• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I nave been reading up on the cameras and they are very expensive. Sooooo I started looking at grant applications for police force camera purchases and found a lot of towns/counties/citys/states are recieving grants for this purpose. How would one go about this? Could it come from a non-goverment person or does it have to start with the police department/someone in polictal office? Thought it would be pretty easy,but guess nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

tweekie1

Go the grant route. That'll make the cameras that much cheaper.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Jackson County has cameras in all its cars?

Even the 800 person town of Medora with one paid officer. The cameras cost $2000 each. When you think about the cost of a car and equipment it's not that much. The departments like it because of officer safety and the Prosecutor likes the evidence. If a dui case even gets to trial the jury always enjoys watching the guy stumble doing the field soberity test.

I don't think they run all the time, only when the emergency lights are on.

ETA: I think the school busses are all equiped with cameras too. Eliminates discipline issues. When Mama complains about little Johnny getting kicked off the bus ("My baby didn't do nuffin") all the have to do is roll the tape and it's "game over".

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Grants? No, the cops can buy them, not the taxpayers.

Four Million Dollars! In just one year, four point two million dollars.

The cops will have fewer gold-plated flag poles, more car cameras and . . . more cowbell.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No, that's 100% incorrect. Let me ask you something, have your ever done something completely correct. So well in fact, that your were proud of yourself for doing so? How would you feel, if you believed that someone is always checking up on you?
    Hell, how many of you have wives or girlfriend? I KNOW, it "grinds my gears," when she asks me top turn off the stove, I do it, and then seconds later, she goes over to check. Am I along in that?
    Further, if the bolded part is indicative of what most people think, why not have cameras posted on every public light pole in the nation. Obviously, these cameras will be kept from the insides of your respective homes. I mean, what's the harm? Anything done in public, is well public, and if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about, right?
    My point, and I think cameras are a good thing, is that just because an officer doesn't want a camera, it doesn't mean he's doing the job wrong. I can see how to a guy who has always served the badge honorably, would be offended at the suggestion that he be required to prove that he's a good officer.

The reason people think that is because cops use the same line. If you have nothing hide....

I also am not interested in hearing whining about workplace accountability. I am on video every hour I am at work, my phone, email, and internet access is monitored. My cell phone statement receives scrutiny. My employee ID is used to monitor when I arrive at work, when I leave, and how long I was at lunch. If we think you are up to no good, we launch a keystroke monitor. Welcome to the real world.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The reason people think that is because cops use the same line. If you have nothing hide....

I also am not interested in hearing whining about workplace accountability. I am on video every hour I am at work, my phone, email, and internet access is monitored. My cell phone statement receives scrutiny. My employee ID is used to monitor when I arrive at work, when I leave, and how long I was at lunch. If we think you are up to no good, we launch a keystroke monitor. Welcome to the real world.
    Care.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

So let's make it a mandate! :rockwoot:

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    We are forbidden to buy them ourselves by Dept general orders. But I plan on buying one of those tiny digital camera that clip onto your uniform for $150. Color video and digital audio.

$55 - $65 - mine's en route. God KNOWS the state won't buy ours - 617 or not. Plus, 617 applies to custodial interrogations in a place of detention. This will help with on-scene informal interviews.

I'm not a bit afraid to use it - should help to keep me on my toes and on my very best behavior.......could it be used for INGO posts??????

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC003MUVI-Micro-DV-Camcorder/dp/B0029631VI]Amazon.com: Veho VCC003MUVI Micro DV Camcorder: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Veho MUVI Micro-DV Digital Camcorder - eBay (item 170592682344 end time Feb-18-11 04:40:58 PST)

Walmart.com: Veho VCC003MUVI Black Micro DV Camcorder: Camcorders

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Quite a few people here think these should be mandatory for officers. Maybe it would be a good INGO project for them to go down to their local PD and offer to write a grant proposal on their behalf. :yesway:

My point went right over your head. Instead of grant money cross crossing this country like a spider web, why doesn't each entity buy their own ****? You do realize that for every tax dollar collected for grants, not a full dollar goes back out, right? Receiving a grant will make these cameras cheaper in the sense that 300+ million others are helping to pay for them. But wait, your helping to pay for theirs as well. I swear these grant programs are the biggest money pulfering bureaucracies known to man.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My point went right over your head. Instead of grant money cross crossing this country like a spider web, why doesn't each entity buy their own ****? You do realize that for every tax dollar collected for grants, not a full dollar goes back out, right? Receiving a grant will make these cameras cheaper in the sense that 300+ million others are helping to pay for them. But wait, your helping to pay for theirs as well. I swear these grant programs are the biggest money pulfering bureaucracies known to man.

Are you a politician? Trying to nail down what it is you're actually talking about is like nailing jello to a tree. Are you arguing about cameras in police cars or the validity of grant programs? The grant money has already been "stolen" from the citizens, so at least put it to use in the communities. Between this thread and the one a month ago about cameras on cops I figured that people were really adamant about getting something done. Use the money that's already out there in the form of grants and get them. Get these INGO folks who feel so strongly about it to go help write the grant proposals. Now, if you want to argue about the validity of grant programs, start a new thread. Changing topics as it suits you is hard to follow.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, I would like for all squad cars to have dash cams. No, I don't want to pay for NYC's dash cams. Not wanting to use intergovernmental welfare to buy dash cams is a side issue, although still relevant as the issue has been brought up of how they are going to be paid for. Is it possible not to use big government?

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Dash Cams? I think everyone should have a camera where they work too. That way we can all be called to question on monday morning. Or maybe we can all have cameras in our homes too so the government and everyone else can make sure we're all doing what we should do according to "them". What ever happened to trusting what the officer said he did? We've got them at our department, we're only thirty five men and it's a logistical nightmare keeping them running right and downloading all the video that is recorded. Not to mention the money needed for repairs and upgrades. How much more are we going to video? BH

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We've got them at our department, we're only thirty five men and it's a logistical nightmare keeping them running right and downloading all the video that is recorded. Not to mention the money needed for repairs and upgrades. How much more are we going to video? BH

Since the officer's word is gold, I guess we can eliminate the courts, prosecutors, etc. Just pick up the perp and haul him straight to jail. You said he did it so there's no need for a trial. And since the courts are so expensive and a logistical nightmare, we definitely don't need them.

These cameras are an evidence tool just like a fingerprint dusting kit, dna swab, etc. The only difference is that it can be used against an officer as well.

The fact that we as citizens are innocent until proven guilty and the officer's word isn't infallible is what separates us from dictatorships. The courts already give way more credence to an officer's word than the defendant. What's wrong with a tool that will prove if the officer's word is good or not? How much money could the city of Indianapolis and Marion County save if there was dash cam footage of Officer Moore's killer? Instead, we don't have concrete evidence because dash cams are too expensive.

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Hey Hornadylnl,

Do you have a camera on you where work? I believe the fact that cameras are everywhere on all of us lends more towards Nazi style dictatorship than not having them. I've been in law enofrcement since 1981. We didn't have cameras back then and did just fine. We, the LEO's, were honest with integrity, something that seems to be lacking in most people these days. I don't know what world your living in but the courts down here let more go than they ever convict. For example, we have one of the highest amounts of drunk driving arrests in all of Indiana but the lowest conviction rate. Most are deferred or plead down to reckless driving by way of the good old boys. Sound to me like your one of them. BH

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    no human wants to be watched or feel under a microscope 24-7. i actually think too much observation and micro managing in any job will make you perform worse than you normally would, and its not fun either. i really dont want all cops to have cameras, and i dont think they need it. maybe if they screw up or get disciplined due to a FACTUAL complaint (not just hearsay) then ok put a camera on them for a reasonable time for example.

so now can we get rid of these stupid cameras that watch me pick my nose on the street?

Top Bottom