• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How many years did the Phelps family run "protests" outside of the funerals of those they thought were gays and it was just fine? Heck, they were even applauded by some people of faith as being willing to "tell it as it is", etc.

Now where are the Phelps'? Scum of the earth. Why? Because they took on soldiers and said the EXACT SAME STUFF at their funerals. Now people are willing to call them out for what they are. Now people do everything they can under the law, and sometimes just beyond the law, to shut them down.

But before it was ok, because somehow it was different. I guess it just depends on who you do it to.

I still think the Phelps family, as with all protesters have the God given right to have a protest without having to get a permit. I also think they are in no way people of love, and will have a lot to answer for on judgement day.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    "Christians" and "homosexuals" are not that much different when it comes to shoving each others' views and lifestyles down the others' throats. :twocents:

Well, christians just want to shove "ideas'' down your throat.....
    I'm sorry, but you left the door open.

Sadly, I saw that inbound as well... Jr. High rhetoric dies hard. :):

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Problem is, your posts belie your newly professed love for Christians. Every time the subject is brought up, we are treated to lengthy posts about how hateful, intolerant, etc., we are. Even your last sentence in your empty protestation continues in that vein.

Yes Joe.... You're far too smart for me to fool. I'll just go lick my wounds whilst you go pray to the invisible man who flies around in the clouds that help some but destroys others.

I wish that I could I could as factual-based and logical as you. My downfall was being told that the easter-bunny, santa, and the tooth-fairy were all made-up. If I had only understood that 3 of these ridiculous "beings" were false but the 4th one was "real". Well..... "duh"!!! :n00b:

I guess that's why I hate all christians... except when I am loving them.

:laugh:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    How many years did the Phelps family run "protests" outside of the funerals of those they thought were gays and it was just fine? Heck, they were even applauded by some people of faith as being willing to "tell it as it is", etc.

Now where are the Phelps'? Scum of the earth. Why? Because they took on soldiers and said the EXACT SAME STUFF at their funerals. Now people are willing to call them out for what they are. Now people do everything they can under the law, and sometimes just beyond the law, to shut them down.

But before it was ok, because somehow it was different. I guess it just depends on who you do it to.

I still think the Phelps family, as with all protesters have the God given right to have a protest without having to get a permit. I also think they are in no way people of love, and will have a lot to answer for on judgement day.
    :+1: Sorry I can't rep you again.

My only point is...I have enough problems keeping my own doorstep swept clean without worrying about someone else's. But if I do voice my disdain....I better be prepared to hear it back. To work...it has to work both ways.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My downfall was being told that the easter-bunny, santa, and the tooth-fairy were all made-up.
    Whoa...hold the phone here... ;)

dead_santa.jpg

easter-bunny-dead.jpg

smiley_sad.png

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    For the record, I would not have worded the signs the way they were worded at this protest. I think their point was to emphasize the health risks involved is choosing to live one's life this way. There are a few posts that question why Christians take a such an interest in the "private" actions of another individual. To understand the answer to that you have to understand the Christian paradigm. The concept of sin has become watered down and doesn't carry the weight it should without context. Homosexuality is a sin. It is a sin whether it is done openly or in private. It is contrary to the nature of God. All sins are equal.

If I were to walk around with a sing that said, "Murderers go to hell" I am sure there would not be the uproar over how unloving or judgmental I was being. Name any widely recognized vile act; child molesting, rape, cannibalism, incest, etc. A sign condemning any of these acts would go unquestioned as to the legitimacy of my conclusion or the virtue of my intentions. Yet remember, all sins are equal. If I form an impure thought about the waitress that brings me my waffles I am just as deserving of hell as any murderer or homosexual. All I have to do is miss the mark of God's nature and I have sinned. It is much less that Christians are intently concerned with the private choices of others but rather the common sin nature of all of us.

I have dabbled in apologetics to varying degrees for some time. I have to admit I grow weary of the old worn out anti-Christian rhetoric. I tried to address this earlier in the thread but it seems to have gone unheeded. It is usually some combination of you are judgmental, you might as well believe in Santa Claus and you think you are better then everybody else. There are variations to the them but this covers the bases well. All of which are quite present and accounted for in this thread. I could use up all remaining bandwidth explaining the shortcomings of these arguments. Just consider that if you can't argue specifically on the merits that red herrings are probably of little help to you.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    :+1: Sorry I can't rep you again.

My only point is...I have enough problems keeping my own doorstep swept clean without worrying about someone else's. But if I do voice my disdain....I better be prepared to hear it back. To work...it has to work both ways.

I encourage freedom of speech regardless of the message. Hate speech? Who determines what is and what is not hate speech? You might just find yourself on the polar opposite side of what is acceptable speech.

My problems with the GLBT's is they want to make what they do privately in their bedroom, required learning for children. They want everyone be forced to agree with their chosen lifestyle or be classified Haters.

Just as we keep religion out of schools, there is no need to teach lifestyles. That is why we have parents. The liberals have inundated society with these alternative lifestyles. How many sitcom's don't have at least one in the cast?

I have a mind of my own and no amount of labeling me will get me to bow down in shame and change my way of thinking. Understand this, not condoning or agreeing with the action of others, does not equal HATE. No matter how badly people want it to.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I encourage freedom of speech regardless of the message.
    :+1:Agreed completely. I'm sure in some people's eyes my statements have been taken as being pro-homosexual and anti-Christian. This is however, not the case. God has already told homosexuals that the path they have chosen is a sin. He then gave them free will to make their own choices.

They have chosen to turn their backs on the word of God. No amount of pressure from me will change their path. Although I should have the right to stand on a street corner and warn them of their pending eternal damnation...I frankly don't believe it's my responsibility or place.

John 8:7 Let he that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.

Matthew 7:1 Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

Romans 2:1 Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

This seems to be God's way of telling me to mind my own business. But I'm sure there are many Biblical scholars out there that know waaaaay more about the subject than I do that could set me straight.

But for now...until I achieve perfection...I'll worry about myself. I have my hands full. :twocents: My wife would have no problem telling you how imperfect I am. ;)

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    For the record, I would not have worded the signs the way they were worded at this protest. I think their point was to emphasize the health risks involved is choosing to live one's life this way. There are a few posts that question why Christians take a such an interest in the "private" actions of another individual. To understand the answer to that you have to understand the Christian paradigm. The concept of sin has become watered down and doesn't carry the weight it should without context. Homosexuality is a sin. It is a sin whether it is done openly or in private. It is contrary to the nature of God. All sins are equal.
    The Bible also tells us to obey the laws of man. Peter 2:13-17

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority,
    14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.
    15 For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
    16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.
    17 Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

If this is taken literally...were these men sinning by disobeying a city ordinance prohibiting these actions? (remember...all sins are equal)

Or do we only take the Bible literally when it meets with our approval and furthers our cause?

Or do we not allow religious arguments into our rights (Constitutional or otherwise)? A complete separation of church and government.

I'm not seeking an argument...I'm seeking views.

Last edited:

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but a group like this used to come to "Peoples Park" in Bloomington every year. They are obnoxious.

I agree with techres that they should have the right to speak and "protest", but I'm not going to be around so they can "be heard".

Having lived in Bloomington for 20 years, I have many friends who are queer as 3 dollar bills. Trust me, they are not sinners. They are just good folks who are different than you. Not one of them tries to educate or convert anyone about being a lesbian or being a gay man. They just want to live life together with someone they love the same as we all want to.

Freedom of Religion not only means the freedom to be Christian, it also means freedom to be free of the religious beliefs and dogmas of others. Thank God for that.

-Calvin

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Being gay is not a choice no more than is being born with no arms nor legs or some other abnormality. Having said that, I don't think that it would be in good taste to hold up a sign that says that being born with one arm is some kind of damnable sin and the one-armed and armless are going to hell in their own special place of torment. I think the sign was a bit inflammatory. Nevertheless, an a$$hole has the right to be an a$$hole. We all gripe about CNN being biased. Let's not let us do the same thing and not be challenged to get things, er, uh...straight.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Being gay is not a choice no more than is being born with no arms nor legs or some other abnormality. Having said that, I don't think that it would be in good taste to hold up a sign that says that being born with one arm is some kind of damnable sin and the one-armed and armless are going to hell in their own special place of torment. I think the sign was a bit inflammatory. Nevertheless, an a$ has the right to be an a$. We all gripe about CNN being biased. Let's not let us do the same thing and not be challenged to get things, er, uh...straight.

Prove to me with scientific fact that being Gay is not a choice?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I doubt there will ever be sufficient evidence to convince you. That's a bar set at a level that science will never be able to meet. :)::):

Homosexuality is a sexual preference towards the same sex.
    Being born with it is bunk.
    Can Pedophiles claim the they were born with a sexual preference towards children?
    Can people who practice bestiality claim they were born with a preference toward their favorite animal?
    We all have sexual preferences and we choose which impulses to act upon. That is choice.
    Many people have fantasies they would never act on, others act with out conscience.
    These are all choices.
    Some choose to abstain.
    The idea that you were born to be gay would go against the species ability(instinct) to survive. Regardless if you believe in God or not, no species would survive if it's trait to reproduce was replaced with same sex behavior.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    well being born deformed, insane, mentally handicapped, or a midget also goes against the survival gene. im torn as to whether i think its a nature or nuture issue. i dont really care about it all that much though. i cant say i have any gay friends, but im not entirely against the idea. i wish i could meet some lesbians. =(

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Prove to me with scientific fact that being Gay is not a choice?

There is some work being done with Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) to study if a homosexual person's brain has a different construction than a heterosexual's brain and/or if is a "wiring" issue. From what I have read it is being attributed, so far, to being a wiring issue. The next step question is whether or not the person is born homosexual or heterosexual or if atmosphere during childhood is the key to wiring a brain one way or the other. The doctors can prove that different areas of the brain are stimulated between a homosexual and a heterosexual brain, but the cause has yet to be determined.

From what I have read in some of the scientific journals over the last five years or so the doctors that have the opinion that homosexuals are choosing that lifestyle and have in-patient programs to re-wire their brains have been a complete failure. The "success" cases greatly tended to revert back to their previous lifestyle as little as two years out of treatment and the longest was 10 years out, IIRC.

A curve-ball that is thrown into the mix are those individuals that actually do choose one lifestyle over the other due to curiosity or experimentation. A non-scientific "proof" would be a website like postsecret.com where persons send an anonymous postcard to the site with a secret from their life inscribed on it. I have seen several over time to the effect of, I tried to be straight for you but that is not who I am. I'm sorry..." or "Dad, I could never tell you before you died, but I'm gay." My reason for bringing up this website as anecdotal evidence is because the persons writing the secret have nothing to gain by admitting that they are straight, gay or bi-sexual.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom