• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Over how many years? They mentioned speeding up an interchange that was apparently planned for long time. is the whole cost of the interchange included? Over the amount of time the incentives run, what is the tax revenue?

I have no idea; I imagine the $141.5M figure is inclusive of all incentives to include infrastructure, job training, and tax abatement.

I'm not an accountant or an economist, but I have a hard time believing governments would provide incentive packages for businesses unless they project the net gain to the tax base will more than offset the expense of the incentives.

Honda got another $860k in tax credits earlier this year to add a new production line and 100 jobs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have no idea; I imagine the $141.5M figure is inclusive of all incentives to include infrastructure, job training, and tax abatement.

I'm not an accountant or an economist, but I have a hard time believing governments would provide incentive packages for businesses unless they project the net gain to the tax base will more than offset the expense of the incentives.

Honda got another $860k in tax credits earlier this year to add a new production line and 100 jobs.

Really? Govts play with imaginary money. It's not hard to believe at all. Gainfully employed people doesn't mean a profit, or even a break-even solution. It means happy people, and more importantly, votes.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Really? Govts play with imaginary money. It's not hard to believe at all. Gainfully employed people doesn't mean a profit, or even a break-even solution. It means happy people, and more importantly, votes.

Hmm. I wonder if there are any studies out there about the average cost of a vote. Not just the amount of campaign money spent, but pork, graft, and even what might be construed in our current system as legitimate streams. It would be hard to figure, but it would be interesting to see a half-way educated guess.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hmm. I wonder if there are any studies out there about the average cost of a vote. Not just the amount of campaign money spent, but pork, graft, and even what might be construed in our current system as legitimate streams. It would be hard to figure, but it would be interesting to see a half-way educated guess.

Well look at it this way. You're a typical politician, and a business in your state is about to leave putting 1,000 people out of work. If you provide monetary incentives, over the next 10 years, to the business they will stay. Those incentives with put your budget in the red slightly, over the next decade, but there's a possibility that eventually you'll be back in the black if you can get the business to stay past the 10 years. What would you do? It's a gamble, but it certainly isn't that uncommon (i.e. federal government, and anything, lol).

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well look at it this way. You're a typical politician, and a business in your state is about to leave putting 1,000 people out of work. If you provide monetary incentives, over the next 10 years, to the business they will stay. Those incentives with put your budget in the red slightly, over the next decade, but there's a possibility that eventually you'll be back in the black if you can get the business to stay past the 10 years. What would you do? It's a gamble, but it certainly isn't that uncommon (i.e. federal government, and anything, lol).

Yeah, it would be hard to pass up. Plus, if these politicians have souls, there is the emotional component of having the ability to save those people's jobs, and that would be hard to ignore. What would make it easier is that Indiana runs in the black, and has a war chest. If they make some smart cuts elsewhere, it may not even hurt that much.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    [video=youtube;WzLsvAaVe4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzLsvAaVe4Y[/video]

Eat a bag fat bag of dicks obama.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wasn't around at the time, Kut. Did you gripe this much about the GM bailout, or the stimulus, or were you cool with those?

I hated the GM bailout, and the banking bailout. Both setting the precedent, that businesses can be as reckless with other people's money because the govt will come into rescue them. The keep their money when they turn a profit, and we lose money paying for their losses. Don't get me started on that crap.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Until my income tax goes up because tax breaks of corporate tax breaks why should I care?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hated the GM bailout, and the banking bailout. Both setting the precedent, that businesses can be as reckless with other people's money because the govt will come into rescue them. The keep their money when they turn a profit, and we lose money paying for their losses. Don't get me started on that crap.

This has been going on for a long long time.
    The railroads were bailed out back in the day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wasn't around at the time, Kut. Did you gripe this much about the GM bailout, or the stimulus, or were you cool with those?

Yeah it seems no matter what gets done it is going to irritate somebody. regardless.
    Not saying this is right or wrong.
    I am just stating the fact that this man, president "Elect" is already feet on the ground meeting leaders and working on fulfilling his campaign promises.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    GM and the banks were on a completely different scale. FEDERAL not STATE...and, anything that gets a "too big to fail" label irritates me a number higher on a logarithmic scale than the Carrier deal.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Top Bottom