• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was at church Sunday. I worshiped Christ, and celebrated his resurrection from the dead.

I did not worship Easter. I felt God face-palming when I read that.

Why Easter is called Easter, and other little-known facts about the holiday
    The naming of the celebration as “Easter” seems to go back to the name of a pre-Christian goddess in England, Eostre, who was celebrated at beginning of spring.

It's one thing to say we celebrate the resurrection "on Easter" (which is a reference to the beginning of spring in that context). Quite another to say we "worship Easter."

-rvb

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The Herod was a heathen and when he speaks of Easter, he is speaking of the heathen holiday that celebrates the Spring Solstice. Uninformed people may think he is speaking of Passover or the Resurrection, but they would be wrong.

Acts 12:4 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
    And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It really is a shame we still carry these pagan traditions with our annual reminders of Biblical events....
    I sometimes picture Jesus throwing Christmas trees and stomping on chocolate bunnies in the same way he flipped tables in the temple.

I guess so long as we are worshiping Him, not Eostre, as described in those tweets, it's not entirely blasphemous.

-rvb

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jesus was most likely not white. He was an Israeli and a Jew. Palestinian is a bastardization of Philistine, mortal enemies that inhabited the Gaza strip and and were wiped out.

The German higher critics perpetrated the hoax that Jesus was a blond haired and blue eyed bastard of a n Arian German conscript Roman Soldier.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Jesus was most likely not white. He was an Israeli and a Jew. Palestinian is a bastardization of Philistine, mortal enemies that inhabited the Gaza strip and and were wiped out.

Palestine came about after the Jewish revolt of AD 70. It is indeed based off of Philistine (Romanization more or less). They renamed Judea that because they were sick and tired of the Jewish revolts.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Glad you amateurs got practice Easter out of the way. Shows faith actually I guess. But your celebration isn't bibilical. The real pascha fires (pun intended) up next week after Pesach as it's in the Bible. How "bible only" protestants can follow the pope on this one is a mystery I will never understand. Proclaiming He is risen when He hasn't died. Now that IS faith I suppose. This Sunday was Palm Sunday, a feast to be celebrated sure, but hardly Easter. Thanks though the bars were empty Saturday night so I celebrated my fiftieth by having the piano guy play whatever I requested.

He too went on and on about how Easter was the worst weekend of the year for bars.

I couldn't understand it because when I go to church on Easter (Pascha) the bars are full!

Oh and thanks again for the cheap Easter candy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glad you amateurs got practice Easter out of the way. Shows faith actually I guess. But your celebration isn't bibilical. The real pascha fires (pun intended) up next week after Pesach as it's in the Bible. How "bible only" protestants can follow the pope on this one is a mystery I will never understand. Proclaiming He is risen when He hasn't died. Now that IS faith I suppose. This Sunday was Palm Sunday, a feast to be celebrated sure, but hardly Easter. Thanks though the bars were empty Saturday night so I celebrated my fiftieth by having the piano guy play whatever I requested.

He too went on and on about how Easter was the worst weekend of the year for bars.

I couldn't understand it because when I go to church on Easter (Pascha) the bars are full!

Oh and thanks again for the cheap Easter candy.

:laugh:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This Sunday was Palm Sunday, a feast to be celebrated sure...

By the way, I was reminded (on "our" Palm Sunday) about Jesus's preferred firearm.

"Go into the village and bring me a Colt." Matthew 21:2 (paraphrased). ;)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The letter from Pilate to Tiberius about his troubles in Judea, has anyone looked into its pedigree?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The letter from Pilate to Tiberius about his troubles in Judea, has anyone looked into its pedigree?

picgifs-nope-859751.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Letter of Pilate to Claudius A noncanonical letter, in which Pilate purportedly blames the crucifixion of Jesus on the Jews and not on himself. This letter is likely the earliest of the Pilate literature, though it is misdirected “to Claudius,” which is later corrected in the Letter of Pilate to Tiberius (Klauck, 97). Both Tertullian and Eusebius acknowledge a correspondence sent from Pilate to the emperor, and it is likely this early text to which they refer (by the corrected name “to Tiberius”; Tertullian, Apology 5.2 and 21.24; Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, 2.2).
    This Letter of Pilate to Claudius appears in the Latin version of Tishchendorf’s Christ’s Descent into Hell; the Greek version of this same letter is found in the Acts of Peter and Paul and the Gospel of Nicodemus (Elliott, Apocryphal New Testament, 205–6).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom