• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I actually went through this situation about a month ago. I believe it was our 3rd date before she found out about it. We were watching something on TV and she made a comment about how she had never shot a gun. I just turned to her and asked her if she wanted to. She said "right now"? I said yeah, then blah blah blah. She is cool with it. I will be taking her to shoot some guns soon. I haven't OC'd around her yet but I only OC about 10% of the time anyways.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Even though I started this thread half in jest, and half in curiosity about people's carry policy in potentially awkward situations, it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps the ladies of this forum (are there any?) would have a more pressing reason to carry: what if she has to protect herself from the date? My guess is that more date rapes happen than robbery when you are out on a date.

Da Bing

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When I met my current girlfriend, (who for some reason has not run screaming in terror at any point over the past two years,) I CC'd my .45 to our first date.

It came up, and I earned major man points for that; turns out her mother runs a 2A rights group up in Michigan.

Now, when we go out, she always gives me the seat facing the door, and she always walks on my left side, (so my right hand is free.) As soon as she gets her residency adjusted, she is going to apply for her permit.

I've carried on dates before, as well, and just not said anything.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    If I was still dating, I'm thinking CC, caliber unimportant. Location of the CC is something to consider, though, and would depend on what I was wearing.

And if things started progressing to where my CC would become visible, I'd have planned ahead how to remove whatever clothing by the bedside and probably lay my shirt over the top of it. Concealed means concealed, but that means it's still there, ready for use if needed.

Blessings,
    Bill

That's my sweetie, considerate at all times. When we first met, it wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest if he was either oc'ing or cc'ing a gun. He got off the plane in jeans, cowboy boots, and a Cowboy Hat. He's a Texan after all!

It wouldn't have bothered me in the least either, my dad had a 1906 Savage .380 pistol that I had owned after he died. My dad had insisted I become familiar with it as a child, so I would know what to, and what NOT to do, in any given situation. Which translates into "It's Daddys gun, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!" My mom was an AntiGunner, and the less she knew, the better she liked it. Bill would have informed me of it one way or the other, since I knew almost everything about him anyway, having been friends for several years via the computer, before we actually met in person.

I already knew he was honest, open, truthful, considerate, and very responsible, so him telling me about having a gun would just have meant that I had to be careful where I tickled him. Which I soon learned he hated anyway, so that eliminated that problem from the "gitgo". Size wouldn't have been a problem, don't you know that ALL Texans carry Colt.45's? At least in the movies they do. LOL All he would have needed to round out the set would have been a boot knife that he could have thrown if he ran out of bullets.

Honestly tho, since as I already said, we were friends, it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Now had he been someone I didn't know, and was out on a first date with, I'd have probably freaked. Forewarned is appreciated, and if you don't, it becomes a trust issue, as in "ok, what else are you hiding from me that I feel I need to know about? Why are you carrying a gun? Are you going to rape me if I say NO? Are you planning on robbing something/one? etc., etc., etc.," Speaking for myself, without the knowledge I have now, I'd have been suspicious from the very start, and that would have probably been the first, AND the last date. Honesty is always the best policy, but for heavens sake, don't clobber her over the head with it, let her get to know you, what type of person you are, whether she can trust you or not, if you have any issues she isn't comfortable with or about, and generally become friends first.

As we practice here (as in at home), a "friend" is someone who knows all about you, all your qualities and your faults, and loves you anyway. And friendship is based on honesty and trust. Without them, the relationship is doomed to fail from the start. So go slow, be subtle, but be honest, without coming across as bragging or a showoff. Not to many women I know (actually, none of the women I know) either like or even tolerate that type of person of either gender, but especially men. Just one female's 2 cents.
    7th Stepper (aka Mrs. BOR)

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    ROFL! Easy JetGirl, Bill and I date all the time, even spur of the moment stuff like, "hey, that movie's finally out, wanna go?" Or surprise dates like we had for our 17th Wedding Aniv, he took me to "The Beef House", a place we've never been before, and I got to get all gussied with "war paint" (as I call it) up for.

Granted we don't do things like "roller skating" (I've already had 1 hip replaced, I'm not going for 2) putt-putt golf (boring!) or those little race cars that you drive around in on an inside track, but we do fun things like picnics, swimming, hot tubing, even going to Appleseed events is fun.

And going together to somewhere we both enjoy is always a fun "date". The only thing we don't "do" as dating, is go shopping, bores the heck outta him! LOL We do go to the Mall, "just cuz", but he usually takes me for a drag past the jewelry stores, with a terrified look on his face if I go "ohhhhh, I like that!" Scares him silly.

We even go to the range together as a fun outing, and I learn a lot from him while we're there at the same time. So we do date, just not in a totally traditional way. Heck, we even hit Dennys at 2AM for breakfast if we're still up and hungry, but don't feel like cooking. And he's the one who always wants to pay, then he takes his half out in kisses.

See, I told you it'd get mushy! Have a good one girl! I hope you find (or have) someone who's the ying to your yang, like we are. Hugs! Bobbie (aka 7th Stepper)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Devil's advocate: knowing that most women are simply opposed to guns on an irrational basis rooted in fear of the unknown and ignorance, it's very likely that the in-your-face surprise exposure to something she doesn't like is going to solidify her in that position even more.

Keeping it under wraps allows you to gradually and respectfully introduce her to the subject. You can find out before you break OPSEC where she stands and your chances of turning her.

This wise advice carries over to certain other areas, as well.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    He speaks the truth. :p

I have thought about those Smart Carry rigs, but I have a hard enough time keeping my gun from printing in my pants as it is, without adding a pistol on top of it. :yesway::rockwoot:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think barrel lenght is more important than caliber for a first date.
    Then with the good holster your date will be impressed. :D

main.php
    Nice holster, but I think it's an very good way of being "Half cocked" for the rest of your life! So I trhink I'll pass on this holster! :rolleyes:

DrFaulken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hey, that guy with the SmartCarry looks familiar -- because it's me!

There's always some uniformed comment about a negligent discharge with the SmartCarry, but it's been over three years without an incident of any kind. I've carried a PF-9 or Glock 27 in the SmartCarry for probably close to 5000 hours since I bought the holster, always with one in the chamber.

It does make for a more, uh, pronounced profile, so be wary of false advertising on your first dates :)

If you'd like to read about my experience with the SmartCarry you can check out my blog:

SmartCarry concealed holster review | Gibberish Is My Native Language
    Is that a gun in your pants, or are you just happy to see me? | Gibberish Is My Native Language
    SmartCarry wear and tear update | Gibberish Is My Native Language
    Concealed Carry on a Motorcycle | Gibberish Is My Native Language

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    If it is important to you and part of your every day life then she needs to be comfortable with it. Otherwise you aren't a match.

Top Bottom