• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Just for the record, I was never asked if I was carrying a firearm when I walked in. I'm assuming they thought I was too young. :dunno: I'm only 22, but have the appearance of a 16 year old. It also probably didn't help that I attended with my father, so I definitely looked like a minor if they had any doubts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    WOW. Interesting forum.

I must be superman, because I went to the show, had no problems, and taking a color tie off after the show was cake, without even using tools.

If someone were to actually fire a gun in a gun show, with all the active, retired, and off duty cops that are there, the person would already be dead before you could draw even if there was no tie on it. Look, I am as paranoid as the next person, and probably more so because I have an ex wife who is psyco and I have been stalked, but a little rational thought goes a long way. Leave the tie on or leave the weapon at home.

Luke76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Question. Do off duty LEO have to check their carry pistols?

I went a couple shows ago with a LEO friend of mine and he just showed them his badge at the table. They asked him if he was going to be taking it out and he replied with only if I have to and they let him go on in.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WOW. Interesting forum.

I must be superman, because I went to the show, had no problems, and taking a color tie off after the show was cake, without even using tools.

If someone were to actually fire a gun in a gun show, with all the active, retired, and off duty cops that are there, the person would already be dead before you could draw even if there was no tie on it. Look, I am as paranoid as the next person, and probably more so because I have an ex wife who is psyco and I have been stalked, but a little rational thought goes a long way. Leave the tie on or leave the weapon at home.

As we've seen, you're MUCH more likely to get shot from a negligent discharge rather than an act of violence. But everyone thinks they need to be prepared to be the hero should the SHTF.

Now, where are those sand barrels at the entrance?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    absolulty not.
    that's just terrible advice and a good way to get you banned for life and in some serious trouble/jail time.. even the people with booths aren't supposed to have loaded guns.
    DO NOT IN ANY WAY LOAD YOUR GUN INSIDE OF THE BUILDING OR PUT THE LOADED MAG BACK INTO THE GUN.

Absolutely not getting jail time for breaking a "rule". It's not a "law". On Friday they lady just asked me if I had any guns. So I gave them the glock I needed to have work done on. (And left my other CC gun where it was).

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When I came in (after the mandatory new 2 hour wait), there was a pile of 9mm on the table in front of one of the officers checking guns.
    I couldn't keep quiet about it so I asked (already knowing the answer) "What are those for?"
    The officer replied "Some dumb@55 that couldn't read.
    So, I asked him how much he wanted for them.
    He didn't think I was very funny so I went on through the line.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We all argue that law abiding citizens should not be prevented from owning and carrying firearms. But, if a proprietor, including the Indy 1500, says no guns, or has other conditional rules (zipties), then if you ignore those rules, you are trespassing and therefore breaking the law. Not okay with the rules, don't go.

I was there on Friday with a LEO friend. He showed his ID at the door and then covered up. He had zero problems leaving without ID or a receipt. I bought a new rifle. I had no ziptie or any type of locking device. I showed a receipt on the way out. Lots of backpacks left without inspection, so I would imagine that there were probably a few guns in those that the person just said "no guns" on the way out. Speculate all you want about how it plays out, but the only fact is that you are a lawbreaker if you don't follow the rules and you're part of the problem with gun shows. Don't like it, don't go.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    We all argue that law abiding citizens should not be prevented from owning and carrying firearms. But, if a proprietor, including the Indy 1500, says no guns, or has other conditional rules (zipties), then if you ignore those rules, you are trespassing and therefore breaking the law. Not okay with the rules, don't go.

In Indiana, signs do not hold weight of the law. You have to be verbally asked to leave (and then NOT leave) to be considered trespassing. If you're asked to leave, and you do so, no law was broken.

PS: Obviously this does not include places like post offices, schools, and government buildings.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It was sarcasm, they don't use it on your other board?

Silly, Rookie! Sarcasm is for kids! They'd never allow such antics with beter [sic] discourse.

It's threads like this one on gun forums that tells us that there are sooooo many amongst us who shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun, let alone carry one. Those of us who carry responsibly need to be at the forefront of figuring out how to keep guns out of the hands of those like the nuts in this thread. We need to do so before the libs do it for us in a way that screws it for all of us. There are just way too many losers, like those posting in this thread, who we don't want carrying a gun.

We need to figure this out for ourselves and propose a solution....before it's done for us. If you're going to attend a gun show, at a premise leased by the show promoter, and can't show them the minimal respect of obeying their rules while there, we don't want you carrying a gun. Period. This isn't the same as going into a restaurant that is posted no carry. There, the restaurant didn't ask you, individually, if you were carrying and make clear to you, individually, that you weren't welcome if you were. At the 1500, they ask you TO YOUR FACE if you are carrying a gun. They are paying for the show. It's their money paying for the liability insurance. Who the f... are you?

Some really stupid, worthless kids on this forum who need to grow up. And....stay away from guns.

Really? Thanks for your opinion.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I don't care if you have a permit or anything else. If the rule of their building and yes it is the events building since it was rented to them is to not have any loaded firearms then just abide by it. The same as if you enter a gun shop with the same rule or someones house where they ask you to not bring in a loaded weapon. If you don't like the rule and don't want to abide don't go. We are all under scrutiny as fire arm owners right now and one idiot already shot himself with an AD at the 1500. all it will take is one mishap inside resulting in a dead body and no more show. if you can't be safe at least be respectful and follow your hosts rules.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bet that feller who shot himself would have been better off had he just left his gun in a concealed holster - and not having been forced to unload it.

Remember folks - we all should know that the less a firearm is handled (IE taken out of the holster, unloaded, reloaded, coonfingered, etc), the less chances for a negligent discharge / accidental discharge.

If the argument for leaving a holster and not touching it during a traffic stop (for officer safety and all...) is valid, and it most certainly is, then the argument SHOULD be the same in this instance.

At the very least - since the show is going to ask (read: require) patrons unload and show unloaded firearms - then the show should also be compelled to provide a few sand barrels / traps which would allow the MUCH more safe unloading going in and reloading going out.

-J-

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes.

I bet that feller who shot himself would have been better off had he just left his gun in a concealed holster - and not having been forced to unload it.

Remember folks - we all should know that the less a firearm is handled (IE taken out of the holster, unloaded, reloaded, coonfingered, etc), the less chances for a negligent discharge / accidental discharge.

If the argument for leaving a holster and not touching it during a traffic stop (for officer safety and all...) is valid, and it most certainly is, then the argument SHOULD be the same in this instance.

At the very least - since the show is going to ask (read: require) patrons unload and show unloaded firearms - then the show should also be compelled to provide a few sand barrels / traps which would allow the MUCH more safe unloading going in and reloading going out.

-J-

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012

-J-
    ^^this^^
    I was surprised there was no barrel set up. This would be a good and productive recommendation to make to the organizers.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They also ask that you show ALL firearms "bought or brought with you" as you leave, to ensure the orange zip tie has not been removed.. Not that you couldn't lie if you felt that yo be necessary but I'd hate to be you if you were to get caught.. Doesn't seem worth it, (imo)

benzkomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Unless you are looking to trade it, might as well keep it in the car, otherwise, its like carrying a paperweight to the show. Carry a knife for protection :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Unless you are looking to trade it, might as well keep it in the car, otherwise, its like carrying a paperweight to the show. Carry a knife for protection :)

right. let me keep a several-hundred dollar investment in my car at the fairgrounds during a gun show.

Got it.

NOTHING of value is in my car when I visit the state fair grounds. It's not worth it. Way too many break-ins. And if there's a team of folks casing the parking lot looking for folks "stashing" things in their vehicle - then walking to the gun show doors...

I really do wonder how many vehicle break-ins happen at the Fair Grounds on "Event Weekends" or throughout larger shows like the Boat, Sport, & Travel Show and/or the State Fair.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    agreed

I agree. Why not just leave it at home for the day. Its not worth the hassle of dealing with the security gards. Not to mention, if anything does happen, there are plenty of guns and ammo to go around. Funny though. The dealers at the show can wear theirs.?.?.

Top Bottom