• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne

While I've been figuring things out I ran across this: Christian Denomination Selector, a SelectSmart.com Religion selector. Ask about my top result.. It asks you what you think about different doctrine issues and attempts to figure out which denomination would appeal most to you.

Running through it a couple of times, changing around answers here and there, it kept telling me that Episcopalian would be the church for me. After reading about an Episcopal church in New York displaying a statue of a female Jesus called "Christa"
    https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...op-defends-nude-female-jesus-object-devotion/

My response was "So what else ya got?"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I Timothy 3, Titus 1

Interesting, thanks. The Papal rules came about as an anti-corruption issue, IIRC. It's been quite awhile since I read up on it and I don't recall all the reasoning. I remember there was a ban on children of clergy from inheriting property, complaints of nepotism, but that's about all I remember.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While I've been figuring things out I ran across this: Christian Denomination Selector, a SelectSmart.com Religion selector. Ask about my top result.. It asks you what you think about different doctrine issues and attempts to figure out which denomination would appeal most to you.

Running through it a couple of times, changing around answers here and there, it kept telling me that Episcopalian would be the church for me. After reading about an Episcopal church in New York displaying a statue of a female Jesus called "Christa"
    https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...op-defends-nude-female-jesus-object-devotion/

My response was "So what else ya got?"

:laugh:

https://babylonbee.com/news/report-episcopalians-may-still-exist/

https://babylonbee.com/news/episcopal-church-burns-man-stake-believing-biblical-inerrancy/

https://babylonbee.com/news/37-episcopalians-remaining-planet-vote-stop-using-male-pronouns-god/

https://babylonbee.com/news/episcopal-priest-forced-to-resign-after-revealing-he-believes-in-god/

https://babylonbee.com/news/progressive-church-replaces-pew-bibles-with-adult-coloring-books/

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    DhbR_yHXcAECxw9.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I looked into it a bit, and apparently the rule on married priests is 100% within the control of the Pope. Any Catholics feel free to correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but there are some things that are "Dogma" that the Pope can't change. Other things that aren't under the "Dogma" heading can be changed by the Pope at will. Married priests has been changed several times in Catholic history, as it doesn't fall under "Dogma".

Married Catholic priests? There are perhaps 120 in the U.S. already. Here's how details some of the recent changes.

Yeah, this has been an issue from the beginning of the church. Some dogmatic issues, internal and external politics, all contribute to the different practices at different times.

You're basically right, from what I know. (Bishops have some trickle-down authority on who can be priests, but it is basically the Pope.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

ABC21 previously spoke with a pastor of Remnant Fellowship, who said at the time their message is an attempt to "...reach young people and steer them away from a lifestyle they believe is harmful to them."

Good grief. Yeah, I'm sure some gay kid is going to drive by your sign and instantly repent. :rolleyes:

News flash: everyone knows that the historical Christian view is that homosexuality is sinful. You don't have to put up a sign to tell people.

...although, putting up that sign does help decent Christians from falling into you den of hate by accident.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, this has been an issue from the beginning of the church. Some dogmatic issues, internal and external politics, all contribute to the different practices at different times.

You're basically right, from what I know. (Bishops have some trickle-down authority on who can be priests, but it is basically the Pope.)

There used to be (i.e. 400 AD) just a handful of bishops (e.g. The Bishop of Rome aka Pontifex Maximus), but now there's a lot, and they're under archbishops, who are under cardinals... right?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Catholics believe baptism removes original sin? :dunno:

I understand that part to be saying that Duterte says baptism can remove original sin.

The actual Catholic understanding is more complicated. Maybe he's saying that; maybe he isn't. I honestly can't tell.

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/p...-infant-baptism-you-must-explain-original-sin

A re-simplified version:
    We are born with original sin. Through baptism, we are "born again" as Christians. This "removes" the taint of original sin as "inherited" from Adam.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Morning reading from 1 Corinthians 10:28-11:7.

I would read these, hinging on 27, "do not believe" and vs 33 "may be saved" from a free will perspective that by my choices some may be saved. I would probably favor a stronger reading that because of my choices others may be saved.

How or why would my choices matter in front of an unbeliever in terms of their being saved from a Calvinist perspective?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Morning reading from 1 Corinthians 10:28-11:7.

I would read these, hinging on 27, "do not believe" and vs 33 "may be saved" from a free will perspective that by my choices some may be saved. I would probably favor a stronger reading that because of my choices others may be saved.

How or why would my choices matter in front of an unbeliever in terms of their being saved from a Calvinist perspective?
    I'm not even sure how soteriology factors in to this passage.

...wait...

Ah, you're looking at "may be saved" and seeing how Paul is writing about our actions regarding arguably minor laws concerning religion (e.g. eating half price beef left on baal's altar) and our attitude can influence others. Only a fool would say, "there's no free will, so it doesn't matter what I do, God will save who he wants... I don't need to worry about the salvation of others." I know of no Calvinist that believe that. I know of plenty of people who ascribe that belief onto Calvinist (my wife is one of them).

One need only look to the great commission to realize that God uses us to reach the lost. Simple observation shows that the unrighteous acts of Christians can turn away other Believers.

Did God predestine those events? Arguably, yes.
    Am I still an agent of God's work and accountable for my actions? Unanimously, yes.
    Just thinking... but some of the most tireless crusaders in the field today are Calvinist (.e.g. Ravi Zacharias). Amirite?

v 33 is a powerful verse and a warning... seeking our own glory and preaching a gospel of condemnation can lead others to hell.

EDIT:
    That whole passage is insightful (well, maybe not the part about hats), especially in the days of "mye riiights". Me, I love beer. But if I'm eating out with a tea-totaling Christian, then for the sake of their conscience, it's water for me. Likewise, if my conscience tells me to boycott Target, then I can boycott Target. However, I shouldn't tell you you're wrong from shopping there.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom