• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Some day I'm gonna have to try some of these taste treats you fellas are on to.

OK, it's not a bourbon story but it was news to me.
    Waiting to get into the dentist my brother needed some pain killer and his son brought him a jug of sotol.
    Said it hurt like **** when it first hit the tooth but numbed it pretty quick.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have always been kind of a Jim Beem type, inexpensive, with a nice flavor and a gental warmth. But I have tried the Jim Beam Double Oak and it is a step up. I also tried the Jim Beam Black and must say that I prefer the Black over the Double Oak. Not quite sure but to me the Black has a better blend of the spicey flavors than the Double Oak. A little off of the Burbon, I have recently tried the Buliet Rye and throughly enjoy the flavor of the rye.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was recently given a "collector's edition" bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed that came with a set of rocks glasses. My father in- law received this as a gift back when he was in the Navy, retired in 07'. He never touched it and it's been sitting in his pantry ever since. Based off the research I've done it appears this was a batch that was bottled in 03' and based off the "Rare Breed" selection they supposedly use a blend of 12-8-6 year old bourbon. Based off that I'm looking at 28-24-22 year old blended bourbon. I think I'll save it for a special occasion!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A lot of folks sure believe that whisky will age in a bottle, they have some cheap stuff that they have been hanging on to for 20 years and they think it something special. LOL

I’m just learning about bourbon but from what I currently understand is that bourbon ages in the barrel but basically stops once bottled. At that point it’s meant to be consumed.

I know a little more about wine. That can and will age in the bottle. That said a majority of the wines being produced today are close to or at their peak flavor and are best consumed now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m just learning about bourbon but from what I currently understand is that bourbon ages in the barrel but basically stops once bottled. At that point it’s meant to be consumed.

I know a little more about wine. That can and will age in the bottle. That said a majority of the wines being produced today are close to or at their peak flavor and are best consumed now.

Far from master distiller here but here are the basics.

Bourbon is aged in a new barrel, that barrel is burned or charred on the inside, the liguid goes in and out of the layer of char over the time, effectively charcoal filtering it while flavoring it. It is the time filtering, temperature changes and evaporation that work on the liquid. Once in a glass container there is nothing natural to affect the liquid.

The used barrels are then shipped out to make Scotch, Irish, or Canadian whiskey's, that is why they are lighter in color, more golden and bourbon is a dark amber.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Far from master distiller here but here are the basics.

Bourbon is aged in a new barrel, that barrel is burned or charred on the inside, the liguid goes in and out of the layer of char over the time, effectively charcoal filtering it while flavoring it. It is the time filtering, temperature changes and evaporation that work on the liquid. Once in a glass container there is nothing natural to affect the liquid.

The used barrels are then shipped out to make Scotch, Irish, or Canadian whiskey's, that is why they are lighter in color, more golden and bourbon is a dark amber.

:yesway: Thanks! I have to remember: Bourbon=new charred barrels, Scotch and whiskey=old barrels. I assume never uncharred barrels?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    :yesway: Thanks! I have to remember: Bourbon=new charred barrels, Scotch and whiskey=old barrels. I assume never uncharred barrels?

Scotch doesn't HAVE to be aged in used barrels. Scottish distilleries can use either new or used. They initially started going with used barrels because they're cheaper.

Bourbon does indeed have to be new, charred oak barrels. Rye also.

As far as uncharred barrels? I can't imagine a distillery using uncharred barrels. The char is a big part of where the color and flavor come from.

Oh, and whiskey vs. whisky, to simplify it greatly:

Canada/Scotland/India/Japan = whisky
    USA (with a few exceptions) & Ireland = whiskey

For more information ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemic...y-or-whiskey-and-why-it-matters/#593c8dc47561

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As far as uncharred barrels? I can't imagine a distillery using uncharred barrels. The char is a big part of where the color and flavor come from.
    Aksuhly....

The charred portion offers some, but most comes from the layer of wood just behind it - that's where all the tasty caramelized sugars are.

A lot of the difference is the way it was made - one is distilled, one isn't.

Wine (and beer) contain a fair about of carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins in a mildly alcoholic solution. Those complex organic chemicals will continue to interact.

The "aging" of whisk(e)y and other brown spirits isn't so much about giving the liquor itself time to age, but giving it time to move in, and out, of the barrel, thus extracting the chemicals from the wood - alcohol is a powerful solvent.

As to "aging" after the seal is broken, all things will begin to oxidize. But, high alcohol beverages fair the "ravish of time" much, much better than wine* and beer, which will turn acetic (souring from bacteria) and oxidized (musty, wet paper aroma), pretty rapidly.

* Even fortified wines like sherry and port don't last nearly as long. So, if you're fond of mixing a good Manhattan, keep that bottle of vermouth in the fridge.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I dont think bourbon or whiskey will go bad once its bottled as long as its unopened. Should last forever.
    Some wines however will go bad

Truth.

Keep it sealed from the air so it doesn't oxidize and you are gtg.

(FWIW, not a bad idea to keep some whiskey stockpiled. In a SHTF situation, it can be a decent currency.)

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Just picked up a bottle of the Kirkland Small Batch. 7 yr, 93 Proof. Distilled and Bottled by Tennessee Distillers, Columbia Tennessee.

Looking forward to giving it a try. Wonder if it will be comparable to their Kentucky product.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Im headed to Chicago next weekend. Any good stores to hit in the downtown area?
    Binnys downtown. Its huge. They have high end stuff and normal stuff. Also the locked room with super expensive & rare stuff. That's where I go up there.
    I wouldn't suggest walking in that neighborhood or waiting too long outside for a ride. Have your uber or whatever waiting as you walk out the door lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Aksuhly....

* Even fortified wines like sherry and port don't last nearly as long. So, if you're fond of mixing a good Manhattan, keep that bottle of vermouth in the fridge.

Been thinking of trying to make some Manhattan's at home. Thanks for the advice! I would not have thought of that.

Top Bottom