• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    For the record your on my ignore list because of your constant insults directed towards me alone in a thread a while ago. Rather than be myself and tell you what I realy think of you and get banned I just put you on ignore. There cats out of the bag.

i do agree with your last post about RIA 1911's and the workhorse combat 1911's of days past. If a gun works I will have no problem owning it no matter what name is on it. I'm not a brand whore. I own what works as has been proven by me. To buy it in the first place yes it has to have had decent reviews by regular guys. Then I make my purchase and if I like it I keep it.
    i sold a rock island 1911 afew years ago that I still miss. I was stupid for selling it.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Id like to think any man worth his salt would tell me what they think of me, not put me on an "ignore list" because I said something they don't agree with.

I guess I see your point, as far as different companies coming out with souped up models of the 1911. I guess my problem is, when someone dogs on a lesser name, like RIA, for instance. My buddy has one, hes had for years with NO issues, but yet some Kimber commando will talk about how its not a "real 1911" and so on.

My point is, the 1911's that got my great grandfather through WW1, my grandfather through WW2, and My uncle through Vietnam was not a Kimber, it was not a Dan Wesson. It was barebones, simple as dirt. Just like so many pistols the aristocratic 1911 crowd demonize...

If he got by with just one he was darned lucky. I was a radio operator in Nam, I carried two .45's. They were made out of 12 different .45 ACP Colts. My Ed brown's are more bare bones than the Colts, just fitted much better. As you get older you will stop wasting your money on the "popular with the mall ninja crowd" models. :laugh:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes anyway, If my two choices were between the Sig 1911 and the Ruger 1911, I'd go with the Ruger everytime. I see more threads about sig 1911's having FTE, FTF, failure to go back into battery than any other manufacture 1911. I haven't come across a negative thread yet about a Ruger. Plus I'm not a fan of 1911's with external extractors

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I might have knocked on RIA's but I have seen so many fail. It just puts me in mind of a Pinto. It may run and run and run but long before it should not die, it does. Best analogy I can come up with. If we look deep enough into any mid-range offering there will something that is not up to our standards. Not a huge fan of the MIM parts in my springers but none have failed me as yet.

Again, buy what "You" like and enjoy what you buy. To ask this question on an open forum, well, this is the response. We all have experiences different from others. I have reached a point that i really enjoy a nice tight 1911. Every one I own is in some stage of up-grade either in the frame/slide fit to the operating mechanism. It is akin to owning a Harley.....gotta make it better, just gotta.......:)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    For the record your on my ignore list because of your constant insults directed towards me alone in a thread a while ago. Rather than be myself and tell you what I realy think of you and get banned I just put you on ignore. There cats out of the bag.

i do agree with your last post about RIA 1911's and the workhorse combat 1911's of days past. If a gun works I will have no problem owning it no matter what name is on it. I'm not a brand whore. I own what works as has been proven by me. To buy it in the first place yes it has to have had decent reviews by regular guys. Then I make my purchase and if I like it I keep it.
    i sold a rock island 1911 afew years ago that I still miss. I was stupid for selling it.

BAHAHAHAHAHA DUDE, I asked you to stop posting under the influence, and then asked if you had stopped taking your medication... Its not like I said your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries...

Seriously man.. Dont take life so personal... I got nothing against you, dont even know you.

Hijack over..

StumpyPete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I own a c3, and both Rugers, full size and commander. They are all great shooters. For carry, the c3 is lighter and to me, a sharp looking gun.
    The Rugers are built like tanks.
    For all around shooting they all fit the bill and run anything I put in them. If I were only allowed to keep one, I'd have to keep my Ruger commander. There's my 2 cents.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I may have missed it, but I don't recall any 1911 snobbishness in this thread. It's just been a discussion of mid-range 1911s. One of the things that I love about 1911s over plastic guns is that they come in a thousand different flavors. If you want to have a discussion about a Glock, it's probably going to be about which connector is a minute amount better than the other aftermarket connectors. I like Glocks and often carry one, but it's not a gun that is easy to be passionate about. A 1911 though, is a gun that can really get under your skin. I don't know if it's the fact that it's been whittled out of a block of steel or the endless variations that can be had, yet still be considered a 1911. Maybe it's the ability of a 1911 to be an absolute joy to shoot but at the same time, have the ability to confound as well.

Take my RIA Compact for instance. This is a gun that has performed very well for me. After the first 50 rounds, it has only failed when I've fed it out of spec ammo or used it past the spring change interval. By all measures, I think it's great but because it's an RIA, I think I was expecting less from it. Now, there's the Colt Delta Elite. This is the most expensive 1911 I own and I'm disappointed with the machine work. The top of the slide has a lot of tool marks that have been hidden by a heavy sand blasting. The roll marks are uneven and cratered and give the gun a cheap look. The sear measured out of spec from the factory. But, it's performed very well and with some polish and new internals, cleaned up quite well. I expected more from a Colt though.

I've owned 1911s from Springfield, Kimber, Sig and Remington and all have been fun to shoot. This has been a great thread that's focused on mid-size, mid-level 1911s and has lit the fuse of another 1911 buy for me. The Sig Stainless Carry may find it's way into my safe sooner or later thanks in some way, to this thread.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've heard the Sig's are quite nice but have never shot one. I have the Kimber Pro TLE II and like it very much. It is my most often carried piece.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Has anyone had experience with the Remington r1's ? Hope that's the right model. I saw one at gander mountain in the case and it looked nice and not too pricey.

Enhanced threaded barrel. One of the best bargains out there are the Remington 1911's, speaking of the enhanced versions only as that is what I have. Very accurate 1911.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Beautiful too..
    Rem1911R1-001.jpg

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Has anyone had experience with the Remington r1's ? Hope that's the right model. I saw one at gander mountain in the case and it looked nice and not too pricey.

There are 68 informative user reviews of the 5 inch R1 models on the Bud's Gun Shop product pages.
    However there aren't any reviews of the 4.25" model. But there's a Guns & Ammo article on the short model which mirrors many of the reviews from Bud's except in much greater detail. After various amounts of test firing, the R1's are overwhelmingly very well liked.

Stainless: Remington 1911 R1 45ACP 5" Stainless SHIPS FREE

Blue:

1. Remington 1911 R1 45ACP 5" Walnut Grips by ERPC SHIPS FREE

2. Remington 1911 R1 Carry 45 5 7R/8R Black $1,045.00 SHIPS FREE

Guns & Ammo 4.25" Review: Remington R1 Carry Review - Guns & Ammo

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Enhanced threaded barrel. One of the best bargains out there are the Remington 1911's, speaking of the enhanced versions only as that is what I have. Very accurate 1911.
    Wow! I like that a lot!! Thanks for the info on the Remington guys. I might just have to buy one and try it out. I'd like my next 1911 to be an officers model or smaller. But I'd spring for that bad boy above!!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I have an R1S and am mostly happy with it. It's a great gun that shoots well but after 500 rounds or so, I'm starting to get a tendency to not chamber the last round in a magazine. This is happening with WC 47Ds, Remington mags, Colt mags and Sig mags. It happens about every third mag through it right now. I'm only shooting reloads, so I am going to take my COL down to 1.200 to see if that makes a difference. Other than that, it's been a good gun. I have not had any issues with it while running commercial ammo, just the reloads which is why I'm not pointing fingers at the gun too hard yet. I love that it has the feel of a USGI 1911 with the straight slide serrations. I just need to get it to the point where I can trust it completely. Here's a photo of mine:

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I like that Remi, 88. For carry reasons, I prefer a Commander or smaller. I haven't even considered a Remington.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks. I bought this as a 'beater' of 1911s. I wanted a full size gun in stainless that I could carry and not worry about scratching or anything. My normal carry 1911 is the Kimber Compact and that one has a heavy patina of carry. The mid size 1911s are the sweet spot for carry, but sometimes it's nice to carry the full size just for the sake of liking the full size too. I'm hoping the Remy will get that nice worn in look over the years.

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    My .02 fwiw is to shoot as many 1911's as possible. Shoot everything from a RIA to a Wilson, and everything in between. You will find that there are some differences that are easily recognized, and others that are not. There are a lot of nice 1911's in the $700-$1000 range. My choice would either be a Colt, S&W, or a Springer.

Top Bottom