• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone seen any Blanton's or Wellers 12 year anywhere in southern or southeast Indiana, or northern Ky? Sure would like to find a bottle of either, or both if possible.

btw: the New Riff looks inviting, I'll pick one up if I see one.

Why not Pappy Van Winkle?

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I've pretty much given up on finding weller. Pappy is easier to find

Yes, Pappy would be good to find as well.

Picked up a bottle of the New Riff yesterday, opened it last evening. Is good, but at $46 I thought it was just a bit over priced, and that was at Krogers. Maybe should have been $37-40 in todays market.

YMMV

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Opened a bottle of Old Ezra barrel strength tonight and first impressions are.....

it has no flavor and the finish is all of 2 seconds long

Going to take a while to try this one out

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So as a change up. Instead of the best, I got one for never again list. "Not your father's" has a bourbon. It in my opinion was just terrible. There was vanilla added to it and it was overpowering. I should've figured...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I didnt notice there was flavor added. To be honest I bought this at a gas station at 6 am in chicago as I was giving my boss a ride to pick up his vehicle from the catholic school he parked at to meet the heads of of our company to discuss ... business? Needless to say, I just read the name....

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I just discovered this over the weekend;

sexton-irish-whiskey_1.jpg

It's from a newer Irish distillery, and it's pretty good. Very reasonable price point too, I got my bottle for under $30.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I just discovered this over the weekend;

sexton-irish-whiskey_1.jpg

It's from a newer Irish distillery, and it's pretty good. Very reasonable price point too, I got my bottle for under $30.

Based on your comment, I took a flyer on this yesterday at Kroger (Owens here in Warsaw). they had it on the shelf for less than $30/bottle and an additional 15% off if you bought at least 6 bottles of booze. So I decided to stock up on various liquors including this. End price was, well, quite acceptable. And I think this compares favorably to Jamesons and other Irish that Ive tried. And the bottle is kind of unique and attention-getting!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Irish Whiskey =/= Bourbon. :-)

Also - I made a rather tasty Old Fashioned the other day out of the bottle of Four Roses that I have. Add in a bit of vanilla bourbon syrup and a real honest-to-God Luxardo cherry... MmMMmmmmm

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Irish Whiskey =/= Bourbon. :-)

Also - I made a rather tasty Old Fashioned the other day out of the bottle of Four Roses that I have. Add in a bit of vanilla bourbon syrup and a real honest-to-God Luxardo cherry... MmMMmmmmm

Well aware that Irish is not bourbon. But, queary, is bourbon mixed into a drink like that still bourbon? I dunno as I tend to drink mine straight or maybe with some ice and/or water. :)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was wondering how everyone enjoys their whiskey. Straight up, with a little ice, with a little water, straight out of the refrigerator, with a little soft drink. What is the best.
    Hickory

My needs are pretty simple. I still enjoy sipping Woodford Reserve from Walmart for just over 30 bucks a bottle, usually neat or with a couple of whiskey stones in a rocks glass.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You guys kill me. I've been all over the place and cant find it

Build a relationship with the owner/manager of a larger store that is already well stocked. It is a safe bet that the 'good stuff' lives on a shelf in the back room and is handed out to only the regular customers who frequent the store. I know several stores that work this way. The ones that don't typically put the rare/limited stuff out, if they even get any of it, at greatly inflated prices.

I buy rare, fine and limited bourbons at MSRP from a couple retailers. Those bottles never make it to the shelf for 'regular' customers. The case sits in the back and the 'regulars' are asked if they want one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That’s not a bad bit of advice. Kind of like establishing a relationship at a gun shop. It also means that I’ll have to double down on my bourbon shopping. Are there any good shops that you’d recommend on Indy’s south side?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... Are there any good shops that you’d recommend on Indy’s south side?

That is 3 hours drive away from me so I've got no clue. But I'd just suggest you find an independent store that is well stocked and start to patronize that for the bulk of your needs. Find out what time the manager or owner is in the store and make sure you shop when the boss is at the store. Does no good to shop when the minimum wage clerk is there. You need to build a relationship.

But make sure it is a well stocked store with plenty of whisky. Lots of limited whisky items never get allocated to the stores that move tons of beer but not much of the coveted brown juice.

Top Bottom