• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I too would recommend the Springfield RO, but because of the OP's budget I thought that by buying the Ruger commander would leave funds leftover for a holster. I have 3 springer's and all are rock solid

Were gun guys so we never figure in the extras for budget. We always find a way to get those :):

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    After reading all of this I think you guys cleared it up for me pretty well :facepalm:. Seriously though, it's between the Sig and the Ruger Commander. I know I didn't mention it originally but when Ruger came out with the full size I had to have it and never did buy it. I actually filled out a questionnaire from Ruger and mentioned them producing a compact 1911 so I almost feel compelled to get that one, especially too because I can buy one right now for less than $650 before transfer fees. It is for carry though, and that's why I am leaning toward the Sig because it's a smaller frame. I did notice that the slide was squared on the Sigs. It doesn't bother me too much, I kinda like the look of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading all of this I think you guys cleared it up for me pretty well :facepalm:. Seriously though, it's between the Sig and the Ruger Commander. I know I didn't mention it originally but when Ruger came out with the full size I had to have it and never did buy it. I actually filled out a questionnaire from Ruger and mentioned them producing a compact 1911 so I almost feel compelled to get that one, especially too because I can buy one right now for less than $650 before transfer fees. It is for carry though, and that's why I am leaning toward the Sig because it's a smaller frame. I did notice that the slide was squared on the Sigs. It doesn't bother me too much, I kinda like the look of it.

Tease...........:nono:

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    How's the finish on the Sigs? I've held the Ruger before and it wasn't flashy, just a good durable matte stainless (I believe that's what it is). I haven't gotten to first base with the Sigs so I'm not familiar.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Looking at this thread, If I was on the fence about getting a 1911, I would probably decide not to get one at all, just so I could stay out of the mess of all the hype of this brand, and that brand, and, yours isnt as good as mine because it doesnt have this name... Like a bunch of High School kids going on about what shoes they wear. Jesus.. Does it shoot? is it a .45? OKAY its a 1911, and all is well... It got our guys through 4 wars as THE US pistol, being basic as a pile of dirt, didnt it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looking at this thread, If I was on the fence about getting a 1911, I would probably decide not to get one at all, just so I could stay out of the mess of all the hype of this brand, and that brand, and, yours isnt as good as mine because it doesnt have this name... Like a bunch of High School kids going on about what shoes they wear. Jesus.. Does it shoot? is it a .45? OKAY its a 1911, and all is well... It got our guys through 4 wars as THE US pistol, being basic as a pile of dirt, didnt it?

HHHmmmmmmmmm.......:scratch:

Some are decidedly better than others on so many levels. It is why we discuss this. Part of the passion that is 1911.
    If you do not buy one.....cool. If you do, enjoy it. If you don't someone will want it.

Yup, it got us through those wars. Yes, I do own one of those guns. Is it basic.....yes. It rattles and clanks but it does shoot.

Just like model "A" and 32 Ford 3 window coupes some like them as built, many many more like to modify them. A highly tuned 1911 is so nice to shoot.

Last edited:

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    HHHmmmmmmmmm.......:scratch:

Some arw decidedly better than others on so many levels. It is why we discuss this. Part of the passion that is 1911.
    If you do not buy one.....cool. If you do, enjoy it. If you don't someone will want it.

Yup, it got us through those wars. Yes, I do own one of those guns. Is it basic.....yes. It rattles and clanks but it does shoot.

Just like model "A" and 32 Ford 3 window coupes some like them as built, many many more like to modify them. A highly tuned 1911 is so nice to shoot.

couldn't agree more.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I've been very interested in the Ruger SR1911. I may fondle a few at this next gunshow, if i can find any.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Id like to think any man worth his salt would tell me what they think of me, not put me on an "ignore list" because I said something they don't agree with.

I guess I see your point, as far as different companies coming out with souped up models of the 1911. I guess my problem is, when someone dogs on a lesser name, like RIA, for instance. My buddy has one, hes had for years with NO issues, but yet some Kimber commando will talk about how its not a "real 1911" and so on.

My point is, the 1911's that got my great grandfather through WW1, my grandfather through WW2, and My uncle through Vietnam was not a Kimber, it was not a Dan Wesson. It was barebones, simple as dirt. Just like so many pistols the aristocratic 1911 crowd demonize...

Theres a place for everything, and just because you want something better, doesn't mean the things beneath you are bad.

If that bothers you, good, put me on your ignore list. Im doing what people should do on a forum, speaking my mind. If you cant handle that, maybe you shouldn't be here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Id like to think any man worth his salt would tell me what they think of me, not put me on an "ignore list" because I said something they don't agree with.

I guess I see your point, as far as different companies coming out with souped up models of the 1911. I guess my problem is, when someone dogs on a lesser name, like RIA, for instance. My buddy has one, hes had for years with NO issues, but yet some Kimber commando will talk about how its not a "real 1911" and so on.

My point is, the 1911's that got my great grandfather through WW1, my grandfather through WW2, and My uncle through Vietnam was not a Kimber, it was not a Dan Wesson. It was barebones, simple as dirt, just like so many pistols the aristocratic 1911 crowd demonize...

Theres a place for everything, and just because you want something better, doesn't mean the things beneath you are bad.

Agree.

The only reason I may dog on an RIA is I have had a few apart.
    Buy what you can afford and enjoy what you buy.
    But in the end, you want a better one.
    I always wanted something faster.....:)

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I agree with that, and I did look at the Rock Islands, but I've already got one and I wanted to see what the higher end models could offer. The fit and finish is a little better on the more expensive models and they offer a few more bells and whistles, which is why I search in vain.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Agree.

The only reason I may dog on an RIA is I have had a few apart.
    Buy what you can afford and enjoy what you buy.
    But in the end, you want a better one.
    I always wanted something faster.....:)

So have I, But I will always have respect for my daily driver.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

My point is, the 1911's that got my great grandfather through WW1, my grandfather through WW2, and My uncle through Vietnam was not a Kimber, it was not a Dan Wesson. It was barebones, simple as dirt. Just like so many pistols the aristocratic 1911 crowd demonize...

If that bothers you, good, put me on your ignore list. Im doing what people should do on a forum, speaking my mind. If you cant handle that, maybe you shouldn't be here.

AMEN!!!!! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom