• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The only Blantons worth drinking is Blanton's Straight from the Barrel. Its anywhere from 125 to 140 proof depending on the barrel. Not sold in the U.S., they only ship it overseas to sell. Stupid.
    You can get it. It runs $150 to $200.

I had a glass not long ago out of the country. It was an old bottle with a green label. Tasty...

utahskies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    NWI
    Evan Williams single barrel vintage is my bourban and branch favorite. Aged 10 years for a little over $30 bucks, hard to beat

Rifleman? Just saw the targets then saw your patch. good job. It's quite a accomplishment, takes a lot of dedecation.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This is the same thread where everyone complains about not being able to buy products for MSRP, right?

I only pay MSRP for my whiskey/whisky.

I have multiple bottles of VanWinkle, various BTAC, various Angels Envy annual releases, limited releases of Knob Creek, annual bottles of OF Birthday, annual bottles of Parkers, etc., etc., etc. I can get pretty much any bourbon, rye, Japanese whisky or scotch that I want if it is available in the state.

Find a well stocked shop. Be loyal to that shop. Become known by the shop owner. Buy your bags of ice, beer, wine, party supplies from that shop. That shop will treat you well. I have shops that actually set bottles aside for me and sell them to me at MSRP.

As for the best bourbon under $50 ... MAKERS MARK :rockwoot:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I only pay MSRP for my whiskey/whisky.

I have multiple bottles of VanWinkle, various BTAC, various Angels Envy annual releases, limited releases of Knob Creek, annual bottles of OF Birthday, annual bottles of Parkers, etc., etc., etc. I can get pretty much any bourbon, rye, Japanese whisky or scotch that I want if it is available in the state.

Find a well stocked shop. Be loyal to that shop. Become known by the shop owner. Buy your bags of ice, beer, wine, party supplies from that shop. That shop will treat you well. I have shops that actually set bottles aside for me and sell them to me at MSRP.

As for the best bourbon under $50 ... MAKERS MARK :rockwoot:

Not sure where you are located but that doesn't really work in Indy. I know a couple of liquor store owners and in our area they cannot get the allocation stuff. The big dogs in Indy get the allocation liquor and usually dole it out to a few favored customers and friends. Also there is great pressure from Kroger and Meiger for lower priceed allocation liquor like Eagle Rare and Blantons and with their buying volume they are getting it to keep customer traffic checking to see if they have it then purchasing something if they don't.

From what I have heard Kentucky is the best place to get allocation liquor and southern Indiana gets a decent amount and likely has the type of stores you describe.

But wait just a minute, didn't you just describe how you get allocation liquor by becoming a favored customer, isn't that what we complain about, it not being put on the shelves for all? LOL

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not sure where you are located but that doesn't really work in Indy. I know a couple of liquor store owners and in our area they cannot get the allocation stuff. The big dogs in Indy get the allocation liquor and usually dole it out to a few favored customers and friends. Also there is great pressure from Kroger and Meiger for lower priceed allocation liquor like Eagle Rare and Blantons and with their buying volume they are getting it to keep customer traffic checking to see if they have it then purchasing something if they don't.

From what I have heard Kentucky is the best place to get allocation liquor and southern Indiana gets a decent amount and likely has the type of stores you describe.

But wait just a minute, didn't you just describe how you get allocation liquor by becoming a favored customer, isn't that what we complain about, it not being put on the shelves for all? LOL
    Become a loyal customer. :yesway:

I have no issue with a store that sets rare bottles aside for favored customers.

Sorry but I have little patients for all the people who complain about local stores closing but then support Amazon ... or who won't buy a gun at the local gun shop because they can get it for $25 less if they order from Bud's and ship it to a low priced FFL, but then ***** about lack of service they get at the local shop ... or people who don't support the local liquor store but then ***** they can't get a fine bottle of (insert name here) ... or complain about not getting the premium cuts of steaks but then shop every other day at Kroger, etc etc etc

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Become a loyal customer. :yesway:

I have no issue with a store that sets rare bottles aside for loyal customers.

Sorry but I have little patients for all the people who complain about local stores closing but then support Amazon ... or who won't buy a gun at the local gun shop because they can get it for $25 less if they order from Bud's and ship it to a low priced FFL, but then ***** about lack of service they get at the local shop ... or people who don't support the local liquor store but then ***** they can't get a fine bottle of (insert name here) ... etc etc etc

My point was you have a rare situation if you have a "local" liquor store, with a local owner that works in the store, that has the clout to get allocation liquor. Liquor is big business in Indy, I do not even know of a north side Indy store that has those three requirements to even try. Folks I know in liquor distribution say allocation liquor is allocated down to the bottle in central Indiana. The big shops are all staffed mostly by part time workers many have no idea about anything they ring up. So tell me, just where are the liquor stores I can do that located?

And I was just teasing you about schmoozing the owner, hence the. LOL

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My point was you have a rare situation if you have a "local" liquor store, with a local owner that works in the store, that has the clout to get allocation liquor. Liquor is big business in Indy, I do not even know of a north side Indy store that has those three requirements to even try. Folks I know in liquor distribution say allocation liquor is allocated down to the bottle in central Indiana. The big shops are all staffed mostly by part time workers many have no idea about anything they ring up. So tell me, just where are the liquor stores I can do that located?

And I was just teasing you about schmoozing the owner, hence the. LOL
    This is very true. I've spent a lot of money on allocated bourbons. If I could spend those thousands in just one store that would guarentee me allocated stuff then I would gladly do it. Not happening here. Also if you could there are litteraly hundreds of other people who would be willing to do the same.
    Melensdad, if you have a honey hole where you get that stuff regular then you are very fortunate and I'm very happy for you. Around Indianapolis the only way you are getting that stuff is if you know someone in distribution giving you tips. "Insider trading" if you will.
    It is what it is. Free market.
    I've just accepted that there are some bottles that I will never see for retail ever, or own unless I pay hundreds or even thousands over retail. And a lot of times stores around Indy will mark up allocated bottles over retail. You can walk into 21st amendments liquor right now and buy some pappy, if you want to pay full secondary. Or Weller 12, same thing. Neither is worth that much to me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is very true. I've spent a lot of money on allocated bourbons. If I could spend those thousands in just one store that would guarentee me allocated stuff then I would gladly do it. Not happening here. Also if you could there are litteraly hundreds of other people who would be willing to do the same.
    Melensdad, if you have a honey hole where you get that stuff regular then you are very fortunate and I'm very happy for you. Around Indianapolis the only way you are getting that stuff is if you know someone in distribution giving you tips. "Insider trading" if you will.
    It is what it is. Free market.
    I've just accepted that there are some bottles that I will never see for retail ever, or own unless I pay hundreds or even thousands over retail. And a lot of times stores around Indy will mark up allocated bottles over retail. You can walk into 21st amendments liquor right now and buy some pappy, if you want to pay full secondary. Or Weller 12, same thing. Neither is worth that much to me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trigger Time again.

Is there a 15 year or better pappy that you specifically know of in Indy let me know as I have a friend retiring in a few months and his wife and she would love to get him one as a retirement gift. 15 is also likely the limit of her budget...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trigger Time again.

Is there a 15 year or better pappy that you specifically know of in Indy let me know as I have a friend retiring in a few months and his wife and she would love to get him one as a retirement gift. 15 is also likely the limit of her budget...
    I cant remember which 21st store on the north side it was but they have all the pappys in a glass case at full secondary. So the 15 would probably be around 1200 to 1500 i think.
    I cant spend that on a bottle I'm gonna drink. I'd love to have a bottle of the vanwinkle 10 year and the 12 year lot B. Maybe one day the clouds will part and I will walk into some store that has an owner who isn't marking their stuff up. Ive seen lots of them in stores, just like with the BTAC stuff id love to have but they have always been marked up to secondary or even higher plus tax.
    If I ever get one ill hit up some friends and we will share it. Bourbon is like shooting, it brings people together.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I cant remember which 21st store on the north side it was but they have all the pappys in a glass case at full secondary. So the 15 would probably be around 1200 to 1500 i think.
    I cant spend that on a bottle I'm gonna drink. I'd love to have a bottle of the vanwinkle 10 year and the 12 year lot B. Maybe one day the clouds will part and I will walk into some store that has an owner who isn't marking their stuff up. Ive seen lots of them in stores, just like with the BTAC stuff id love to have but they have always been marked up to secondary or even higher plus tax.
    If I ever get one ill hit up some friends and we will share it. Bourbon is like shooting, it brings people together.

Yes it is the ultimate sharing experience I would take sharing a 12 vs a 23 alone. And true bourbon guys are great generous people. A guy reading a post on a forum sent me a pm said if I gave him my address he would send me 3 oz of 15 Pappy, it arrived a week later. But couldn't drink it alone, I shared it and now it is his wife trying to find it for his retirement. LOL

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Decided to finally jump in and try something besides Jim Beam. Made a trip to Costco and picked this up. I had Woodford Reserve in the cart until I saw a Four Roses. Then I saw this Four Roses Small Batch for $28.99 for 750 ML. Tastes pretty good to my uneducated palette.

21235380-9E40-4BF1-8679-3897CA55B9E6.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I cant remember which 21st store on the north side it was but they have all the pappys in a glass case at full secondary. So the 15 would probably be around 1200 to 1500 i think. ...

There are plenty of bourbon websites for trading and buy/sell that are far far far cheaper. Not as cheap as MSRP, but not crazy stupid. If you want some Pappy 15 you can find it far more reasonably priced that $1200. In fact close to a thousand dollars cheaper.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Decided to finally jump in and try something besides Jim Beam. Made a trip to Costco and picked this up. I had Woodford Reserve in the cart until I saw a Four Roses. Then I saw this Four Roses Small Batch for $28.99 for 750 ML. Tastes pretty good to my uneducated palette.

View attachment 83446

Personally, I'm a fan of Four Roses Small Batch. It's a good, easy sipper. Wait until you try the Single Barrel. I like it even more.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There are plenty of bourbon websites for trading and buy/sell that are far far far cheaper. Not as cheap as MSRP, but not crazy stupid. If you want some Pappy 15 you can find it far more reasonably priced that $1200. In fact close to a thousand dollars cheaper.

Any that are reasonably safe to be on?

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville

View attachment 83446

Followed up the Four Roses Small Batch with some Makers Mark. Being fairly new to bourbons, I opened up the Makers Mark and tasted it, following it with a taste of the Four Roses. The Makers Mark seemed to be a little smoother and less burn. I then poured a couple ounces of the Makers Mark, added a couple of ice cubes and enjoyed it. Looking forward to learning and tasting more. C2624515-C630-4311-814A-3AC59DC0A83A.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Followed up the Four Roses Small Batch with some Makers Mark. Being fairly new to bourbons, I opened up the Makers Mark and tasted it, following it with a taste of the Four Roses. The Makers Mark seemed to be a little smoother and less burn. I then poured a couple ounces of the Makers Mark, added a couple of ice cubes and enjoyed it. Looking forward to learning and tasting more. View attachment 83583

That is how you do it...

Top Bottom