• ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Longest post ever.....

I like Most spent many a day and many more nights at concerts. Some of the very best show I do not really remember. Some I remember parts of.

Best Show man I remember was Lyle Lovett and his very large band, I saw at antone's in Austin home of the PBS show Austin City Limits. I saw that tour several times. If he is with the VERY LARGE BAND go and see it worth every penny. Second Place Gov't Mule. KISS back in the day was ground breaking in so many ways. Mathew Sweet a distant fourth

Best Local show was Frank Zappa at the Vogue night club in 1984. (faKe ID used for the first time in my life ) Second place the red hot chilli peppers at the patio before Mothers milk album was released. Honourable mention was parliment/funkadellic at the vogue.

Best all day venue was the first lalapalooza tour saw it in 4 cities. Second place Woodstock 1994. third the Big cypris show from Phish.

Best country bluegrass show was Earl sckrag's and family. (yes the guy who does the beverly hillbilly's theme) Toby Kieth a close second. Not a real country fan.

Best guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn at Clowes memorial hall. (Acoustically perfect concert venue) He gave a guitar lesson. Second Jerry garcia in 1986 at the us tennis center in Downtown indy. (sould be in the best loacl show category also before Jerry got real bad with his demons) and Eddie van halen in 1985 at MSA.

Best drummer, drummers. Alex Van Halen (better than most any drummer listen to Hot for teacher His brother gets all the Hype) , Drum space from any DEAD SHOW. ( one drummer good two drummers better). Keeping with that theme the Allman brothers Band.

Most Interesting Thing to happen during a concert. I was doing real well seducing two great looking ladies at Pickadillies (yes pick a disease) things were loking great for one of those nights of a lifetime to tell your male children about and the bouncer comes up to me and asks me if I was John Marriott. It seems David Allen Coe Kicked out the front teeth of my best friend with his cowboy boots. Man what I would have given to not have picked him up that night,

Longest Set Blues traveler over 2 hours 30 minutes without even a 30 second break. I think they said hello. They played two set afterwards one for 90 minutes and another for 60 minutes as an encore. Most bands can't do 90 minutes and a 15 minute encore.

Best mosh pit Panterra with special guest Nine inch nails at the aragon ballroom in chicago. They call it the aragon brawlroom for a reason.

Worst show ever David lee Roth Drunk off his *** and had a statue of a devel that Pee'd on the crowd during the encore. David Pee'd on the crowd all of his set. A close second was James Brown at the holidome in merriville IN. He would come out and grunt a few lines and then go back stage and snort a few lines and come back out and yell and grunt and stuff.

Bands I never want to see again, Guns and roses as long as Alex (A**h*le ) rose is with them. Great show once it gets started but never seen him come on stage within 2 hours of when he was to be onstage. Primus I love the show but after a while it is like a cat playing with a mouse. Get it over and Move on. Third Tom petty and Bob Dylan together in one show. The most nasal sounding signer every together is just to much once again a good show just to much nose.

Band I need to see still
    Death cab for cutie. Mofro. and Big and Rich,

I could go on and on but you guys are most likely tired of my favorites. go see a show. Remember My first concert was Marshal Tucker, Golden earring, and Truimph for $4.95 (A q-95 concert promotion) and my most expensive Eagles Hell freezes over 95 dollars a seat and they cancelled and made the show up over a year later. they had my money for a year and a half.

Lots of good local bands, support them.... Here come the mummies come to mind. If you have not seen them give them a try at the Vogue. I can afford to see show like I did on the past. I have kids now and don't live like I did. I was know to take a single light bulb from room to room with me for light and get my toilet paper at Mc donalds restrooms. Concerts should be under 30 dollars a seat and festive seating.

End of longest post ever.....I should rep the starter........

Last edited:

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    zoom.gif

Last edited:

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I've been to a few good Ozzfests, but the best one has been Judas Priest this past summer during their British Steel 30th anniversary tour.
    DSCN0214.jpg

We had pretty good seats.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Man, tough call. In no particular order:

The Ragin' Texans in Bloomington back in the late 80s. Damn parking garage nearly collapsed that night!

The Reverend Horton Heat at the Vogue in the mid-90s. That SOB threw down that night!

Peter Murphy at the Vogue in the mid-90s.

New Duncan Imperials at some now defunct bar in Broad Ripple in 1994. The most fun I've ever seen any band have during a show.

The Cave Lords in some guy's basement in Bloomington back in 1987. My ears are still ringing.

Arson Garden -- any location they ever played at...

Johnny Socko at the Patio. The lead singer wore a polar bear suit most of the show. Socko was like Arson Garden -- great show anywhere they played.

Siouxsie & the Banshees in Chicago in 1993.

Whatever jazz act was playing at the Jazz Kitchen when my wife first learned I was carrying (during the courtship phase...) and didn't question it. In fact, she started calling that pistol, "my little friend". And yes, she did mean the pistol! :D

Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Sibelius' Fifth Symphony at Hilbert in 2006 or 2007, if I recall.

Any time my oldest child plays the cello!

Laurie Anderson -- FRONT ROW in 1988!

Phillip Glass' "1000 Airplanes on the Roof" in 1988 or 1989...I met him before the show, that rocked!

Kodo, traditional Japanese drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHNVho1OhM

Last edited:

brown trix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Morgan County
    Hard to say which concert is the best for starters Led Zeppelin April 17,1977
    what can you say all time fave, Aerosmith on the 4th of July in Market Square
    War Zone (all the fireworks,burned Steven Tylers cornea if I remember)The
    Rolling Stones at the dome in 1989,Kansas and Eddie Money on Halloween in
    1980,Queen on August 17, 1980,Ted Nugent at a Christmas concert with
    Golden Earring,Supertramp June 3 1979 alot of Styx and Journey there too,
    The Allman Brothers in the early 80's,The Eagles on Hotel Cal tour, always liked Market Square and the last show at MSA ZZ Top and Skynyrd, Rush soon after 2112 came out, Mellecamp when Scarecow came out before he
    turned Maybe the Worst was U2 at the dome sound sucked and to full of
    themself kinda like todays so called stars Lady Ga Ga (Tickets at 177 dollars)
    Ha From a fitting song Dream On

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    snip.
    Best Local show was Frank Zappa at the Vogue night club in 1984. (faKe ID used for the first time in my life )

I am super jealous:yesway:

snip.
    Longest Set Blues traveler over 2 hours 30 minutes without even a 30 second break. I think they said hello. They played two set afterwards one for 90 minutes and another for 60 minutes as an encore. Most bands can't do 90 minutes and a 15 minute encore.

Sorry, but this may be one of the parts you forgot.;) Phish played a set at Big Cyprus (y2k) from midnight to sunrise.......that must replace Blues Traveller at over 6 hours.........I wonder if I saw you there:D

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A few others I forgot off of my first list.

The Ramones
    Black Sabbath
    Ozzy
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Kid Rock
    Slayer twice :rockwoot::rockwoot:
    Marilyn Manson
    Deftones
    Rancid
    Soundgarden
    Drowning Pool 3 times :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Still way too many to list just had to add those few.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think I'll be going to St. Louis to see Rush this summer, my wife is working out the logistics of it right now. Possibly Chicago, Columbus OH, and Tampa Fl, too. Looks like it's gonna be a good year. RUSH RULES!!:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Pink Floyd in Indy....a long long time ago.

Lucky SOB...If I could go back in time to see any band, it would be them...A close second would be The Doors.

I've been to a few good Ozzfests, but the best one has been Judas Priest this past summer during their British Steel 30th anniversary tour.

Pre or post Ozzy needing a teleprompter?:):

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think I'll be going to St. Louis to see Rush this summer, my wife is working out the logistics of it right now. Possibly Chicago, Columbus OH, and Tampa Fl, too. Looks like it's gonna be a good year. RUSH RULES!!:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

They are doing the Moving Pictures album in its entirety this tour! :rockwoot:

No Indy Dates set as of yet though :(

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am super jealous:yesway:

Sorry, but this may be one of the parts you forgot.;) Phish played a set at Big Cyprus (y2k) from midnight to sunrise.......that must replace Blues Traveller at over 6 hours.........I wonder if I saw you there:D

I did say many concerts I do not remember Big cyprus is one of them,

I have it one dat tape if you need a copy,,,,,along with about 50 dead shows.........

Top Bottom