Not open for further replies.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    IKR?

I had friend in college with all the charts...

Basically, dispensationalist are the opposite of covenantalist. I believe John MacArthur is a dispenstationalist.

I'm a dispensationalist. I can't dig covenantalists. They want to have "Christendom" writ large, but the Reformation pretty much did it in. The funny thing was that the fight for pedo-baptism and covenantalism is that the reformers still believed in a single catholic church that encompassed Europe.

Here is a chart for you T.

NV_C9701__70402.1452801564.1280.1280.jpg

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Used to draw out charts.
    Then I realized that persons and events are set in place as prophetic archetypes / examples of what was yet to come.
    Oh well. Time is getting pretty short now and I still don't know all the questions.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Being Christian is absolutely fascinating and wonderful.
    But it occasionally becomes rather too interesting when evil locally gains the upper hand, like when the Jacobins take over.
    This wackadoodle looks like the shape of things to come (no apologies to H. G. Wells).
    https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/K...cHhaDoHLyYf-vID1-pVD-LpkB_P9foLlCoFjoLeugPZOE

And speaking of Wells, ever read his nonfiction such as Phoenix?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well...that isn't a high bar to clear. It isn't that deep as it is an overview and a synthesis work. I have issues reading him as he keeps things chronologically so people keep coming in and out. Once you get used to the structure, it isn't bad.
    To the contrary, I do have a minor in history - the majority of classes were church history, so a lot of time spent on the reformation.

In other news, last night I got a chance to see Preston Sprinkle speaking in Ft. Wayne. I really can't say enough good things about his work at the Center for Faith, Sexuality and Gender.
    https://centerforfaith.com/

TL/DR: How (and why) do we hold to a traditional Biblical view of marriage and yet extend grace and compassion for those struggling with their sexuality and gender issue.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...How (and why) do we hold to a traditional Biblical view of marriage and yet extend grace and compassion for those struggling with their sexuality and gender issue.

Why wouldn't we? Name a person without struggles and I'll name a liar or insane person. We all need grace and compassion, though grace and compassion do not make wrong, right. We could certainly stand to be less mean-spirited and dismissive.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Why wouldn't we? Name a person without struggles and I'll name a liar or insane person. We all need grace and compassion, though grace and compassion do not make wrong, right. We could certainly stand to be less mean-spirited and dismissive.

Yep. Same way you help someone dealing with alcoholism or pride or lying. Sin is sin.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    To the contrary, I do have a minor in history - the majority of classes were church history, so a lot of time spent on the reformation.

In other news, last night I got a chance to see Preston Sprinkle speaking in Ft. Wayne. I really can't say enough good things about his work at the Center for Faith, Sexuality and Gender.
    https://centerforfaith.com/

TL/DR: How (and why) do we hold to a traditional Biblical view of marriage and yet extend grace and compassion for those struggling with their sexuality and gender issue.

Well...I stand corrected...mea culpa (in the parlance of T.), I was running on the assumption that you had the traditional "history elective" that everyone in college takes. As we all know about assumptions....

So yeah...if you have a minor in history this isn't very deep at all, but it does give really good context to theology. We like to pull theology out of history and set it up as its own field, but, for instance, the five points are the direct result of a brutal Dutch civil war. I'm also finding good areas of theology that I hadn't dove into. I found out about William Perkins and he authenticated my theological struggles quite well. I'm glad to put my struggles into a context that makes better sense to me https://unlockingthebible.org/2019/04/common-faith-saving-faith-william-perkins/ (I had the "temporary" faith).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We like to pull theology out of history and set it up as its own field, but, for instance, the five points are the direct result of a brutal Dutch civil war.

This has always been interesting to me, too. There are undeniable "current events" (whenever "current" happens to be in history) that influence or even form the genesis of doctrine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom