• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I don't mind if old people want to keep theirs and read it. They (basically) understand the language, and it is both familiar and comforting.

But if you put the KJV in the hands of anyone under 40 years old, you're functionally telling them that the Bible was written in a way that you're not supposed to understand. Yes, it is technically modern English, but it might as well be a foreign language. Young people cannot read and understand it. And I do not believe that was God's intention.

I keep a supply of NIV and NLT Bibles that I give away. It's been twenty-some most years for the last decade.

The King James is good as a study tool because so many resources keyed to it.
    And yes, English is a foreign language for most Americans!
    :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah but my old books (pre-interseine) have done pretty good.
    Long time ago you had to watch out for agenda driven changes with publishers.
    Nowadays...I just don't know!

This zionism stuff. The super churches. That guy down in San Antonio.
    :noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:
    :cool:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So the Gospel for the first Sunday of lent was when Jesus was in the desert being tempted by the devil.

(Luke 4:1-13 for those playing along at home.)

One particular passage that resonated with me this year - and I can't remember if we've discussed it here, was when the devil showed Jesus all of the kingdoms of the world and said "I will give you all this power and their splendour, for it has been handed over to me."

Superficially (and, I'll concede dogmatically,) this is a reference to all of the geographic/physical kingdoms.

But, I think there's another interpretation: the political structures.

That is, "all" of the kingdoms is a broad brush to describe several different kinds of governments. Granted, it was a narrow spectrum then. The liberal democracies were a millenium and a half away (basically). But, along with the reference to all of the power being handed to the devil, it almost seems like the power of concentrated political power is what's devilish.

I'm still mulling over if that could mean all governments may be instruments of the devil, or just highly centralized, authoritarian ones. Partly because, the "grant" of power (IMHO) did not come from God, but from those humans who governed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One particular passage that resonated with me this year - and I can't remember if we've discussed it here, was when the devil showed Jesus all of the kingdoms of the world and said "I will give you all this power and their splendour, for it has been handed over to me."

Satan lies. He's not above promising what he doesn't have to give.

So you got a sermon? All we got was a message explaining what's next for our church:
    Church moving to ex-YWCA site | Local | The Journal Gazette
    https://www.wane.com/news/local-new...at-former-ywca-wells-street-campus/1704267926

[video=youtube;tz5IU0oGZV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz5IU0oGZV0[/video]

In a few weeks we'll be getting a new name. I fear it won't contain the word "Baptist", and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Satan is the great deceiver. He will tell us whatever we need to hear for us to justify our sins.
    It is true that God cast him down to Earth and allows him to tempt us, but that doesn't mean the world is his to give, as he implies in this passage.

2c

-rvb

edit: scooped by JK. I knew I should have let that work call go to voice mail.....
    need to get my priorities aligned.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Sure, but he doesn't lie about EVERYTHING - that's the problem. It can be difficult (as humans) to distinguish. For instance, in that same passage, the devil truthfully describes what is in scripture. He just distorts it.

I guess that's another way of articulating what I'm pondering: is there truth buried in the "the power wielded by these governments has been handed to me." [My paraphrasing, obviously.]

Again, the deceptive part might be that he makes it sound like God gave him the power. I think there's another dimension to it - the people wielding the power hand it to Satan. Clearly, the examples of that in history are legion.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Sure, but he doesn't lie about EVERYTHING - that's the problem. It can be difficult (as humans) to distinguish. For instance, in that same passage, the devil truthfully describes what is in scripture. He just distorts it.

I guess that's another way of articulating what I'm pondering: is there truth buried in the "the power wielded by these governments has been handed to me." [My paraphrasing, obviously.]

Again, the deceptive part might be that he makes it sound like God gave him the power. I think there's another dimension to it - the people wielding the power hand it to Satan. Clearly, the examples of that in history are legion.
    It all started when the Israelites demanded a king, no?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Satan is the great deceiver. He will tell us whatever we need to hear for us to justify our sins.
    It is true that God cast him down to Earth and allows him to tempt us, but that doesn't mean the world is his to give, as he implies in this passage.

2c

-rvb

edit: scooped by JK. I knew I should have let that work call go to voice mail.....
    need to get my priorities aligned.

Yes She Is! :nailbite:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It all started when the Israelites demanded a king, no?

THAT is a fascinating question that I had not thought to ask. :)

Off the top of my head, it seems to me that there were "kingdoms" and "kings" before Judaism. That kind of birthright/might-makes-right political system predates monotheism (I think). Especially if that leadership model involved worshiping of the head of government, I think it would be fair to characterize those institutions as implements of the devil. They specifically violated the precepts of God, before God was even known (directly) to them.

There is probably a categorization of gentile kingdoms, Judaic kingdoms, and then "Judaic" kingdoms that were corrupted. But, at the time of Christ, Judea was really part of the Roman empire. So, I presume that it was the Roman empire that was shown to Christ as a "kingdom."

Or did you mean something else? :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Interesting potential for his deception and twist on words...

Yes She Is! :nailbite:

Lol

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    x21sosqgcal21.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ?
    everytime I read the Bible I take away something new and/or different, either because my experiences have changed, my knowledge has increased, someone else offers a different perspective, or God has a message he wants me to hear.....

I was saying it’s a good interpretation. :yesway: Nothing more.

-rvb

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Satan lies. He's not above promising what he doesn't have to give.

So you got a sermon? All we got was a message explaining what's next for our church:
    Church moving to ex-YWCA site | Local | The Journal Gazette
    https://www.wane.com/news/local-new...at-former-ywca-wells-street-campus/1704267926

[video=youtube;tz5IU0oGZV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz5IU0oGZV0[/video]

In a few weeks we'll be getting a new name. I fear it won't contain the word "Baptist", and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Do you have any good data on the rate of 'schismization'. If so, we should be able to predict how long it will take until ~4 million Baptists in ~10000 congregations become ~4 million congregations of one member each :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom