• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I hated the GM bailout, and the banking bailout. Both setting the precedent, that businesses can be as reckless with other people's money because the govt will come into rescue them. The keep their money when they turn a profit, and we lose money paying for their losses. Don't get me started on that crap.

There is a big difference between reducing the tax burden, ie letting them keep more of their own money, on a company and actually giving them tax dollars via a bailout.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    There is a big difference between reducing the tax burden, ie letting them keep more of their own money, on a company and actually giving them tax dollars via a bailout.

Yes, it's not the .gov's money in the first place. It's money NOT confiscated from the business.
    People get so excited for a tax return like it's a bonus check from .gov or something.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I hated the GM bailout, and the banking bailout. Both setting the precedent, that businesses can be as reckless with other people's money because the govt will come into rescue them. The keep their money when they turn a profit, and we lose money paying for their losses. Don't get me started on that crap.
    Sorry to get you started on this crap, but...Talk about a waste of our tax dollars. Let's not forget the GE plant in Louisville. Obama got them $86,000,000 in loans and now they are owned by a Chinese company. How about the cash for clunkers?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So the original headlines said something about lower overall taxes and regulations.

Now it's looking like specific tax breaks for this company, and possibly the threat of losing Federal contracts for its parent company.

The first sounds great, and I hope he does it. The second just gives them a leg up on the competition. Yeah, it'll keep some jobs here for now. But others will have to leave if nothing else changes.

I hope he's serious about reforming the tax code and deregulating.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    [video=youtube;WzLsvAaVe4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzLsvAaVe4Y[/video]

Eat a bag fat bag of dicks obama.

Sig line worthy if I've ever seen it.

T-shirts.

Yeah it seems no matter what gets done it is going to irritate somebody. regardless.
    Not saying this is right or wrong.
    I am just stating the fact that this man, president "Elect" is already feet on the ground meeting leaders and working on fulfilling his campaign promises.

The fact that he tried to fulfill a campaign promise at all, much less actually got it done, much less did it before he's even POTUS boggles my mind. My jury is still out on the Donald, but he's setting a precedent of doing what he said he would do. That is refreshing and gives me hope for the future.

Yeah, ask ABC snooze why this other company is wanting to move in the first place..... might have something to do with the current policies of the last 8 years. Call me crazy.

You are crazy.

Hush! Don't be burdened by facts and logic!

Yes, it's not the .gov's money in the first place. It's money NOT confiscated from the business.
    People get so excited for a tax return like it's a bonus check from .gov or something.

That's why I want to scream when people talk about "how much this will cost us" or "how much it will cost the state." Tax breaks don't cost us or the state anything. It's not our money and it's not the state's money.

Yeah, picking favorites is not a great thing and we should be moving toward eliminating corporate income taxes altogether, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not a "cost" to anyone when a business is relieved of a tax burden for whatever reason.

Well, unless "you" are one of those people who are entitled to someone else's money. That's completely different.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Agreed 100%. I cannot stand when someone indicates that it's the government's money. It is not.

The fact that he tried to fulfill a campaign promise at all, much less actually got it done, much less did it before he's even POTUS boggles my mind. My jury is still out on the Donald, but he's setting a precedent of doing what he said he would do. That is refreshing and gives me hope for the future.

That's why I want to scream when people talk about "how much this will cost us" or "how much it will cost the state." Tax breaks don't cost us or the state anything. It's not our money and it's not the state's money.

Yeah, picking favorites is not a great thing and we should be moving toward eliminating corporate income taxes altogether, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not a "cost" to anyone when a business is relieved of a tax burden for whatever reason.

Well, unless "you" are one of those people who are entitled to someone else's money. That's completely different.

Agreed on all of these. And I'm not sure it's picking favorites. Maybe it was more of a "you take these jobs out of the country and you are just no longer in the competition. If you keep these jobs here, you can retain the ability to bid like anyone else..." We'll probably never know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    that is the way it should be........ship jobs out and we won't do business with you......
    Agreed...

Really? Govts play with imaginary money. It's not hard to believe at all. Gainfully employed people doesn't mean a profit, or even a break-even solution. It means happy people, and more importantly, votes.

Since when does gainfully employed not equal income tax, sales tax, property tax, etc from those folks, plus downstream economic benefit? Also unemployed folks generally cost $, if they stay in the state and stay unemployed for any length of time.

Well look at it this way. You're a typical politician, and a business in your state is about to leave putting 1,000 people out of work. If you provide monetary incentives, over the next 10 years, to the business they will stay. Those incentives with put your budget in the red slightly, over the next decade, but there's a possibility that eventually you'll be back in the black if you can get the business to stay past the 10 years. What would you do? It's a gamble, but it certainly isn't that uncommon (i.e. federal government, and anything, lol).

Are you thinking that these business are actually getting tax credits beyond what they are paying, or just a tax reduction? Seems to me getting some tax money and economic activity is better than none in this case.

Generally, I think it comes down to what your thought is on whose money it is?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Right and isn't Indiana one of the states that is working within its budget?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    How's this for a slap in the face.... Rexnord is bringing the Mexicans hired to run the production in Mexico to the states, so the 300+ workers that are loosing their jobs can teach them to run the jobs
    Now that's a hell of a good bye

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How's this for a slap in the face.... Rexnord is bringing the Mexicans hired to run the production in Mexico to the states, so the 300+ workers that are loosing their jobs can teach them to run the jobs

Just shows absolute lack of respect on Managements part.

In the end some of this is Union. I have worked both ball fields. I see the differences.

That said this is not cool. Not at all.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So during the election CNN interviewed the workers in the union hall.
    A sign stated " a worker voting for a republican is like a chicken voting for colonel Sanders" how do they feel now?
    Also one of them was in a HRC campaign commercial ?
    Talk about out of touch!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So during the election CNN interviewed the workers in the union hall.
    A sign stated " a worker voting for a republican is like a chicken voting for colonel Sanders" how do they feel now?
    Also one of them was in a HRC campaign commercial ?
    Talk about out of touch!

Yeah I wish one of our local news organizations would get that person's opinion now....

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I'll bet the current employees give all kinds of good advice.....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You're barking up the wrong tree. I didn't make the comparison between the two. I answered a question about my thoughts on the bailouts. Theres no indication that Carrier was making bad decisions. They simply could have wanted to improve their bottom line. Nevertheless, while its good for some of the people to keep their jobs at Carrier, the fact remains their being given carrots that other businesses who remained U.S. based aren't getting. And if we're going to talk a differences, there's a big difference, from punishing businesses for moving out of the nation (as Trump said), and rewarding them to have them stay. If I was a large business owner, Id have my staff "explore" looking into foreign relocation, spread the rumor to my employees, and see if I might be able to offset a couple million dollars.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just shows absolute lack of respect on Managements part.

In the end some of this is Union. I have worked both ball fields. I see the differences.

That said this is not cool. Not at all.

I can't find the article right now, but I read the wages in Mexico are going to be about $3.50/hr. I know folks like to say union wages drive companies away, but I don't see non-union jobs competing at that level, plus the ability to avoid environmental regs. If we're going to compete purely on labor costs and we don't mind if our air quality is the same as Mexico's, the race to the bottom will be a real short one...but at least we won't live as long so less worry about retirement savings. Bright side!

Top Bottom