factors, could it still be considered illegitimate? Or perhaps we need a different word, if that one doesn't jive well.

Similar with Scientology... it's absolutely a cult, we all see it, we all know it... but those that are deep into it may see it a different way.

Top Bottom