Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Feels like those sorts of stories that pop up when modern issues arise.

They want pro-CBD legislation passed? Let's say Jesus used it!
    They want anti-gun legislation passed? Let's say Jesus probably would have hated guns!
    They want to change the name of a street? Let's say Jesus hated that name!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is there anything marijuana can't do or cure? Judging by crap like the above and by the stuff certain people post that shows up in my FB feed, the answer is 'no'.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://fox59.com/2018/06/30/indianapolis-priest-found-guilty-of-domestic-battery/

I'm assuming the media is screwing this up somehow, but Catholic priests can't be married can they? I though this was a rule from the Pope since at least the 1100's.

It is my understanding if they are married before becoming priests, they stay married.

I looked into it a bit, and apparently the rule on married priests is 100% within the control of the Pope. Any Catholics feel free to correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but there are some things that are "Dogma" that the Pope can't change. Other things that aren't under the "Dogma" heading can be changed by the Pope at will. Married priests has been changed several times in Catholic history, as it doesn't fall under "Dogma".

Married Catholic priests? There are perhaps 120 in the U.S. already. Here's how details some of the recent changes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Feels like those sorts of stories that pop up when modern issues arise.

They want pro-CBD legislation passed? Let's say Jesus used it!
    They want anti-gun legislation passed? Let's say Jesus probably would have hated guns!
    They want to change the name of a street? Let's say Jesus hated that name!

We do the same things in the church.

https://babylonbee.com/news/archaeologists-uncover-jesuss-gulfstream-jet/
    And one I tried to use to get upgrades for the sanctuary:
    https://babylonbee.com/news/archaeologists-unearth-state-art-stage-lighting-used-sermon-mount/

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you rvb, and JK as well for the invitations. I just might take you up on that.

The wife works late tonight and I got off early today so I decided to check out the Saturday service at St. Peter's Lutheran. A bit of culture shock there, I've never been to a service that was regimented. I'm not sure if I count that as a positive or negative but I'll mull it over.
    Be advised, that's also a school, i.e. no gun zone.

It occurred to me today that all of my church shopping notions come down to the answer to one question: Just what exactly is going on with that cracker? Call that stupid question #2.
    That's not a stupid question at all, in fact it's pretty important. The question you need to ask is: why are we doing this, what's the point of communion? I know where I stand, but you need to decide for yourself.

For those who know (because I don't): do Lutherans practice open communion? I.e. can anyone professing to be a Christian take part?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I looked into it a bit, and apparently the rule on married priests is 100% within the control of the Pope. Any Catholics feel free to correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but there are some things that are "Dogma" that the Pope can't change. Other things that aren't under the "Dogma" heading can be changed by the Pope at will. Married priests has been changed several times in Catholic history, as it doesn't fall under "Dogma".

Married Catholic priests? There are perhaps 120 in the U.S. already. Here's how details some of the recent changes.

Gee, maybe we should just let the Bible decide this issue. :whistle:

It is my understanding if they are married before becoming priests, they stay married.
    I believe that's the rule in the Eastern Ordodox church - so choose a healthy girl.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ugh. Back to work today.

Last week, my church hosted Mission Serve for the 4th year in a row, a youth missions organization with which our youth group has been involved for many years.
    After 4 years, we've improved about 60 homes around town, including new roofs, wheelchair ramps, painting homes, and other misc projects for those who didn't have the means to do it themselves.

It's an amazing week, immersed in service, evangelism, and nightly worship. Literally lived at the church for a week....

Here are a couple of video highlights of the week (no, I'm not in any of the vids).

Just felt like sharing.

-rvb

Neighborlink, volunteers from southern states build ramp for Fort Wayne woman

hmm.. can't seem to get this link to work...
    cut/paste and remove space after ://
    https:// vimeo.com/277868746

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For those who know (because I don't): do Lutherans practice open communion? I.e. can anyone professing to be a Christian take part?

It depends on which Lutherans you're talking about. Those associated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (moonbat Lutherans) practice open communion. Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (going up the conservative scale) practice closed communion.

To give you an idea, WELS openly states on their website that the Papacy is the antichrist. While this is the ELCA pastor that's been showing up on my Facebook feed:

AlYHWWPt.jpg

"One third of her church is part of the LGBT community, and she also has a "Minister of Fabulousness", Stuart, who is a drag queen... Heavily tattooed, she is considered a "perfomative pastor"

Pass.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    It depends on which Lutherans you're talking about. Those associated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (moonbat Lutherans) practice open communion. Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (going up the conservative scale) practice closed communion.

To give you an idea, WELS openly states on their website that the Papacy is the antichrist. While this is the ELCA pastor that's been showing up on my Facebook feed:

AlYHWWPt.jpg

"One third of her church is part of the LGBT community, and she also has a "Minister of Fabulousness", Stuart, who is a drag queen... Heavily tattooed, she is considered a "perfomative pastor"

Pass.

[video=youtube;nf0oXY4nDxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I've got an easy way to solve this...easy if you want accuracy, not so easy if you have an agenda.

Go to the earliest source materials for the Bible translation you are using and use male pronouns and terms when male is used, female where female is used, and neutral where the neutral is used. Depending upon the translation, some male terms may move to neutral, but far from all, in fact, just a few. None will move to female.

English is hardly the first language to have gender.

I will note that as much as some people want to make the world believe the concocted fantasy that there are no gender differences, men and women, and fathers and mothers are different and the terms have different denotations and connotations. God the father is neither male, nor female as we understand it, but has chosen to describe Himself as "Father". To change that is heresy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

AlYHWWPt.jpg

Pass.

:):

I wasn't going to open the door on WELS v. MS v. ELCA... but I'm glad you've got a good understanding of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom