Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    joel-osteen-quotes-73.jpg

I'm pretty sure Joel thinks that includes God, too.

Heh...Yeah. This comment reminds me there are churches out there that will gladly tickle your ears.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, T.Lex... I was listening to the Catholic Channel, I believe the local station, or maybe SiriusXM...

There was ad after ad about "come back to the Catholic faith" and "Look to the Catholic Church" and "Catholicism has the answers" and "Catholic..."

:xmad:

What about Jesus and scripture?!

Is this this really what the current state of the RCC? Or did I just get the wrong message?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, T.Lex... I was listening to the Catholic Channel, I believe the local station, or maybe SiriusXM...

There was ad after ad about "come back to the Catholic faith" and "Look to the Catholic Church" and "Catholicism has the answers" and "Catholic..."

:xmad:

What about Jesus and scripture?!

Is this this really what the current state of the RCC? Or did I just get the wrong message?

Oy vey. :D

So, my first thought - having a passing professional knowledge of ad buying - is, "Who the heck is paying for this?" I kinda remember seeing some individual churches advertising on TV, especially non-denominational ones, but I wonder if this is actually the best use of tithes. I mean, it isn't like the RCC has any shortage of name recognition out there. (I suspect it was the US Council of Bishops or some related entity.)

But, to actually answer your question, it kinda comes down to the marketplace of ideas thing. There's probably been polling that tells church leaders that alot of the people who left during/because of the priest-child molest situation are still out there. Calling out to them to return makes some sense.

Personally, I would prefer a message closer to what I've seen from other religious advertising. Something more along the lines of, "God wants you to find Him." Sure, the RCC would prefer people to join (re-join, as the case may be) the RCC, but more importantly, we should be about helping all people with their faith formation.

There is also a bit of pop culture history here. I think the RCC was early into the broadcasting of mass both on radio and TV. I wouldn't be surprised if that XM station was entirely run as part of a Catholic outreach, so there was no ad buy. That was just dead air time that they filled with the pro-RCC messsage.

Of course, there's also another criticism that is unavoidable - if the RCC has all that money/loot, why don't they spend it on doing God's work? My father in law has expressed some annoyance that the Pope in Rome is surrounded by the earthly richness of the church. Liquidating just a portion of which could fund all sorts of things. That gets into the area of safeguarding what God has entrusted to the church and the tangled theological mess that goes with it.

Marketing of a church/religion is always going to be tricky business. (Pardon the pun.) I'm not sure where to draw that line. But, I certainly can't fault you for raising the issue.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They were a mix of ads and PSAs filling time at the top of the hour.

It was either this (most likely):
    https://www.redeemerradio.com/

Or this:
    https://www.siriusxm.com/thecatholicchannel

Does the Church think they are "the answer" or do they think Jesus is?

Yes. ;)

So, dogmatically (using simplified language), it is the RCC's position that it holds the role of being the most traditionally accurate denomination. (There's overlap with Orthodoxy, and that gets into some VERY obscure stuff, but let's leave that alone for now.)

In the eyes of the RCC, the best way for people to walk with God the Trinity is in the footsteps of the RCC. For me, that is also true. I spent time in my youth looking around the marketplace of ideas. (I think I've mentioned that around here sometimes.) Or, perhaps the better analogy is wandering in the desert. ;) :D

Ultimately, I do believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic church. (Notice the lower case "c" for catholic.) ;) I believe I am where God intended me to be.

I try to have the humility to recognize that where I am may not be where God intends others to be.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Happy feast of Sts. Peter and Paul!

OK... the protestant heads to Wikipedia to see what this feast is... mhmm... ok.... Miracle of the Moose?! ... well that's an interesting story...

The best we can do is the Miracle of the Cream of Mushroom Soup. It's a can of soup they removed the little proof of purchase tag, so the Baptist school could buy gym equipment... they put the can back into the pantry, then the soup went into a casserole for Sunday's potluck.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    OK... the protestant heads to Wikipedia to see what this feast is... mhmm... ok.... Miracle of the Moose?! ... well that's an interesting story...

The best we can do is the Miracle of the Cream of Mushroom Soup. It's a can of soup they removed the little proof of purchase tag, so the Baptist school could buy gym equipment... they put the can back into the pantry, then the soup went into a casserole for Sunday's potluck.

Story is odd. Greek monks don't eat meat year round. Never heard it before

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've been lurking on this thread off and on for a while, and more so the last couple of weeks. To make a long story short, after about a 20 year gap, I went to church last Sunday. So if I end up posting a lot of stupid questions on this thread, I hope you all will be patient.

Here's one to start off. I was raised baptist, and that's my wife's church background as well. That's where we went Sunday. But I've been looking seriously at another denomination. Does anyone attend a separate church from their spouse? For the record, there are no "what about the children" issues that will crop up.

YES go to church together!

ill also extend an invitation to Faith Baptist on Trier. If you want to visit, let me know so we can be sure to say hi or so you can have someone you "know" to sit with. If you want to know more before you visit, shoot me a PM.

-rvb

Last edited:

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you rvb, and JK as well for the invitations. I just might take you up on that.

The wife works late tonight and I got off early today so I decided to check out the Saturday service at St. Peter's Lutheran. A bit of culture shock there, I've never been to a service that was regimented. I'm not sure if I count that as a positive or negative but I'll mull it over.

It occurred to me today that all of my church shopping notions come down to the answer to one question: Just what exactly is going on with that cracker? Call that stupid question #2.

Pedo- vs credo-baptism is a wash for me. I never wanted kids and the baby factory is closed anyway, so I'm content to let God sort that one out. But I'm not sure where I come down on the Lord's Supper/Communion/Eucharist: Ordinance or Sacrament issue. In all the years I went to church as a kid I can remember taking part in it exactly once. And I can't say it made much of an impression at the time.

Researching different doctrines, I have a better understanding of how it is viewed as a sacrament. Which seems like a good way to worship and I like the idea of a direct mechanism for receiving grace. I just don't know if it's something I believe. The Scripture on it seems to be open to interpretation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom