• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There are some cameras covering certain areas where I work and I have nonproblem with it. The difference here is that you are an arm of the state and I am not. When I am dealing with you on official business, you aren't officer Snuffy, you are THE government.

Wouldn't slam dunk video evidence of Officer moore's shooter be a good thing? How do we know his killer isn't still out there?

As far as a factual complaint of LE abuse, with no physical evidence, how do I prove it? Hell, half the time even with video evidence, nothing is done to the officer. Is the Seattle linebacker wanna be still working the beat?

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I understand your point about Officer Moore but I've seen that "slam dunk" video evidence supressed or thrown out because it was too prejudicial. I get nothing extra for making arrests or writing tickets and I sure don't get my jollies by messing with John Q. Public. I'm no saint but I do take my job very seriously. I just don't like having cameras shoved up my butt everywhere I go. One city in my county has in car video and audio that can be activated by their admin at anytime without the officer even knowing it. How would you like your boss listening in to everything you say without your knowledge? That's what concerns me as to where we're heading with all this...BH

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    It also sound like youve had some kind of problem with a police officer before. If that's the case, I'm sorry, but we're not wht the liberal media and TV shows portray us to be. I'm more of a supporter and believer in our Constitutional Rights than you think. BH

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I understand your point about Officer Moore but I've seen that "slam dunk" video evidence supressed or thrown out because it was too prejudicial. I get nothing extra for making arrests or writing tickets and I sure don't get my jollies by messing with John Q. Public. I'm no saint but I do take my job very seriously. I just don't like having cameras shoved up my butt everywhere I go. One city in my county has in car video and audio that can be activated by their admin at anytime without the officer even knowing it. How would you like your boss listening in to everything you say without your knowledge? That's what concerns me as to where we're heading with all this...BH

I wouldnt like it at all, and I would attempt to disable it to be honest with you. but then someone would accuse you of tampering. im just trying to look at it from your standpoint.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I don't think anyone is lobbying for in-car police cameras to be able to be accessed from remote locations at any given moment...But if you are a public servant, it seems foolish to not want an in-dash camera in your car if things go awry.

If you pull someone over and they resist arrest, but end up calling foul on you, BAM! Here is some video evidence that proves otherwise...If you are a JBT(Man, I really hate that term), well, I can understand why you'd really hate to have a camera in your car for obvious reasons.

Once again, I'm talking about "free"(department issued) cameras...Not ones that you have to pay for out of your pocket...I'd never expect an officer to have to be looked down upon for not wanting to drop several thousand dollars on a camera they may never need.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We are forbidden to buy them ourselves by Dept general orders. But I plan on buying one of those tiny digital camera that clip onto your uniform for $150. Color video and digital audio.
    Are these Weather Resistant?!
    I am looking at some systems to place on my ACH... :D
    Tell that to half of the Camden, NY police department. :(
    Camden, NJ...
    And there is a LOT more to the story...
    There's a big difference between a ~$500 back up gun or ~$800 rifle and a $3000 video system. I'm sure you are more than willing to shell out your hard-earned money for all the things that you need/want that your department won't buy for you.
    LOL...
    Soldier buy there own Gear most of the time...
    Mechanics buy there own Tools...
    Executives buy there own Suits...
    So you are butt hurt you need to buy some gear...

Everybody has to buy equipment that is not provided fro by the place that employs them. Life sucks as an adult... :(
    Nope those pay for these
    picture.php

And look closely at the top of the window
    picture.php

Boy I bet you sure could have bought a LOT of the Gear that Frank is needing for the cost of one of these... :dunno:
    so now can we get rid of these stupid cameras that watch me pick my nose on the street?
    But those Cameras are to keep you safe... :D

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    LOL...
    Soldier buy there own Gear most of the time...
    Mechanics buy there own Tools...
    Executives buy there own Suits...
    So you are butt hurt you need to buy some gear...

Everybody has to buy equipment that is not provided fro by the place that employs them. Life sucks as an adult... :(

If you would like to come over sometime and look at all the receipts I have for equipment I have purchased each year you are more than welcome. You took my post out of context and call me butthurt, but you want me to act like an adult. :rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It also sound like youve had some kind of problem with a police officer before. If that's the case, I'm sorry, but we're not wht the liberal media and TV shows portray us to be. I'm more of a supporter and believer in our Constitutional Rights than you think. BH

Nope, never had a run in with a cop at all. I've had exactly 1 traffic ticket and a couple warnings. Never been arrested, never been inside of a jail other than a field trip as a kid in school. I just happen to be an ardent supporter of liberty.

I wouldn't be in support of being able to remotely turn on cameras for any reason but it would be nice to be able to do so if the officer sends a distress call over his radio. You'd hope that the camera was already rolling though.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Keeping it dry...
    Not even going to attempt that...

If you would like to come over sometime and look at all the receipts I have for equipment I have purchased each year you are more than welcome. You took my post out of context and call me butthurt, but you want me to act like an adult. :rolleyes:

Frank,
    Sorry for bashing on you like that. You have known me long enough to know that is not really my style I think.

Would you like to see my receipts for the Gear I buy every year to play freaking Soldier...
    A set of GayCU's (just Pants and Top) is a $100+. Usually 3-4 Pair a year. Just not as Durable as the Ol' BDU's were.
    Boots, quality Footwear is expensive... At least 2 Pair a year...
    Not to mention MOLLE garbage. You have the Woodland set for the BDUs, You have the Coyote set for the DCUs, You have the ACU set, the Multicam Set...

I truly empathize with your issue, however I do not sympathize with you over it. Welcome to the one of the negatives of being an Adult in your chosen career field. You have to buy the gear you need... ;)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Frank,
    Sorry for bashing on you like that. You have known me long enough to know that is not really my style I think.

Would you like to see my receipts for the Gear I buy every year to play freaking Soldier...
    A set of GayCU's (just Pants and Top) is a $100+. Usually 3-4 Pair a year. Just not as Durable as the Ol' BDU's were.
    Boots, quality Footwear is expensive... At least 2 Pair a year...
    Not to mention MOLLE garbage. You have the Woodland set for the BDUs, You have the Coyote set for the DCUs, You have the ACU set, the Multicam Set...

I truly empathize with your issue, however I do not sympathize with you over it. Welcome to the one of the negatives of being an Adult in your chosen career field. You have to buy the gear you need... ;)

I don't expect or want your "sympathy." I'm a big boy (notice how I didn't say adult) and I can handle it. I buy the same things you do, but I doubt you shell out $3000 for something that should be issued by Uncle Sam.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't expect or want your "sympathy." I'm a big boy (notice how I didn't say adult) and I can handle it. I buy the same things you do, but I doubt you shell out $3000 for something that should be issued by Uncle Sam.

You would be surprised...

Just because Uncle Sugar may have it in his Inventory does not mean that me as the lowly Soldier gets to use it...

Hence the Reason I have my own ACOG...
    My own Aimpoint & Magnifier...
    My own Holsters...
    My own Slings...
    My own Armor...
    My own headsets...
    My own Bino...
    My own GPS...
    My own Compass...
    My own Knives...
    I have bought my own Radios before...
    I have even bought my own SAT phone before...

Matter of fact, I have at least 2 complete sets of Gear. The Lowest bidder rucks and gear from the Government, and the stuff I have bought because MY life truly depends on how well my gear performs...

Only the "Special" boys get anything they want from Uncle Sugar... :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What's great is being an infantryman (read destroying bdu's) with a take home pay of about $12k a year and getting a $100 for a years clothing allowance. The allowance was the same for an admin junkie as well.

Jeremy, from what I've seen, today's issued stuff is worlds better than what we got in the 90's.

I wouldn't shell out $3k out of pocket either. But the truth is that if these cameras were purchased on the free market and not via government, they'd be WAY cheaper.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What's great is being an infantryman (read destroying bdu's) with a take home pay of about $12k a year and getting a $100 for a years clothing allowance. The allowance was the same for an admin junkie as well.

Jeremy, from what I've seen, today's issued stuff is worlds better than what we got in the 90's.
    LOL...
    Yes and no...
    It is only more user friendly than ALICE Gear. Usually it runs into the area of it does not work real well...

Typically if you can get 3 months out of a Set of the ACUs caught yourself in the fortunate group. Most of the time s crucial stitch blows out completely...
    I wouldn't shell out $3k out of pocket either. But the truth is that if these cameras were purchased on the free market and not via government, they'd be WAY cheaper.
    No doubt.
    This could be said for a LOT of stuff the Government is purchasing though... ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have no problem spending my own money on gear or equipment that I need or will allow me to perform my job better or more efficiently. I have and use a rifle that cost me between $6000 - $7000 because it allows me to perform my job better and for longer periods of time. I am contemplating spending another $2000 - $3000 for another (type) rifle for the same reasons. I am also considering another $2000 - $3000 for night vision. All of these are being or will be used to improve my ability to serve and reduce costs to the department.

What I will not do is purchase equipment with my money because someone else wants me to have/use it. There is a big difference there. I'm not against cameras in the cars, I see them as an advantage to both LE and the public. I have worked for over 12 years now without one so I don't see it as being critical and I won't be spending my money on one.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I I have and use a rifle that cost me between $6000 - $7000 because it allows me to perform my job better and for longer periods of time. I am contemplating spending another $2000 - $3000 for another (type) rifle for the same reasons. I am also considering another $2000 - $3000 for night vision.

Geez moneybags! You sure you weren't skimming a little product every time you booked evidence into the property room and selling it to support your gun habit???? :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I worked a part time job for a year and a half and sold a half dozen guns to put that rifle together. I saved up and bought a receiver then saved and bought a barrel, then a stock, bottom metal, scope base, rings, suppressor and finally the scope. Also had to pay the gunsmith to put it all together.

A lot of money and a lot of time spent earning it but well worth it and I have no regrets. I can lay behind that rifle for hours on end without suffering from fatigue in my eyes or in my neck.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have no problem spending my own money on gear or equipment that I need or will allow me to perform my job better or more efficiently. I have and use a rifle that cost me between $6000 - $7000 because it allows me to perform my job better and for longer periods of time. I am contemplating spending another $2000 - $3000 for another (type) rifle for the same reasons. I am also considering another $2000 - $3000 for night vision. All of these are being or will be used to improve my ability to serve and reduce costs to the department.

What I will not do is purchase equipment with my money because someone else wants me to have/use it. There is a big difference there. I'm not against cameras in the cars, I see them as an advantage to both LE and the public. I have worked for over 12 years now without one so I don't see it as being critical and I won't be spending my money on one.

I fully Understand were you are coming from.

If Uncle Sugar would let me do really think a Beretta M9 would be my choice sidearm?! Plus I can think of a couple of MODS to my M4 I would like to do... Like a folding front sight, a BAD Lever, Auto instead of Burst, ambi mag release...

My problem is with some of the Items Departments spend some of there funds on then cry there is no money at all for other things. Really?! How about the armored HMMWV I have seen rolling around the State. WTF do you need with an armored Vehicle?! Could buy quite a bit of necessary equipment for the cost of those...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I fully Understand were you are coming from.

If Uncle Sugar would let me do really think a Beretta M9 would be my choice sidearm?! Plus I can think of a couple of MODS to my M4 I would like to do... Like a folding front sight, a BAD Lever, Auto instead of Burst, ambi mag release...

My problem is with some of the Items Departments spend some of there funds on then cry there is no money at all for other things. Really?! How about the armored HMMWV I have seen rolling around the State. WTF do you need with an armored Vehicle?! Could buy quite a bit of necessary equipment for the cost of those...

Are you talking about the black one ISP has? My understanding is that they received it through DRMO so it likely only cost them a bit of money for whatever repairs it needed and a coat of paint.

I know you understand where I'm coming from. There is a lot of gear that would be very beneficial to us but the admin has an entirely different set of priorities.

Top Bottom