• Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ?
    everytime I read the Bible I take away something new and/or different, either because my experiences have changed, my knowledge has increased, someone else offers a different perspective, or God has a message he wants me to hear.....

I was saying it’s a good interpretation. :yesway: Nothing more.

-rvb

I'm sorry, likely Satan's whispering my own ear had me seeing a different conclusion in your post. :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Satan lies. He's not above promising what he doesn't have to give.

So you got a sermon? All we got was a message explaining what's next for our church:
    Church moving to ex-YWCA site | Local | The Journal Gazette
    https://www.wane.com/news/local-new...at-former-ywca-wells-street-campus/1704267926

[video=youtube;tz5IU0oGZV0][/video]

In a few weeks we'll be getting a new name. I fear it won't contain the word "Baptist", and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

hope the move works out well for you. We went there a few times and really liked the messages we heard. But having to park in the out-lots and ride the bus in with a toddler and a baby was too much of an inconvenience.
    -rvb

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can we identify a government or a nation that is not corrupted?

So, setting aside obvious theocracies (because that turns into a conversation about whether a particular religion-government is the "true" one), I would actually say that the US founding fathers were rather divinely inspired. I don't see "corrupt" as binary - either it is or it ain't.

Rather, I think governments would fall within a range of corruption. Our own early government was certainly not bereft of ANY corruption, but was (IMHO) well on the side of "lawful good." (To totally mix in a different vocabulary.) And, yeah, that includes the slavery problem. The US gov't position on slavery was a compromise that ultimately reflected each man's own freedom of choice on the matter. No one was forced to own slaves.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    hope the move works out well for you. We went there a few times and really liked the messages we heard. But having to park in the out-lots and ride the bus in with a toddler and a baby was too much of an inconvenience.
    -rvb
    Well that's going to be a thing of the past, thankfully.

~1/3 of the congregation will move to Wells St. this spring. The rest will wait until we can sell the current property.

Know anyone that wants to buy a $4.5M church?

PS - My guess is that we've filled up 10 dumpsters with trash and demo'ed debris at the new place.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    So, setting aside obvious theocracies (because that turns into a conversation about whether a particular religion-government is the "true" one), I would actually say that the US founding fathers were rather divinely inspired. I don't see "corrupt" as binary - either it is or it ain't.

Rather, I think governments would fall within a range of corruption. Our own early government was certainly not bereft of ANY corruption, but was (IMHO) well on the side of "lawful good." (To totally mix in a different vocabulary.) And, yeah, that includes the slavery problem. The US gov't position on slavery was a compromise that ultimately reflected each man's own freedom of choice on the matter. No one was forced to own slaves.

My take is that any existing (present tense) is corrupt.
    As to whether the rebel is given the power in governments by those who occupy office or that it bestows power on whom it will, to all appearances these are parts of a process and for all practical purposes equally true.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This probably belongs in the "are you kidding me" thread, but Ed Young, of Fellowship Church in Dallas turned his "church" into a full basketball court.
    article-3931-1.jpg

The Twitter backlash is pretty rough.
    https://twitter.com/EdYoung/status/1110235142038175746

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In case you want something cringe-worthy see how far you can make it through his "sermon":
    [video=youtube_share;KQgC4dSZKv0]http://youtu.be/KQgC4dSZKv0[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've always thought the 'gospel of prosperity' could pretty much be summed up like this

'Preacher' speaking to congregant "God wants us both to be wealthy, but he wants me to go first"

ETA: Muted the intro to the video and played 'Hit That Perfect Beat Boy" by Bronski Beat over top of it. Perfect!

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Protestants...gotta love them. When I see that in a Catholic Church I will become agnostic again. When I see it in an Orthodox Church, I will become an atheist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom