• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I only care about a brand if they give me reasons to care. If quality and functionality, service and prices are the best then they get the business.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I buy a whole cow from a local farmer yearly. When I run out of the steak cuts my local Meijer has phenomenal cuts of meat. I would put their ribeye and filet (most common steak cuts we eat) on par with most any restaurants cuts of meat. Also have a local bison farm I'll get steak cuts from.

Half these restaurants want to add some bs glazing, or cooked in this or that. Screw that. A good steak needs nothing more than a little Himalayan salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and even that's not neccessary
    Its generally a hard thing to get higher end restaurant quality beef outside of buying a half/whole from the correct people. High end beef goes directly to the restaurants or their supply houses. Many high end steak houses will have 500 to 2 mil in beef in the lockers ageing.
    What is the cost for a great steak in a restaurant to you?
    What would you spend on a 3lb Porterhouses in one of say, Ramseys restaurants?

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Its generally a hard thing to get higher end restaurant quality beef outside of buying a half/whole from the correct people.
    I split a half with a buddy from a local farmer who raises good beef. (Not exactly sure the breed right now.) I am not a decent cook by any means. I just can't quite figure out the steaks. My wife is great with cooking but the grill is not her favorite device. Maybe longer aging?? I have heard room temp before the grill?? I like my steaks on the rare side.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its generally a hard thing to get higher end restaurant quality beef outside of buying a half/whole from the correct people. High end beef goes directly to the restaurants or their supply houses. Many high end steak houses will have 500 to 2 mil in beef in the lockers ageing.
    What is the cost for a great steak in a restaurant to you?
    What would you spend on a 3lb Porterhouses in one of say, Ramseys restaurants?
    1st off I dont think I've ever been to a restaurant that offers a 3# porterhouse without it being a challenge of some sorts. I wouldn't spend $30-40 per pound (restaurant pricing) on something i can get for $15 per pound. 2nd, I'm not a fan of porterhouse or t-bones as you're getting a miniscule filet with NY strip steak which I personally, don't think are worth a damn.

Ramsey is nothing more than a name like Nike, and I sure as hell ain't paying Nike prices

If you'd like to buy me a Ramsey steak at 1 of his restaurants I'd be happy to reform my opinion, if it's better than what I cook on my weber kettle (We prefer ribeye or filet)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    1st off I dont think I've ever been to a restaurant that offers a 3# porterhouse without it being a challenge of some sorts. I wouldn't spend $30-40 per pound (restaurant pricing) on something i can get for $15 per pound. 2nd, I'm not a fan of porterhouse or t-bones as you're getting a miniscule filet with NY strip steak which I personally, don't think are worth a damn.

Ramsey is nothing more than a name like Nike, and I sure as hell ain't paying Nike prices

If you'd like to buy me a Ramsey steak at 1 of his restaurants I'd be happy to reform my opinion, if it's better than what I cook on my weber kettle (We prefer ribeye or filet)
    If your ever in Vegas when we are, I would buy you a unbelievable 2" Porterhouse dinner. Sorry it's a 32 Oz Porter or a 36 Oz Tomahawk.
    My brother raises pretty good black Angus beef, but it's nothing like a great aged steak you can get at a great steakhouse.
    After eating an aged 150 to 250 dollar steak, you would never do the Meijer steak again. It just doesn't compare.

I do get it, it's a lot of money for a meal.
    At times you go, dam that's a lot of money.
    Then I get reminded that all but 60 bucks of our dinner for four is comped with her being a good gambler.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    https://www.allamericanclothing.com/ All my clothes.
    Double HH boots.
    Chev. Trucks and wife’s car. (Old Ford in the small barn).
    Beef, from the pasture.
    Veggies, from the garden
    Groceries, what the wife buys from Kroger.
    House, built by Union Craftsman.
    Tractors, well red n one green.
    Land, god (and the farmers bank), but no more it’s mine.
    Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Remington, Mossberg, ?,?,
    Brand Loyalty, yep. I got it.
    Last but definitely not least, The good old American Flag in the front yard, made in the state of Georgia.

Why? Because I can.
    Why not? Don’t understand any other way.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I stopped reading right there. T-bones and porterhouses are the only cuts that qualify as steaks. Tomahawks get half credit, they at least look cool and still have a bone. Everything else is pretend steak.

Reactions: KLB

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I stopped reading right there. T-bones and porterhouses are the only cuts that qualify as steaks. Tomahawks get half credit, they at least look cool and still have a bone. Everything else is pretend steak.
    T bones and Porterhouse are New York strips and Tenderloins (filets). Porterhouse has a larger Tenderloin cut.

I get neutered T bones, because we also order the filet. (Wife requests them)

When you get a beef you get to pick which cuts you want. An either or.

Tomahawks are the ribeyes with the bone.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    T bones and Porterhouse are New York strips and Tenderloins (filets). Porterhouse has a larger Tenderloin cut.

I get neutered T bones, because we also order the filet. (Wife requests them)

When you get a beef you get to pick which cuts you want. An either or.

Tomahawks are the ribeyes with the bone.
    I disagree, t-bones and porterhouses are enhanced strips plus enhanced fillets and are much better than the sum of the parts. The bone gives both the fillet and the strip much richer flavor than either have separately. The fillet also benefits from the little bit of fat on the strip. The bone also adds some flavor to the ribeye in a tomahawk but it still suffers from the major problem with ribeyes.

Speaking of neutered t-bones, it is hard to find anything else of late. It is hard to find even a porterhouse that has more fillet than a typical t-bone used to have and t-bones typically have barely existent fillets now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I buy a whole cow from a local farmer yearly. When I run out of the steak cuts my local Meijer has phenomenal cuts of meat. I would put their ribeye and filet (most common steak cuts we eat) on par with most any restaurants cuts of meat. Also have a local bison farm I'll get steak cuts from.

Half these restaurants want to add some bs glazing, or cooked in this or that. Screw that. A good steak needs nothing more than a little Himalayan salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and even that's not neccessary
    Many restaurants ruin good meat, but as Emeril said “I don't know where you get your meat but where I get mine it doesn't come seasoned” does apply. Seasoning on a steak makes it great. That glazing is likely a tenderizer. I enjoy a great steak out, but only if it is prime. Very few places serve prime under $50.

The FDA totally changed meat grading, first in the late 80’s, adding the grade “select” and in the 90’s moving every grade up a step. Select became choice, which became prime. What is prime today is what I grew up with as choice.

High end restaurants get meat grown for the high end restaurants and that is why it costs so much. It is what prime used to be. Even cooking at home I try to get prime for ribeye or strips. Choice filet or tenderloin is just fine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sounds good, what kind of tricks?? I get good steak, but mine never comes out as good as a restaurant.
    Copy Ruth’s Chris for one. Get a plate that can withstand 500-550 in your oven, heat that plate. Fast cook your steak to rare on your grill, put a tablespoon or so of butter on the hot plate throw some fresh minced parsley in the butter and put the steak on top of the sizzling plate. Mmmmm

Reactions: KLB

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Duluth Trading Company. Pants, socks, underwear, shoes, hats, shirts. Good quality stuff, not cheap but outlasts other stuff I’ve bought.
    I only buy Duluth firehose pants. I have 9 currently in use ones and a couple backups. I will say the disapointment I felt when I tore a pair and they did not replace them was pretty bad.
    They used to replace them for any reason for life, now they offer a warranty on manufacturing defects like everyone else(probably do to some guy getting a new pair after lighting them on fire). I have been buying them since 2010 and wearing almost nothing but them since 2013.

Ridgid tools and more. I have most anything made by Ridgid that can take a battery,even the propane salamander. I was Dewalt until the early 2000s when Black and Decker purchased them and they went with plastic gears. Now I see Ridgid as far superior in every way and should have purchased them from the start,they last and if anything happens they will fix or replace them(sometimes for a nominal fee if you say drop one off a ladder and break the frame), but any tool failure is done at no charge(I have had zero of those claims).

Cars/trucks,well I am all over the place. Ford trucks,then Chevy, then a Land Rover,and now a Volvo S90 that I love(over 200k miles and nothing but regular oil changes, brake rotors and pads for the most part(easiest pads to change of any vehicle I ever owned,one bolt out another loose,then flip pull and place new pads,reverse...done. Nothing else required). I did do the alternator brushes and regulator,which did not even require removing the alternator to do(one electric connection 2 screws)! Did an alignment at 150k miles. Over all a very solid vehicle.). I have a Ford truck and couple Chevy full size blazers as well,one being an M1009 both diesel. Yep,no real die hard loyalty there.

Soap. Dial gold. I can not stand the smell of irish spring or ivory. Purex for laundry(Tide breaks me out).

Toms toothpaste.
    Real meat lol.
    NY Strip for steak.

Last edited:

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Ridgid tools and more. I have most anything made by Ridgid that can take a battery,even the propane salamander.
    Never had any Rigid tools. They just don't seem to be stocked much around here. I always heard they were good. Didn't their calendars get watered down??

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    breyden
    Top Bottom