• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I don't know anything about Mike Portnoy(I plan on doing research and listening to his work after this post), but Danny Carey can do what Neil Peart can with a third of the drum set...All that spinning around Neil does on his 360 degree drum set is quite impressive, but Danny is better.

BTW, I put Peart at #2.

I'm with Roadie here... when Mr. Carey has done it as well for as LONG as Neil Peart, then we can talk about Greatest of All Time... until then... we're talking about Greatest Right Now. And that's still open to debate.

Oddly enough , the Professor might argue that someone like Buddy Rich is deserving of consideration as well. No question though that all of the folks above are clearly in pretty good company at the top of the heap.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm with Roadie here... when Mr. Carey has done it as well for as LONG as Neil Peart, then we can talk about Greatest of All Time... until then... we're talking about Greatest Right Now. And that's still open to debate.

I'm not sure of how much you know of Danny Carey or if you know him at all, but he's been around long enough...The dude is 48 and has been a prof drummer since ~'81(before I was born)...It's not like a comparison of Lebron James and Michael Jordon.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think Carey is a better drummer.:twocents:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Kid rock, lynyrd skynyrd, and rev run (seen kid rock 3 times and he can truly do any kind of music and usually does at his shows. He owns the spotlight)

Followed by skynyrd, and marshall tucker band

Followed by tom petty.

Some other good ones include brooks & dunn, alan jackson, alabama, chicago, david allen coe, I could go on all day. But first 3 are the best I've seen...in that order.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been to way too many to pick only one as the best.

Metallica, great!
    Godsmack, seen them 4 times and always awesome! :rockwoot::rockwoot:
    Rob Zombie, seen 3 times always rocks
    Mudvayne
    Disturbed
    Static X
    Jackyl
    Nine Inch Nails
    Jane's Addiction
    Motley Crue
    Pantera

Those are a very very short list of what I have seen, but some of my favorites.

Cant wait for Mayhem Fest again this year!!!!!

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The best concert I've seen, hands down, was Garth Brooks. Think what you want of his music or influence, but the guy puts on a show. I saw him in Columbus, Ohio where he sold out a stadium for 7 days straight. 360 degrees of stage, and the only time I can remember feeling the heat of fire from pyrotechnics, then water from the rain system, then paint for "The Red Strokes".

Reba McEntire puts on a great theatrical performance as well. Every song has a different outfit, there are cars and stuff driving around on stage, props everywhere.. it's sweet..

Most fun, though, was probably Steve Miller and Hank JR. THAT was a party!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Keith Urban and Taylor Swift last year at the coliseum, they are both very energetic on stage and get involved with their fans. Next would be Rodney Atkins at the Elkhart County Fair, then, Brad Paisley also at the fair.

On a related note my gf got us tickets to see Carrie Underwood, Craig Morgan and Sons of Sylvia next Monday at the coliseum.:rockwoot:

...Carrie is so hot!:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I don't think I can pick the best concert. There have been many in a variety of genres. Let see... Fleetwood Mac in the 80's, the Greatful Dead w/ Jerry, Kiss (the 70's), I saw Louis Armstrong and Gene Krupa live in Chicago in the late 60's (I was a kid but I will NEVER forget that one :)), Van Halen, The Newport Jazz Festival, and Chicago.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You guys mentioning the drummers don't forget about Kenny Aronoff. He plays on a considerable amount of music that comes out today, and is reminiscent of the old school drummers.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    GREEN DAY

I've been a fan of theres since the beginning. I saw them in California before they hit it huge, and then i was at they're first concert in Indiana at the Pepsi Coluseum at the fair grounds. They are the most energetic and fan involved band ive ever seen. its truely a EXPERIENCE, not just a concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLvBO_2Gn0
    I saw Green Day at X-Fest 2000 and the drummer torched his drum set while Billie Joe played their 'ballady' song in front of the giant flames. Needless to say they definitely upstaged the headliner, STP, that night. Another great concert I've been to was Roger Waters at Deer Creek in September 2006. He played a nice mix of classics the first set and the second set he played Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety.

A couple of names mentioned here make me a bit jealous. I would love to see the Bloodhound Gang and I can only imagine the awesomeness of the Butthold Surfers in concert. I never got to see Primus, but I did see Les Claypool at the Vogue in early 2007 (I think) and that was a great show. That man brings a lot of energy and gets a lot of energy out of the crowd.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Definitely Lollapalooza '96, headlined by Rancid, the Ramones, Soundgarden, and Metallica. It was my first concert ever and the week of my 16th birthday.

Honorable mention goes to Pantera, American Head Charge, Jethro Tull, and Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Hard to pick just one
    A few from the days when bands toured to promote their album and you could get a ticket for under $10
    Rush Permanent Waves Tour 1980 with 38 Special
    Styx Cornerstone Tour 1979
    Kansas Monolith Tour 1979
    Ted Nugent in Detroit Seen Ted 5 other times but this one was the best

More recently
    Jethro Tull at Embassy Theater. Great show Guy Davis started it out then was joined by members of Jethro Tull including Ian Anderson. Anderson jamming blues on the flute was worth the price of admission.
    B.B. King Embassy Theater. Got to watch the legend.
    John Melencamp Allen co coliseum

Took my wife to see Celtic Women last thursday 4/1 at the Embassy Theater. Not usually my type of music,but my wife likes it. Turned out to be a very good concert. Good music, very beautiful women, had a good time.

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Favorite concerts

Tool- lateralus and 10,000 days tour Indy and ohio
    SubHumans with The World Inferno Friendship society Ohio
    Black Sabbath 1996 with original lineup at Deer Creek
    Melvins with Jello at the Patio
    GWAR at Vogue 2007

Ahhh these were great times!!!!:patriot:

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I saw these guys called "Mammoth" at some party in Pasedena in '73. Man, those guys rocked. I wonder what ever happened to them.

Seriously, though. Best single act I've seen was Meatloaf during his Everything Louder tour in 93, supporting Bat out of Hell II: Back into Hell. Best full show, Skynyrd with uncle Ted, Bad Company, 38 Special, and Pride and Glory (Zakk Wilde). It was the 1st year of the brickyard and was at the grandstands at the State Fair Grounds.

Buffett shows are always awesome, too.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Definitely Lollapalooza '96, headlined by Rancid, the Ramones, Soundgarden, and Metallica. It was my first concert ever and the week of my 16th birthday.
    That was my first concert as well. I have always been a huge Ramones fan and it was a pleasure I had the chance to see them before they retired. I would have loved to have seen the original lineup, but I was happy that I at least got to see them in some incarnation.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Phil Lesh and Friends - several times last year.

I break the mold though, I am the only "libertarian" I have ever met that didn't care for Rush. I tried though...so don't beat me up too much. Yes, I recognize the technical aspects of their performances. I appreciate that, I play as well.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Johnny Cash
    George Jones
    Hank Williams Jr. (over a dozen times)
    Waylon Jennings
    David Allan Coe
    Dallas Moore and the Snatch Wranglers