• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW, the "I HEART BOURBON" festival in Indy was a good time.

Low points included lots of 'flavored whiskey' products like Fireball and Dr Migilicuddies (which are actually mostly made from vodka) and you are limited to 1 sample from each vendor so if a vendor had 5 products you were limited to 1 sample of 1 product and nothing more. It was also sunny and 90-something degrees, we got their right when the doors opened and managed to snag a picnic table that was in the shade so we were some of the lucky people.

High points included the music and trying some bourbons that I wanted to sample but have never seen in stores in my area.

I found out that RABBIT HOLE, which is a newer brand and generally pricy is not worth the money. Found out that Indiana's Starlight has a new offering. Their Carl T is a great value and superb product but now they also have a small batch too. Old Forester didn't have the new Statesman product but did have several others that are excellent, especially the 1920 Prohibition Style!!! Col EH Taylor's Barrel Proof is astounding, glad I was able to try that one. Beer Barrel from New Holland has a new bottle but the product is just as good as the old stuff, love it. Daughter even commented that it was good. OYO out of Ohio had one of their bourbons there, great stuff.

I was there with my wife and my daughter so I had 3 tickets per vendor. My wife was designated driver, my daughter does not favor bourbon but tried a few. I got to try pretty much anything and everything I wanted. Actually skipped a few vendors like Rebel Yell because there was nothing at their tent worth sampling (they brought "flavored whisky" to a bourbon event!).

Overall really glad we went.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    FWIW, the "I HEART BOURBON" festival in Indy was a good time.

Low points included lots of 'flavored whiskey' products like Fireball and Dr Migilicuddies (which are actually mostly made from vodka) and you are limited to 1 sample from each vendor so if a vendor had 5 products you were limited to 1 sample of 1 product and nothing more. It was also sunny and 90-something degrees, we got their right when the doors opened and managed to snag a picnic table that was in the shade so we were some of the lucky people.

High points included the music and trying some bourbons that I wanted to sample but have never seen in stores in my area.

I found out that RABBIT HOLE, which is a newer brand and generally pricy is not worth the money. Found out that Indiana's Starlight has a new offering. Their Carl T is a great value and superb product but now they also have a small batch too. Old Forester didn't have the new Statesman product but did have several others that are excellent, especially the 1920 Prohibition Style!!! Col EH Taylor's Barrel Proof is astounding, glad I was able to try that one. Beer Barrel from New Holland has a new bottle but the product is just as good as the old stuff, love it. Daughter even commented that it was good. OYO out of Ohio had one of their bourbons there, great stuff.

I was there with my wife and my daughter so I had 3 tickets per vendor. My wife was designated driver, my daughter does not favor bourbon but tried a few. I got to try pretty much anything and everything I wanted. Actually skipped a few vendors like Rebel Yell because there was nothing at their tent worth sampling (they brought "flavored whisky" to a bourbon event!).

Overall really glad we went.

The wife bought some Spring Mill bourbon for me some years back, she actually bought it for the clay bottle, but it was good. Haven't seen it around, do you remember seeing at the festival?

Last edited:

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I was also with there with the lady and for her who doesn't enjoy bourbon but just came to check it out, the flavored whiskeys were even a let down for her. The one sample from each table was a let down as it wasn't explained online or until we had already had went to a few tables. We got there right at noon, talked with the director who informed us of the 10th table backing out. She surely let us know that all the tables had been notified that you could come back for the 10th sample since that was the original deal. Cut to us already having gone to the 9 tables and going to get our 10th sample only to find out it had to be one of the mixes from the Jim Beam tables. I would go again, now I know somewhat to expect.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The wife bought some Spring Mill bourbon for me some years back, she actually bought it for the clay bottle, but it was good. Haven't seen it around, do you remember seeing at the festival?

*has a bottle sitting on the shelf, unopened* :)
    29y43t2.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't believe Spring Mill Bourbon is in production any longer.

I agree, it was pretty good stuff.

*has a bottle sitting on the shelf, unopened* :)
    Crack it open and drink it. Doesn't do much good to have unopened bourbon. Unless you are a bottle collector/trader. Personally I buy it to drink.

I was also with there with the lady and for her who doesn't enjoy bourbon but just came to check it out, the flavored whiskeys were even a let down for her. The one sample from each table was a let down as it wasn't explained online or until we had already had went to a few tables. We got there right at noon, talked with the director who informed us of the 10th table backing out. She surely let us know that all the tables had been notified that you could come back for the 10th sample since that was the original deal. Cut to us already having gone to the 9 tables and going to get our 10th sample only to find out it had to be one of the mixes from the Jim Beam tables. I would go again, now I know somewhat to expect.
    Agreed that I was not happy with the need to go to each tent for 1 sample. Lots of people were not happy about that. As I was there with my non-bourbon drinking wife and not-so-much bourbon drinking daughter I essentially had 3 tickets per tent. So I walked up with 3 tickets, specified which 3 I wanted to try, walked away with 3 samples and sometimes my daughter would try a sip of one or another ... sometimes not.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just picked up a bottle of the limited release Old Forester 2017 BIRTHDAY Bourbon. Prices 4 years ago were a penny under $50/bottle. Been nosing up yearly. Now a few pennies under $100/bottle. When will this stop?

I know that RYE is the hot new beverage, and GIN is pretty hot too. But I thought the pressure would start to come off the Bourbon market. Apparently not :n00b:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Prices are much quicker to trend upward when demand spikes than they are to come down when it recedes. I'm holding out hope that some day I'll be able to buy whatever I want for a reasonable price (Pappy's 15yr for $50?). A guy can dream can't he?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I know that RYE is the hot new beverage, and GIN is pretty hot too. But I thought the pressure would start to come off the Bourbon market. Apparently not :n00b:

Rye is in? Great, I thought prices were creeping up, but thought it was just me. Guess the few bottles of meager 3 year rye Willet 111 proof I've been hanging onto I shouldn't crack open just yet; along with some of the rye I've picked up on good sales (didn't sell as quick as bourbon so hello sale prices :) )

A friend of mine who was usually not a rye fan picked up some Bookers Rye, which I didn't know they did, he likes it a lot.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a bottle of that. Haven't cracked open yet. Got it on clearense for I think $21.99, maybe less
    That being said to a while back I got some Michters rye for $20.99

Just got some Michter's on the last shopping visit. Really not bad at all.

Before our Bourbon trip in KY, my wife hated whiskey/bourbon/etc. Loathed it. Now... after learning about it at the distilleries there, and knowing how to appreciate it... she actually likes Ryes. So far, Michters being her favorite. I'll have to get another bottle of Whistlepig or something to have her try...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Was digging around the back of the cabinet and found a bottle of Jefferson's OCEAN Aged at Sea Voyage 5. It was opened at one point, but looks like only a single drink had been poured. No clue what my first impression of this voyage was when I tried it back whenever.

Today I know what my impression is. Seriously good bourbon. Wow.

They are on Voyage 11 now. So this bottle is probably a year and half old. Voyage 5 is long gone. Some of the Voyages have been excellent, some just OK, some good. I'm really loving Voyage 5.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This. Oh my, this.... I had some while out at dinner with my wife last week, came home and started searching online. I found two bottles reasonably priced in St Louis and ordered them. Just got home from work and they were here waiting for me. Gentlemen, if you happen across this stuff in a store (and it isn't outrageously priced) please buy it. If you don't like it I will pay you for the bottle. Matter of fact, if you see anything with the W.L. Weller name on the bottle and the price is $50 or less please buy it, same deal. It may not be for everyone but it is 100% up my alley.

n2RXZg8h.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Another good one from Buffalo Trace? I'll have to keep an eye out for it...

If you find it, I recommend having it neat or with just a touch of water. I typically like my bourbon with a nice ice globe but this one is best without. It's got a softer flavor before the ice begins to melt. I'm going to try it with my whiskey stones instead of ice, I expect it'll be more pleasurable.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This. Oh my, this.... I had some while out at dinner with my wife last week, came home and started searching online. I found two bottles reasonably priced in St Louis and ordered them. Just got home from work and they were here waiting for me. Gentlemen, if you happen across this stuff in a store (and it isn't outrageously priced) please buy it. If you don't like it I will pay you for the bottle. Matter of fact, if you see anything with the W.L. Weller name on the bottle and the price is $50 or less please buy it, same deal. It may not be for everyone but it is 100% up my alley.

n2RXZg8h.jpg

I picked up a bottle yesterday for $24.99 at my local liquor store.....She said they get six bottles a year and she rewarded me with it for my continued patronage...

I am happy....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Scored some fine and rare bourbons yesterday, plus a couple a bit more ordinary.

The W.L.W. and the Parkers are the real prizes.

PARKERS HERITAGE ... a rare limited edition that is released in different age and different style each year. This year is an 11 year old blend, its also the last offering from Parker Beam as he died recently. There are others in the works for future years but they will be finished by other master distillers so this is the last offering from the original PARKERS HERITAGE lineage that was taken through completion.

BLADE & BOW ... not a special bourbon but its been hard to get in Indiana, apparently distribution is now in place

BULLEIT "Barrel Proof" Batch No2 ... not super rare but still pretty difficult to find and limited release numbers. It is not even listed on their website, so I'm not sure how limited the production was of this offering.

WILLIAM LAREAU WELLER ... rare and fine! From the Antique Collection, one of the finest in the world, and very limited release. Couldn't find this one anywhere the last 2 years!

JEFFERSON'S Chateau Pichon Baron cask finish ... fairly limited and semi rare.

ELIJAH CRAIG 18 ... again, not a super rare offering, but it is fairly hard to find so it was a good pick up.

Top Bottom