• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Henry McKenna BIB just won a serious award at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

I haven't had it but, I'll keep an eye out for it.

https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink...300836125&mc_cid=20315d6ca0&mc_eid=e1d8a64080

I was able to score a bottle of this McKenna 10 YO bond. Have not tasted yet.

HMSB_BottleShot_2019.jpg

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/12/henry-mckenna-single-barrel-best-whiskey-controversy/

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There are plenty of bourbon websites for trading and buy/sell that are far far far cheaper. Not as cheap as MSRP, but not crazy stupid. If you want some Pappy 15 you can find it far more reasonably priced that $1200. In fact close to a thousand dollars cheaper.
    Close to 1000 cheaper than 1200 for 15yr old pappy secondary? Id have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Went shopping at Meijer's this morning. Their prices on bourbon are usually pretty good.

They are having a sale on Bourbon/liquor/wine. Got a bottle of 10YO Bulleit for $20 off their usual price.

Don

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Went shopping at Meijer's this morning. Their prices on bourbon are usually pretty good.

They are having a sale on Bourbon/liquor/wine. Got a bottle of 10YO Bulleit for $20 off their usual price.

Don

If I asked for BLANDton's my local guys would think I bumped my head :):

We certainly have discussed the factors affecting supplies at our local stores. I have previously mentioned that I think the pressure big box stores like Kroger, Megier, Costco have put on the distillers and distributors to get much of the good stuff that is affordable in their stores is a big change and a newer development in the alcohol market. When Costco takes two cases that is four half cases local stores used to get. Multiplied by a lot of big box stores that is a lot of small local stores get nothing anymore, they just don't have the buying clout...

I too have to buy at big box or mega chain liquor stores, but sure don't like it...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Saw this the other night on Direct TV...

B8fnE2cCEAArvLh.jpg

Cool doc on bourbon making in Kentucky.

I swear 3/4 of the people in it are Jim Beam's great-great grandkids. Guess family trees don't branch much down there.:laugh:

And though slightly over $50, think I paid $58, I finally found Burning Chair right here in Elkhart. My previous bottles were imported from Kaliforina and Missouri...

QVVrYEW.jpg

My son, son in law, and me all love bourbon, but we have very different tastes. Burning Chair is the one bourbon we all agree on. And we all put it at #1 for anything below the "exotic" price point.

They also make an American whiskey and a rye, both well below $50, that are good too.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't drink at all anymore, but I do buy bottles as gifts on occasion. I live in close proximity to Louisville and I'm wondering about a couple of things. If I were to drive to Bardstown or some of the local distilleries would I be able to find these rare-ish versions in their gift shop(s)? Also, the SDF airport has a "Bourbon Store" located after security that has a lot of variety; in fact, that's why I looked at this thread... to see what ppl were looking for on the chance they have it.

Surely someone has tried these angles, haven't they?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just got a bottle of Buffalo Trace this week on sale for $20. For that price, it's pretty good.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't drink at all anymore, but I do buy bottles as gifts on occasion. I live in close proximity to Louisville and I'm wondering about a couple of things. If I were to drive to Bardstown or some of the local distilleries would I be able to find these rare-ish versions in their gift shop(s)? Also, the SDF airport has a "Bourbon Store" located after security that has a lot of variety; in fact, that's why I looked at this thread... to see what ppl were looking for on the chance they have it.

Surely someone has tried these angles, haven't they?
    The answer is maybe! What you will be able to get is some of the Distillery only selections that aren’t for sale anywhere else.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Old Forester 1920 or Elijah Craig
    Are you asking for opinions?
    Those are 2 different beasts unless you're meaning Elijah craig barrel proof.
    Because the 1920 is lile 115 proof. I love it.
    I also love elijah craig barrel proof. They release 3 different batches per year so each one will vary in flavor and proof but its gonna be around 130 proof.
    Both around the same money with 1920 slightly cheaper and much easier to find.
    They also have elijah craig small batch, its like 94 proof i think. I don't drink the lower proofers really.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Big Red Liquors Cask Strength on Fry road and 31... I had no idea. It looks so basic and small on the outside... but the inside is incredible. Have so much stuff to choose from.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    New leader in my clubhouse for best under $50 bottle...

87032254_2656871104410738_1895575913349775360_o.jpg

And it's way under $50. On sale this week in my neighborhood for $23.99.:rockwoot:

At that price, I might really need a case.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry in advance because there's no way that this should be in the less than $50 thread.

Rare, nearly impossible to find, only sold in KY & TN. The heat is crazy and isolated in the mouth. Multiple flavors roam around the mouth as it rolls down the throat.
    9e51464fbde4b73fa249ca9382d1f544.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We often talk about the difficulty finding the top under $50 bourbons and the causes. I heard another plausible reason yesterday. The taste craze that was brought about by the craft beer explosion, particularly among the young is crossing over into bourbon. Older generations did not seek out top shelf bourbon back in the day, that was largely the province of older folks with the money to buy the premium spirits. The young typically sought a good bang for the buck and did not have the developed palate to drink whiskey neat. Now the young discuss beer and bourbon like wine connoisseurs of the past and many make the bucks to buy and drive prices up.

A young guy was telling me of a FB page where good $50 and under retail bourbons are often resold at prices four and five times retail. Not to mention the rare stuff like Pappy. I am trying to find a Pappy 15YO for the wife of a friend that wants it for a retirement gift for her husband. She will go $900 but I keep finding it at $1500. Crazy out there...

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Anyone use this service: https://flaviar.com/sp3 or like club?

Basically, you sign up for your membership, take a quiz to find your preferences, then they send you 3 sample filled viles every quarter to try and a full size bottle.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anyone use this service: https://flaviar.com/sp3 or like club?

Basically, you sign up for your membership, take a quiz to find your preferences, then they send you 3 sample filled viles every quarter to try and a full size bottle.

My son in law got that as a Christmas gift. He said it's OK. But he wouldn't pay what they want for the membership.

Top Bottom