• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I find it ... interesting ... that the discussion has (been) morphed from a questioning of the basis in the Word for such beliefs as confession and absolution thru priest modulated penance to finger pointing about how far short of obeying Christ's instructions and admonitions we come and asking for biblical underpinning for our beliefs

Welcome to INGO, you must be new here.

Wait.

You're not.

In fact, there's probably no one on here who deflects more than you.

Regardless, others have pursued the lowest common denominator approach spinoff, not I.

We can certainly argue interpretations of the verses underlying our beliefs (and almost certainly will) but those will just be interpretations of the existing Word, the meaning of 'is' is, if you will

I'm not sure you can come up with anything in the Word supporting confession to a priest and temporal absolution through penance, but I could be wrong

You go first
    Naturally.

So here I was, having worked up a draft of what I wanted to say on this matter, and was trying to discern when it would be ready. And voila, from an unwitting source, an invitation appears. Basically telling me to get on with it.

Well, here goes it.
    -------------------

Catholic Confession

First, I want to thank those who’ve “encouraged” me to address this subject. It has been a long time since I examined this matter, and there were points that I’d either forgotten or didn’t know. So, this exercise has incrementally increased my knowledge of my faith tradition, and in the process, increased my comfort with it. With some help from the Holy Spirit, perhaps some misconceptions can also be corrected.

Second, I feel compelled to remind everyone that this is an integrated response. It includes my own personal view (perhaps too much) along with dogmatic and biblical references. Any lack of clarity is probably a result of my flawed personal expression.

I will try to include references as much as may be appropriate. If I overlook something, or someone wants additional citation, please don’t hesitate.

Finally, I’m not looking to convince anyone that the Catholic way is the right way, or the only way. My goal is to at least allow non-Catholics the opportunity to know what formed this part of the Catholic doctrine, and maybe even understand that it is a reasonable position in the biblical sense.

This is far more explication than proselytising.

I’ll start with the easy part. Google. Here’s a semi-official site with some of these answers:
    https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/is-confession-in-scripture

There are certainly many others. I invite anyone interested in this to also do their own research.

The problem for me is that those kinds of sites can be hard to connect with. Worse, some of them are actually pretty confrontational/defensive. (Which would be unheard of here on INGO.) ;)

As someone interested in both language and history, that was my starting point for this effort. “Confession” in English is used a couple different ways. The version we’re NOT really talking about is in the nature of an admission or exhortation. “Confess that Jesus is Lord!” Ok. Yeah. That’s a “confession” of a truth, but not a particularly sinful one. ;) Obviously, the variation at issue is the “confession” of a sin. The admission of a truth of one’s wrongdoing. So it is not as simple as doing a search in Biblegateway for “confess” or “confession.”

The linguistic issue leads to the historical one. For Jews during the time of Christ, what was the practice of “confession” like? The concept is “vidui” and the related term “yadah.” The process for Jews would’ve been the context for His comments on the matter.

Here’s a relatively modern look at it:
    https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/1518774/jewish/Is-Confession-a-Jewish-Thing.htm

Also, the wiki has some good information.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession_(Judaism)

Unsurprisingly, there was a relatively rigid, formulaic structure to it. But, it involved speaking the actual words. It wasn’t a “in the quiet of your heart” kinda thing. It was an active presentation to God - albeit quietly - of the sin. Importantly, if the sin was against someone else, then it was necessary to confess it to that person.

Just at a human level, that makes sense. Admitting a sin to the one sinned against is difficult. Often painful. That difficulty and pain generally reduces the likelihood of committing the same transgression.

So the OT should be understood in this context. But, even the OT includes a role for priests. Leviticus 19:20-22 includes:
    And the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of guilt offering before the Lord for his sin that he committed; and the sin he committed shall be forgiven him.

Now, there’s the sacrifice issue… which I think we can all agree is an OT thing, and after Jesus (the perfect sacrifice), that part isn’t really a thing. At least not in the sense of killing something.

For my purposes, though, it reveals that at least some of the time - particularly those inter-personal sins, there is a biblical role for the priest. God is the font of forgiveness, but you may need to talk to the priest/guy-at-the-door to get there.

Of course, history is interesting, but I don’t know that any greater inspection is necessary for this. So I’ll skip to the NT.

But, I’ll start before Jesus. Well, before His apostolic ministry.

Mark and Matthew both refer to John the Baptist hearing confessions and assisting in repentence.
    Mark 1:4-5 said:
    John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

Matthew 3:5-6 said:
    Then the people of Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

So again, in the context of Judaism at the time, there is a human being in the role of hearing confessions thus plenty of biblical support for the role, leading up to Jesus. In Jesus’ time, the act of “confessing” included a physical articulation. That was the expectation. Anything else would be a deviation from that expectation. Having someone present to hear it was not always necessary, but there was nothing wrong with it. And sometimes, it was necessary.

Then the question becomes, did something change?

I guess I’m not sure how much of the NT stuff I should include here. My presumption is that everyone here is familiar with the “bound on earth, bound in heaven” references. While there may be disagreement as to the extent that suggests formation of the papacy and priesthood, I think it is fair to at least agree that there’s biblical support for the ideas of those things. That is, scripture CAN be read to support them, while not necessarily mandating that’s the ONLY interpretation. I will concede that, while I think the Catholic understanding (and likely the Orthodox) is the most righteous, I’m not willing to say that all other interpretations are false or inspired by Satan. (I have my suspicions on the matter, but that’s different.) ;)

The closest I can get to anything that changed are some clarifications about what’s happening in the process. In that vein, I’ll go into some perhaps more obscure passages that I think relate to confession.

One reference that I’ve always found curious relates to what is confessed. As a teen, I participated in Dungeons and Dragons. In the mid-80s this was kinda taboo among Catholic institutions, because it was feared to be a gateway into the occult and satanism. I knew some guys who spent alot of money on the various books.

Acts 19:18-19 said:
    Also many of those who became believers confessed and disclosed their practices. A number of those who practiced magic collected their books and burned them publicly; when the value of these bookswas calculated, it was found to come to fifty thousand silver coins.

Now, no one spent 50k silver on them, but I can see how the costs of those kinds of books would accumulate.

For the purposes here, though, my point is that the people confessed to the church their sinful practices, post-resurrection. I believe this kind of thing also happened with tax collectors and others who were generally guilty of misconduct. It was confessed openly, to make way for redemption and forgiveness by God.

The expectation was NOT that it was an internal thing. Rather, there was an external component to it.

In Romans, there are other references to “confessing with the lips” that could be taken as both confessing that Jesus is the saviour and confessing of sins. Which kinda makes sense at that time, right? A “confession” that Jesus is the messiah could easily have been construed as a sin by Jews. A comparable confession of Jesus as king would not go over well with the Romans. The suggestion of a requirement for a physical act of confession, out loud, was powerful. I see no support for the idea that one manner of confession was necessary to be out loud, while the other was ok to hide.

These expectations did not appear to change after the crucifixion. I am certainly open to contrary authority.

And, I think it important to note that after the bound on earth/bound in heaven, Jesus makes an equally important observation:
    Matthew 18:20 said:
    For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.

Confession to a priest, or other worldly confessor, has the unique advantage of having Christ’s presence in the process. To me, that is an important characteristic of person-to-person confession.

Ultimately, we are left with a kind of standoff. I don’t find anything saying the Catholic tradition is directly contrary to biblical teachings, while conceding that there isn’t anything stating that it is explicitly righteous. Those who ridicule the notion cannot biblically support the assertion that it is against Jesus or any sort of heresy.

There remains the matter of explaining what Catholic practice is, not just dogma.
    Forgivness - so hard for man to wrap their arms around; yet so vital in so many ways; results that can change our eternity.
    So, I walk into the confessional and share my sins to a man behind the screen. He tells me not to sin again and tells me to say 10 Our Fathers and 5 hail mary's. I leave the penalty box and go sit on the bench. I begin my random penalty and midway - I remember I will be late for my appointment. Run out of church thinking, "to be continued".

Are my sins forgiven? If so, at which point? If not, why? Do I need to finish my "works" to be forgiven? Is this one of those "church traditions" or is it biblical?

[Ed. - Zig, I have NO idea why this is getting split into 2 quotes. I've tried 6 different ways to re-join them, but it keeps changing it back. Sorry!]

Initially, and this was probably the root of the emotion in my first response, if that is your view of transactional confession, that’s just terrible. If that’s the way you view all Catholics treating it, I can understand the low view you would have of all Catholics.

In turn, it makes me suspect of how you view your own internal confession routine. If that same transactional angle is the norm, “Hey God, I’m really sorry I did that (or got caught doing it). I really hope I don’t do that again. Thanks for the forgiveness!” I don’t think that’s a good approach for anyone.

I cannot speak for all Catholics. There are surely some that treat it the way you describe. Perhaps worse, modern American Catholics don’t go to confession very often at all. For those who would treat it as a pro forma obligation like you describe, they are unlikely to even go. It isn’t at the right time. There’s so many other things to do. Cat needs waxing. Whatever. Instead of the above description, it doesn’t happen at all.

Rather, I think most Catholics treat confession in the same way that I hear non-Catholic Christians describe it. More of an internal process.

For those who do go regularly, it is an important part of their identity. I mean that in a good way. It isn’t something to brag about. But, it is something that helps them be closer to God, to have that elusive personal relationship with Christ. Somewhat ironically, the people that I’ve known who regularly go (they also tend to go to mass daily), are the least likely to have any mortal sins to confess.

This does lead to another potentially aggravating point: venial v. mortal sins. (The stratification is perhaps a topic for another day.) Venial sins are not required to be confessed to a priest. Venial sins are “normal” sins that don’t necessarily compromise one’s relationship with God, oneself, or others. Mortal sins are the ones that are more serious. Those DO need to be confessed to a priest, as they involve a separation from God and the church.

One resource:
    https://www.osv.com/OSVNewsweekly/B...36/ArticleID/7699/Confessing-venial-sins.aspx

The Catechism version:
    Catechism of the Catholic Church - The sacrament of penance and reconciliation

1441 Only God forgives sins. Since he is the Son of God, Jesus says of himself, "The Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and exercises this divine power: "Your sins are forgiven." Further, by virtue of his divine authority he gives this power to men to exercise in his name.

While some might object to the last sentence, we were recently discussing the Ascension and pentecost. Those passages are helpful to understand that Jesus did empower His followers.

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father's mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful...

Importantly, the Catechism has footnotes to scriptures and the writings of Augustine and others. I would encourage anyone curious about this, or any other aspect of Catholicism, to do some light googling on the matter, then go to the Catechism. It isn’t an easy read, but it is quite detailed.

I think it comes back to the question of whether the practice of confession, in the Roman Catholic tradition, is biblically supported. It is.

Is the practice prohibited by the Bible? It is not. Not in the OT nor in the NT.

Was the role of a priest in confession a practice in the early church? Yes, it was (although perhaps foszoe can better present those details).

I understand that my Protestant friends might view the priestly confession as unnecessary. It may be. But, I don’t think it accurate to say it is prohibited, or some heresy. As I’ve pointed out, it isn’t strictly necessary for Catholics all the time, either.

Some of the more esoteric questions, like “At what point are we forgiven?” invite my response of, “I don’t know.”

I mean, it isn’t like I have some great insight into God’s methods. :) It makes sense to me that God forgives us when we are fully contrite. There are many passage about forgiveness, but I don’t know that there’s a specific moment that can be derived from all of them.

When I find out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, I’ll be able to answer both questions!

It is worth emphasizing that I am not presenting this to mock or denigrate any other belief tradition. I have no need or desire to. I think this is a matter of individual conscience. As far as I can tell, I have not mocked or denigrated anyone’s beliefs. There are things I am truly ignorant of, though, so I invite anyone to let me know if I cross any lines.

Hopefully, this post might give someone pause before mocking or denigrating the Catholic tradition on this point.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I left a while back because I am not willing to have a fight with people that say they believe in Christ.

The problem in this thread is there is a problem with the difference in perspective between CHRISTianity and Catholicism

CHRISTianity = Total trust in CHRIST + nothing - nothing. A belief that anyone can have access to Salvation through Christ and him alone. That is only the beginning of the journey of service to Him in gratitude for the Eternal Life he has already bestowed.

Catholicism = Trust in the CHURCH to bring you into a relationship with Christ. A belief, whether admitted or not, whether Roman or Orthodox that salvation is through Their Church and Their Church alone.

These beliefs are consistent and there is no commonality, the contrast is as simple as works, because of Salvation or Works for salvation.

The main reason I dropped out was because I was summarily told that the thread had discussed church authority and that was settled.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I left a while back because I am not willing to have a fight with people that say they believe in Christ.

The problem in this thread is there is a problem with the difference in perspective between CHRISTianity and Catholicism

CHRISTianity = Total trust in CHRIST + nothing - nothing. A belief that anyone can have access to Salvation through Christ and him alone. That is only the beginning of the journey of service to Him in gratitude for the Eternal Life he has already bestowed.

Catholicism = Trust in the CHURCH to bring you into a relationship with Christ. A belief, whether admitted or not, whether Roman or Orthodox that salvation is through Their Church and Their Church alone.

These beliefs are consistent and there is no commonality, the contrast is as simple as works, because of Salvation or Works for salvation.

The main reason I dropped out was because I was summarily told that the thread had discussed church authority and that was settled.

Oy vey.

This part:

Just... no.
    giphy.gif

How can a belief be "not admitted"?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

Excellent explanation, I get that. I was probing because I was hoping to find some common ground that all Christians shared before "organized" christianity came into play.
    When Christ ascended into heaven, all they had was Christ leaving and the Holy Spirit arriving. There "seemingly" was a continuity of faith; there was unity.

I was hoping to find that amongst us all here. Since Christmas is around the corner, I was thinking about allot of stuff. If Christ was not born, Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox would not exist. I was hoping we could share in the glorious birth of Christ, being He is Christianity.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When Christ ascended not heaven, all they had was Christ leaving and the Holy Spirit arriving. There "seemingly" was a continuity of faith; there was unity.

For a short while. If anything, Paul's letters show that the early church struggled with unity at the same time the Apostles were spreading Christ's message.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I'm not sure you can come up with anything in the Word supporting confession to a priest and temporal absolution through penance, but I could be wrong

You go first

This is an example of why simple doesn't mean simple

I read John 6 and it says I must eat the body and blood of Christ.
    I read the last supper and Christ says take eat this is my body, take drink this is my blood...

To me, the meaning of those passages is simple. The bread and wine are the body and blood of Christ. Furthermore other passages tell me that this meal is for the remission of my sins and we should do this often.

Now, several other people will tell me that is NOT what those passages mean that it is not that simple. Who is right?

Now I can show you biblical passages that support confession of sins to others. I can show you passages that show sins were forgiven because of the actions of others, I can show you passages where those in leadership were given authority over others. I can show you passages about the blessings and consequences of those actions.

But unless the reader of those passages agrees with my simple understanding of those passages there is not a way forward to reach an agreement.

That being said, I wouldn't use scripture to support penance or temporal absolution. I may not understand for certain what you mean by temporal absolution.

Penance however came about because of a mistranslation by Saint Jerome when he was scribing the Latin Vulgate. Christ said "Be Penitent" passive voice, but the Latin translation was Do Penance, active voice.

That one error led to penance as it is now understood as an action not as a way of being or life. Ultimately resulting in the rise of indulgences.

Penance and Indulgences are not part of the Orthodox faith.

We do have a practice of a Therapy which is similar to a Penance but it is not focused on temporal absolution, but on healing. Now not having practiced Roman Catholic confession I do not know if a penance is given at every confession, but I know therapies are rare. I seldom get one. I can't specifically remember the last.

My favorite story of a therapy was told by a priest.

During Lent Orthodox become mostly vegan. This priest, while he was in seminary, had issues with pride. His spiritual father assigned him the following therapy. He was to eat meat everyday during Lent in the school cafeteria. He was to sit with all his seminary friends, AND he was forbidden to tell anyone WHY he was eating meat during Lent.

This is important story for another reason. It illustrates the Orthodox concept of economia which literally means house rules. The Church has rules, but the ones who are spiritually responsible are able to bend or alter those rules, within limits of course, to help YOU achieve salvation. That is why the thief on the cross is not the model for salvation but the great exception as we call him. God can save anyone at anytime through any means. We can not limit that. However we should also not EXPECT that. We should do what we are told to do for salvation and for what we fail to do we rely on Gods mercy, grace, and love which is his ability to save anyone at anytime through any means.

Many people view a Church with rules as a bad thing. They view it as works based salvation.

Now I know that is simply not true. The correct understanding of Church rules is amazing simple to me and I am sometimes astonished at how complicated other people make it.

Why is that?

We are using the same words/language but they mean different things to different people. Right now I believe Ziggidity for example thinks of salvation as simply forgiveness of sins/escaping from hell/going to heaven. For him that is simple. To me that is incomplete. I think of salvation as healing. To Dead Duck that seems to be complex, to me it is very simple.

Lets try to illustrate this a little to flesh it out.

In human language. A person who speaks Arabic fluently finds speaking Arabic very simple. An English speaker would find understanding the Arabic to be very complex and difficult, if he could at all. This is at the level of Muslim Christian Dialogue. A western Christian hears Allah and thinks Muslim, he doesn’t think God. In the Antiochian Orthodox Church, you will hear Arabic prayers and God is referred to as Allah. Now a western Christian hearing an Antiochian Christian pray may not even recognize them as Christian and may even view them as Muslim.

A Greek speaking Christian will use several words that have vocal cognates into English. Sometimes an English speaker may recognize enough words to get the meaning sometimes not. Even more so with Spanish to English. Cognates will be recognizable in written form.
    Finally English English vs American English. Two parties will mostly understand each other but there are terms ie spanner or bonnet, where an American would have difficulty understanding the Englander.

So where does that leave us? I think most Protestants are on the English-English level. I think Catholics and Protestants are on an English – English level with an occasional Spanglish-English moment. I think Orthodox and Catholics are at the Spanglish-English level about 50% of the time the other 50% split between English English and Greek English. I think Orthodox and Protestants are at the Spanglish – English level 75% of the time. This is due to Greeks simply understand Greek better and that is what the NT was written in. The west was based on Latin and only later returned to the Greek as a source but never really returned to understand Greek as the Greeks did.

So get out your bibles. Read Matthew 5-7. Read Matthew 25 especially 31-46.

Matthew 25:31-46

“When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the [c]holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer [d]Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Now based on those passages, I simply believe that salvation includes good works. Now most people will say that means I believe in a works based salvation, but for me, that is simply untrue. However, a protestant will have to do some work by going elsewhere in the scripture to show me that works are not part of salvation. Why? Because our work is understood completely differently as is what salvation means. I would pull out the NT concordance and look up the word sozo. That word is translated in English as saved, healed, (made) whole and a few others. When Orthodox talk salvation we take a holistic approach that embraces all senses of the word while Protestants tend to narrowly define it.

Hebrews 5:11-6:8
    of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

Spiritual Immaturity
    12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the [a]oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of [c]use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

The Peril of Not Progressing
    6 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to [d]perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this [e]we will do if God permits.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [f]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

The language talks about coming to need milk and not solid food. That is one danger of not doing any works. Spiritual regression is not salvation. Furthermore, I would read vs 4-6 as we can lose our salvation if we are not continuing to do the work of the Lord. I would read 8 as a warning to those who do not do works of the Lord.
    Now what are the natures of these works? See Matthew above. However, the Church places a limitation on these also based on the words of Jesus. If I do good works for personal recognition then any salvific benefits are negated. They must be done in secret. Some Orthodox would even take that to mean, if I do financial good works I do NOT claim them as such on my tax returns because I am disclosing my “good works” to others.
    So how should we understand these works?

Matthew 25:14-30

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.

29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

We are given talents. We are expected to do something. Protestants think of these works as additive so they think we believe we are earning salvation. We would say no, its multiplicative due to free will. God times 1. I do those works because God has healed my free will so that I am able to do my works but if I continually say no then I am the servant who buries the talent, or God times zero. In my typical experience no protestant worth his salt will accept my understanding. Now I hope we can agree that 1+1 and 1X1 are equally “simple” but simplicity is simply not all there is to it. The servant who is given the free gift of one talent does not sound like he goes to heaven.

Finally Matthew is entirely a gospel of hearing and doing what you are told. How can you call me Lord and not do what I tell you?

Finally, circling around to simplicity and the role of the Church, whether it be confession, how we worship or whatever. The fundamental difference is again found in how we view salvation. Protestantism is fiercely individualistic . Its God and me. Orthodoxy is communal. So for protestants the only actions that are possible to be considered are Gods and mine.

Let me try an illustration. Electricity.

Let’s say you are an amateur handyman around the house. You want to add a ceiling fan/light to an existing circuit. You may write a procedure or you may not. Most likely you will just identify the circuit breaker for that circuit, open that circuit, complete your wiring then flip the circuit on and hopefully the result is you have a working light and ceiling fan. This is illumination for Christ is the light of the world and the Holy Spirit for he is the wind or breath of God. This is a vertical view of salvation. It involves no one else but You and God.

Now let’s say you are a lineman and you are getting ready to work on a 345 kV circuit. Now, you could apply the same procedure as above open the circuit breakers on both ends, do your work and close back in the circuit breakers at both ends. That is very similar to the procedure above. It could work but may not. On the bulk electric system there are a myriad of things that could go wrong for you, as a lineman, are not isolated from all other work that is going on. So over the years utilities have come up with tried and true switching methods. Prior to switching out that line, someone is going to study where the power flowing on that line will go and see if that causes anyone else a problem. Sure you can open the circuit breakers but since they are just big boxes how can you be quickly sure they are open? There are disconnects that are opened on either side of the circuit breaker that provide a visual cue that the circuit breaker is out of service. There may or may not be a static charge on the line, so its best to put grounds on the line to protect you from static or an unexpected electrical source. So you do all these things then you leave the substation and go miles out to do your work. Now you may or may not complete your work and remain alive but wouldn’t it be great if there was a method to let others know you are doing work? That is why you hang a tag on that circuit breaker with your name on it. That tag cannot be removed unless you give the OK and there is no way someone comes in and closes in that CB.

I could go into more detail but I hope by now you understand where I am going. Salvation is vertical but it is also horizontal. It involves other people.

Now I believe Ziggidity and Dead Duck would object to the second example when applied to salvation because its too complicated or complex. To me it is amazingly simple. You are given switching orders by someone else, you, working under the crew supervisors follow those orders to a tee. And at the end of the day you go home safe. Having more “steps” doesn’t increase or necessarily equate to an increase in the level of difficulty, it actually simplifies the whole process. It provides assurance that you will go home safely.

The church has 2000 years of experience writing switching orders that produce saints. Why would I want to reinvent the wheel on my own with just the Bible? Nothing else in life do we approach in such a manner but when it comes to our salvation it is ok? Most people wouldn’t take a Chilton’s manual and without ever lifting the hood before begin a complete teardown and rebuild on a brand new car they just drove home with confidence but when it comes to salvation its perfectly normal in some traditions.

So to put it in western terms, when it comes to salvation, I believe that everything you are told to do in the bible is necessary but none of it is sufficient. Sufficiency is on God’s end.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, many posts later, maybe you will understand that was the subject of my posts. If is is not, then how deep do we go to find the similarities. If that is not one of the similarities, then what is. It truly is a question. We do believe in Jesus, correct? That is a start? No?

You come across of having great knowledge of the bible, my hat is off to you. I am asking to share that so I can understand the similarities we may share. If there are none, then say it and so be it.

You ever get tired of dancing?

Never, for one way Orthodox try to explain salvation is the the dancing metaphor. God leads, we follow. We do that our entire life.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was hoping to find that amongst us all here. Since Christmas is around the corner, I was thinking about allot of stuff. If Christ was not born, Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox would not exist. I was hoping we could share in the glorious birth of Christ, being He is Christianity.

I can gladly get into that!

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Irmos: Christ is born; glorify Him! Christ comes from heaven; come to welcome Him! Christ is on earth; lift up your hearts! Sing to the Lord, O earth! Be exalted and sing with hearty gladness, O ye people, sing His praise for He is glorified!
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Man was made in the image of God, but he sinned, and lost immortality. He fell from the divine and better life, enslaved completely by corruption. Now the wise Creator fashions him again, for He has been glorified!
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The Creator shaped man with His own hands, but when He saw us perishing eternally, He bowed the heavens and came down to earth, and clothed Himself completely in our nature, truly incarnate from a pure and holy Virgin, for He has been glorified!
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Wisdom, and Word, and Power, Christ our God is the Father’s Son, His Radiance. He was made man, a mystery concealed from every spirit above or on the earth. He has won us for Himself, for He has been glorified!
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Katavasia: Christ is born; glorify Him! Christ comes from heaven; come to welcome Him! Christ is on earth; lift up your hearts! Sing to the Lord, O earth! Be exalted and sing with hearty gladness, O ye people, sing His praise for He is glorified![/FONT]

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    This is an example of why simple doesn't mean simple

Thanks, allot of time went into that post. While I was reading it, James 2:14 kept coming to me. "Faith without works is dead" While you appear to say that good works is a part of salvation, I believe works is the result of salvation. That is a key difference, as I see it.

There is no doubt in my mind that works is important and the bible speaks volumes on it, but the works is not part of salvation. I cannot think of any passage that states you must do "works" to obtain salvation. Yes, I am one who believe you can lose you salvation regardless of good works. That is important because, IMO, clearly states that faith is needed for salvation and losing your salvation is turning away from God - regardless of your good works. Faith is not a result of good works, but rather good works is a result of true faith.

Did the man who buried his money have faith?

There certainly is mention of good works in the Bible, but whenever one mentions salvation, entering into His kingdom, being saved......not once, that I can recall, starts with works or good deeds but rather by faith in Jesus Christ.

We will have to agree to disagree. It is very simple in "our" eyes and hearts. The common ground I have been looking for is Jesus Christ, Christ alone. I still believe that is true even if we disagree on salvation. Christ is the reason we are discussing christianity, it is our common thread. It is what holds "us" together. That one commonality, Jesus Christ, cannot be disputed. Everything else can be interpreted differently but Christ alone is the center. I think that is important and I value that, even in you and others who I may disagree with. One cannot deny Christ is what holds us together; remove everything else, Christ is still there. You may not even agree with that, but it's ok. I'm not asking you to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom