• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd buy the Ruger 1911 commander if I were you for your budget. Then buy a good holster with remaining funds if you're going to carry it. Most gun guys I talk to will not ever purchase another Para, and I've had Kimber's in the past. They aren't worth the money that they ask for them. I've sold all mine cause most of them wouldn't run out of the box and with polishing and throating they did better but not good enough to trust my life to them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My :twocents: is buy a Colt! Anything else is just a counterfeit!

I know some will be offended but the last 2 Colts I owned were not up to par with any of my springers out of the box. The trigger parts were really poorly made and slide to frame was crap. They did not group all that well. The quality of the prancing horse has gone down hill. I worked them both with new bushings and all the love needed on trigger/hammer fit and the frames. They were really nice after all of that but the maching work on the sear and related parts was just sub-par in my humble opinion.

As to the Kimbers.....for the money go with the Sig. No knock on the Kimbers but they are not exceptional guns. They run OK but for the money in your price range....If you want an accurate 1911....consider a Springer RO. Not the prettiest of the bunch but out of the box just as or more accurate then the rest you mention......Especially a Colt.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I agree with nyle. Ive been looking for a 1911 for almost a year. Just recieved my LTCH saturday. I have made my mind up finally on the ruger cmd. Ive held the full size sr1911 and loved it! For under 700 the Ruger sr1911 cmd cannot be beat.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II and a Sig Scorpion full size and both are excellent pistols. My only real gripe with the Kimber is the frame finish is easily chipped but other than that, it's been perfect through over a thousand rounds. The Sig seems to be built with a bit more quality though with a ball bearing smooth slide. But, the Sig had an issue early on where it did not like to lock the slide back on the last round. Take a look at the 1911 Carry Stainless from Sig. It's a compact sized pistol with an 8 round capacity and a full size grip.

One other thing to consider with a Sig is that the slide profile is different and may require new holsters to it it well. Sig has a few 1911s with a classic slide profile but those just don't grab me for some reason.

Edit: Both of my Kimbers were fairly low end guns in their line with my Ultra costing $780 and the Compact around $850. Both have been very reliable and have been worth every penny of what I spent on them. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I think my Kimber Compact has been money well spent. My Sig cost more and has had more issues out of the box, but is still a great gun once broken in. It's only my Remington that seems to be giving issues now and then with failure to chamber on the last round about 20% of the time no matter what mags are used.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II and a Sig Scorpion full size and both are excellent pistols. My only real gripe with the Kimber is the frame finish is easily chipped but other than that, it's been perfect through over a thousand rounds. The Sig seems to be built with a bit more quality though with a ball bearing smooth slide. But, the Sig had an issue early on where it did not like to lock the slide back on the last round. Take a look at the 1911 Carry Stainless from Sig. It's a compact sized pistol with an 8 round capacity and a full size grip.

One other thing to consider with a Sig is that the slide profile is different and may require new holsters to it it well. Sig has a few 1911s with a classic slide profile but those just don't grab me for some reason.
    Very good point about the slide profile! OP: The sigs are squared off as opposed to rounded.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have the Sig C3, husband has the Kimber Ultra CDP II. We both love our guns. The one thing we have noticed with the Sig is that it is picky about some reloads. We have to keep a tighter tolerance than we do with the Kimber.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The Sig definitely has a tighter chamber requiring a shorter OAL on the reloads and a slightly tighter crimp. This is what Sig claims to be a match chamber in their 1911's :dunno:

I shoot 230gr LFP at 1.180 OAL where my Springfield Combat 1911 I have can shoot these at 1.200

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    OP, if your around Indy, I'll gladly meet you at beech grove firearms and let you shoot my sig 1911 to get a feel for it. I sold my kimber so maybe someone else has one you can try.
    the slide is like glass.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was in the same position as the OP a few months back except that I wanted a fullsize. I took advice from others and went with a Springfield Range Officer and boy oh boy am I happy. Right out of the box it was a dream to shoot and accurate as can be. I got mine for $699 brand new from ZX Guns.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I can highly recommend the Ruger 1911 commander. I purchased one a couple of months ago, have shot approx 200 rounds through without a hiccup. It is a good looking gun and appears to be very reliable.:twocents:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I too would recommend the Springfield RO, but because of the OP's budget I thought that by buying the Ruger commander would leave funds leftover for a holster. I have 3 springer's and all are rock solid

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I would go with the Sig 1911, no question. They are very well made, accurate, reliable and are a blast to shoot. You simply can't beat them for the money. You are paying for the name with some of the other brands with no increase in accuracy or reliability. My 2 cents!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Well OP, I hope we cleared that up for you :):

Really though, even though I like my Kimbers, I would be happy owning a Colt, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Sig, or STI any of them will make you a happy 1911 owner! Pick the manufacturer/model that has the features you are looking for and then enjoy!!

BUT don't forget to post some pics when you get one!!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I would like to try on of the New Smith & Wesson 1911's. The next time the rep does a shoot at Midwest Gun and Range I will try to be there.

I think the S&W 1911s are well made. I just bought a PC1911 from a friend. The one with the lightening cuts on the slide. He said he wanted to sell, then he didn't. I have it now. It shoots very nice. It has a Ti firing pin instead of the series 80 safety. I am not sure if other S&W 1911s have that. I will ring it out over the next 6 weeks in our PPC league. I normally shoot revolvers, but I like 1911s quite a bit too. This is my 7th.

Top Bottom