• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats on adding some really good stuff to the collection! My wife bought me a bottle of the Elijah Craig 18yr several years back for my birthday, it is really good. I'd bet that WL Weller is phenomenal as well!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Congrats on adding some really good stuff to the collection! My wife bought me a bottle of the Elijah Craig 18yr several years back for my birthday, it is really good. I'd bet that WL Weller is phenomenal as well!

I've been trying to get a W.L.W. for a few years. Really looking forward to trying this one.

I'm curious about the Jefferson's Chateau Pichon Baron too. But that can be found and many good shops. Hoping its not hype.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Cracked the seal on the bottle of the Jefferson's Chateau Pichon Baron.

At $99 I would not call it a value. But I did like it.

Typical of many of the wine cask finish bourbons, it has a bit of wine on the front of the palate. Its not overdone. Some, like the Master Collection from Woodford Reserve, have over-finished their bourbons in a wine cask to the point that they lost the bourbon essence. Others have done a good job of just getting enough of the mellowness of the wine cask finishing to enhance the flavor without destroying the underlying bourbon. I would put this Jefferson's into the successful category. I tried it last night, neat, in a Glencairn glass. The upfront scent focused on the nose was alcohol. But the initial impression on the tongue did not have any bite or sharpness or mouth tingle from alcohol. It was a smooth bourbon, lacking the bite of high ryes. No noticeable burn going into the belly upon the finish. Just a very nice sipping bourbon that is easy to sip with some complex flavors and enough of a hint of the wine finishing on the front end to enhance it all.

If you see it and want something special, buy it. But at a MSRP of $99 its not cheap, nor is it a particular value as a must have. Its a nice special occasion sipper. There are better bourbons in this price range. I'm happy to have it, no regrets. But in this price range I'll take a Pappy 12 or anything from the B.T. Antique Collection as those are all a few dollars less expensive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Picked up a bottle of Rabbit Hole Bourbon for $39 this weekend. New Distillery in Louisville. The Bottle I picked up is from Batch #2 and bottled at 95 proof.

It has a pleasant nose out of the bottle, but turns to more of a rubbing alcohol scent in a rocks glass.
    Neat, it is smooth with a lingering warmth in the mouth and throat and slightly peppery finish.
    fter adding a couple ice cubes and letting it melt a bit the peppery finish intensifies slightly. I actually prefer this one neat.

Trying some now on the rocks with ginger-ale and it's a fairly decent cocktail.

Overall: A good bourbon, but not the best value in the price range for me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Went through several lately. Jim Beam Rye (not bad for a cheap rye), nothing special Eagle Rare, Rowan's Creek, Bird Dog, Spirit Of America (worth a clearance price of $10), and a couple bottles of Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, can only get it in KY and for the price pretty tasty

Getting to the point now where I'm running out of cheap/non special stuff and don't want to crack into the harder to get stuff (especially in IN)

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got 2 bottles today. Little Book and a Van Winkle 12 year, Lot B.

The Van Winkle is always awesome, so I suspect this bottle will be just as good as prior years.

Not sure why, but it seems like Little Book is an allocated brand here in Indiana, but is fairly widely available in other states. Should be interesting to try the Little Book as this is they first offering of that expression.

Picked up a bottle of Rabbit Hole Bourbon for $39 this weekend. ...

Overall: A good bourbon, but not the best value in the price range for me.
    I tried it at the bourbon festival in Indy. I would agree with you. Its ok, but at the $40 price point there are better values.

Enjoying a little Knob Creek tonight. New to Bourbons, but I am learning.
    Knob Creek comes in a few different varieties. Some are excellent. The 120 proof is very good, but you may want to ease into that one, start with a single ice cube and let it melt a bit, test it, let the cube melt a bit more if needed, etc. I have a couple different limited releases in the cabinets now, including the anniversary edition.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Finally busted into one of the Bookers I had for a while, the 2016-04 Bluegill one

Picking up a bottle of Weller Special Reserve tomorrow, nothing super special but seemingly impossible to get around here

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Finally busted into one of the Bookers I had for a while, the 2016-04 Bluegill one

Picking up a bottle of Weller Special Reserve tomorrow, nothing super special but seemingly impossible to get around here

While every batch of Bookers has a slightly different taste the flavor profile is always fairly close between each batch and its, to my taste, one of the better bourbons on the market and a great value too. Used to be about $50, now I see it closer to $60, but its a barrel proof so a little goes a long way :yesway:

As for the Weller, the Special Reserve is probably the easiest Weller to find and yet its like pulling teeth to get a bottle. I don't know why. Some areas its on the shelf year around, other areas it seems to be available once a year and in high demand. I buy it when I find it, which is almost never, and savor it while I have it. Congrats on getting a bottle.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    While every batch of Bookers has a slightly different taste the flavor profile is always fairly close between each batch and its, to my taste, one of the better bourbons on the market and a great value too. Used to be about $50, now I see it closer to $60, but its a barrel proof so a little goes a long way :yesway:

As for the Weller, the Special Reserve is probably the easiest Weller to find and yet its like pulling teeth to get a bottle. I don't know why. Some areas its on the shelf year around, other areas it seems to be available once a year and in high demand. I buy it when I find it, which is almost never, and savor it while I have it. Congrats on getting a bottle.

Bookers anymore at most liquor stores in central Indiana is $79-$99, can get it down to $62 when buying in case price.

Picking 5 bottles up in a couple weeks off a friend in KY for $50ea (got them back when it was "cheap")

I found 1 bottle of Special Reserve and 1 bottle of 107 last year, walked into the store at the right time (2 separate times) and they had just put some out and limit 1 of course so got my limit and been looking ever since. Have yet to see it just sitting on a shelf. My bourbon foo is weak

I figured at this rate, in 8 or so years when I might have several bottles, I'll finally crack one open

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I am looking for an Indiana made whiskey for a gift for $50 or less. The person that I am getting it for is a connoisseur of whiskey. Hard to compete with that but at least know they wouldn't have any from Indiana. Any ideas of what would be good? Thanks! SAM ( Mary)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am looking for an Indiana made whiskey for a gift for $50 or less. The person that I am getting it for is a connoisseur of whiskey. Hard to compete with that but at least know they wouldn't have any from Indiana. Any ideas of what would be good? Thanks! SAM ( Mary)

2 brands I can think of:
    Harrisons (they make 3 varieties, the lower end should be at/under $50)
    Indiana Whiskey Co (based in South Bend, I think about $40)

Top Bottom