Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Zig,

I'm a bit concerned by this. Can you elaborate, or perhaps share your view of which "version" of the Bible is unchanged?

And to be clear, this isn't "gotcha" or anything. I do praise your interest in commonality, but it seems strange that you insist on an idea of "biblical" and now suggest that the Bible has been changed in history.

:)

I agree, that was a pretty broad statement I made. I'll try to narrow it a bit; however, I will not include the 7 additional books in your bible, I really am not up for that.

I was basically referring to JW, they changed the bible a bit. The LDS have made additions. We have gender-neutral bibles.....all kinds. While I am not an expert by any means, in addition to actual changes, the multitude of interpretations is mind boggling....all claiming to be christian. You have priests and bishops (leaders) in the RRC, you have Protestant preachers claiming stuff, Orthodox Christians spinning their own thing....I can tell you stories about protestants AND catholics (I attended catholic school for 9 years). I have walked out of a few churches because they preached a different gospel. I have seem men make a mockery of the Holy Spirit for personal gain. My 7th grade nun ran off with my godfather's brother who lived kiddie corner from the convent. One of our pastors married a parishioner. I knew gay priests and know gay married female ministers. I love them all, but I believe they distort the Truth to conform to their world desires.

I truly believe the Holy Spirit will guide those who submit to Christ......really submit; not just say it. I believe if you want truths, God is big enough, powerful enough and willing to help us discern truths. God knows our heart. Narrow is the road.....

And here we are.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My job is not to convince you that I am right...my job is to convince you I could be...the Holy Spirit will do the rest

That bears disturbing kinship with 'reasonable doubt'. If we do not accept your interpretation, is the fault in us or in our stars :)

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think it is scriptural to take care of your local community first and that means those in the church. That does not mean we should neglect others far away.
    The example of the Bible and the Saints is that we care for the beggar next to us and the Church first. Who was Paul collecting for? The Church. Who did the good Samaritan help? The guy on the road.

Repped for this specifically. Reading and participating in the Christianity subreddit can be challenging. About 20% of the posts are Atheists trolling. About 60% are mainliners "I don't know how anyone can be a republican and call themselves a Christian." I got downvoted a bunch for suggesting that local churches and causes are better outlet for caring for the poor than voting for progressive politicians.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @Bug

Foszoe is in a better position to respond to your question conveyed privately, but my understanding is yes - the Great Schism was as big of a deal as the Reformation. Now, I think that should be attenuated a bit: when Rome split off, it separated the Church into 2 (basically). The rise of Protestantism split the Latin church into many. I don't think there were very many churches that split from Orthodoxy in that process.

Having said that, I think the various Greek/Russian splits have more to do with the decentralization of administrative authority within Orthodoxy. They have a different approach to that kind of thing than the RCC.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    m9wu8x1bcr421.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You ever wanna do Calvinism vs Orthodoxy one on one I will give you some contact info and I'll put enough doubt in your mind you'll wonder why you ever considered it....

Of course it would be a considerable effort on my part AND yours so that's why I don't want to do it over an open forum where a myriad of rabbit holes often open up. (Talking hours not minutes over weeks of our lives)

Thank you for reading this thread and coming in with your learned opinion.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Oh and yes I have been drinking :)

You ever wanna do Calvinism vs Orthodoxy one on one I will give you some contact info and I'll put enough doubt in your mind you'll wonder why you ever considered it....

Of course it would be a considerable effort on my part AND yours so that's why I don't want to do it over an open forum where a myriad of rabbit holes often open up. (Talking hours not minutes over weeks of our lives)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Generally,

There have been schisms from the beginning. Any Orthodox or Catholic person that tries to say there was a monolithic church is neither biblical or correct. As Paul said (like I said I have been drinking and so no its not a direct quote but a paraphrase from memory). There have been and will always be divisions among you. That is to prove the truthfulness of the True Church. In fact the worst persecutors of the church are its own members.

The first major schism though occurred in the 4th century resulting in the Coptic/Oriental Orthodox Churches who accept only the first 4 ecumenical councils.

I think the Armenians are the same. These are all considered the Non Chalcedonian Orthodox because they did not accept the Council of Chalcedon. This has become mostly a discussion around a language barrier and hopes for reunion are high. Look up monophysitism (one will). It's probably too deep for here, but all heresy then and now, usually if not always revolves around Christology.

Christ has two wills, two natures united in one hypostasis. I ain't gonna explain it you can look it up if you are really interested.

The worst schism, in my opinion was of the East and the West and as always it started with good intentions. (What is the road to hell paved with?).

@Bug

Foszoe is in a better position to respond to your question conveyed privately, but my understanding is yes - the Great Schism was as big of a deal as the Reformation. Now, I think that should be attenuated a bit: when Rome split off, it separated the Church into 2 (basically). The rise of Protestantism split the Latin church into many. I don't think there were very many churches that split from Orthodoxy in that process.

Having said that, I think the various Greek/Russian splits have more to do with the decentralization of administrative authority within Orthodoxy. They have a different approach to that kind of thing than the RCC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom