• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Blanton's in my Glencairn glass tonight.

94 proof and not too hot in the gut, just a little warmth but not a real burn.

I'm not a huge fan of this one. Honestly I think the flavor going into my mouth is really nice, its got sweetness to it and it smooth and pleasant, but at the back of the mouth it becomes somewhat acerbic and harsh. Too bad because this could be really good. Its not horrible, its not bad, but nor is it really good either.

I've had this before, this current bottle is 1/2 gone and about a year old. If I liked it I would have been gone long ago. I can understand why some people like Blanton's. I'm just turned off by that off taste at the back of the mouth.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Not sure that I've had that combination, but I've had bland crackers like the Carr's Table Water Crackers with bourbon/whiskey before and that is a good combination. Oyster crackers are pretty similar, very low salt, very bland.

Which Old Forester?

If I remember correctly, it was standard Old Forester. Not any special release.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If I remember correctly, it was standard Old Forester. Not any special release.

They sell a couple different 'standard' Old Foresters. Each has a different proof. One might be bottled "in bond" at a higher proof? But all those versions would be considered regular line offerings.

The only special release that I know of under that brand name is their special BIRTHDAY bourbon.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    They sell a couple different 'standard' Old Foresters. Each has a different proof. One might be bottled "in bond" at a higher proof? But all those versions would be considered regular line offerings.

The only special release that I know of under that brand name is their special BIRTHDAY bourbon.

Finally back from the in-laws in IA and can answer: 86 proof

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Picked up a bottle of the Jefferson's Manhattan this morning while getting powerball tickets.
    May try it tonight otherwise Friday night.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

Yes it's not Bourbon but dang this is some good stuff. Cost was just a shade under $40 and I find it to be quite the treat. I've only had this neat just don't see any reason to add a cube of ice. Heavy alcohol smell after the pour and it is rather wicked on first sip but let this sit for a few minutes and air. Once you do that you get a very nice drink. Very slight mouth burn but next to nothing in the tummy. Overall I really like this and will buy it again.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes it's not Bourbon but dang this is some good stuff. Cost was just a shade under $40 and I find it to be quite the treat. I've only had this neat just don't see any reason to add a cube of ice. Heavy alcohol smell after the pour and it is rather wicked on first sip but let this sit for a few minutes and air. Once you do that you get a very nice drink. Very slight mouth burn but next to nothing in the tummy. Overall I really like this and will buy it again.

First off, Dickel is LEGALLY a bourbon but it bills itself as a Tennessee Whiskey. What it calls itself does not negate the fact that by the legal definition of Bourbon, Dickel qualifies as Bourbon.

Second, I'm in total agreement with you on the Dickel Barrel Select being a great low/mid priced drink. Straight. No ice needed.

A few days ago I was at the NWI INGO CLUBHOUSE with INGO member 3FloydsFan and we were sipping on some Dickel Barrel Select. Good stuff.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Haven't been following this thread much lately, but has anybody tried any of the stuff from Bear Wallow distillery in Brown Co.? Wife and I went there last summer, had a few samples, which were all quite good, and took a short tour of the facility. It's a small place, but pretty cool to visit if you're in the area. My favorite there was liars bench, a rye whiskey, bought a bottle of it to add to my liquor selection.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Featured Bourbons: Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel and a Four Roses Private Selection by their Master Distiller Brent Elliot

Tickets: $50
    Event Location:
    300 West Main Street
    Louisville, KY 40202
    Time: 7:30 pm to 10 pm
    Wednesday, February 24

Bourbon Classic Loft Party With Four Roses
    If you are down there, you might consider Bourbon Classic "Savor" featuring Blackberry Farm and Pappy Van Winkle .
    On February 25th, the 2016 Bourbon Classic is thrilled to welcome the Blackberry Farm culinary team to Bourbon Country for a sit-down dinner that will feature a Bourbon tasting of Pappy Van Winkle 15-Year-Old Bourbon. The Frazier Museum in Downtown Louisville will play host to this event in their new exhibit Spirits of the Bluegrass: Prohibition and Kentucky. After cocktails and Pappy, folks will enjoy a four-course meal prepared by Blackberry Farm's Corporate Chef Josh Feathers and Blackberry's private label Bourbon. Tickets= $200 per

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Featured Bourbons: Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel and a Four Roses Private Selection by their Master Distiller Brent Elliot

Tickets: $50
    Event Location:
    300 West Main Street
    Louisville, KY 40202
    Time: 7:30 pm to 10 pm
    Wednesday, February 24

Bourbon Classic Loft Party With Four Roses

That looks fun! I have enjoyed both the single barrel and small batch, and currently have a bottle of single barrel in my cabinet.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    First off, Dickel is LEGALLY a bourbon but it bills itself as a Tennessee Whiskey. What it calls itself does not negate the fact that by the legal definition of Bourbon, Dickel qualifies as Bourbon.

Hey, just curious, and forgive me if this has already been answered, but what is the legal determination of "bourbon"?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hey, just curious, and forgive me if this has already been answered, but what is the legal determination of "bourbon"?

According to Wikipedia:

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[SUP][18][/SUP] must be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    According to Wikipedia:

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[SUP][18][/SUP] must be:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

And made in Kentucky (born and raised, have to defend it).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yep, I think Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky is a nice way to distinguish from other types of Whiskey (Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, etc.) but isn't an actual requirement (unless you are from Kentucky... ;) )

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    And made in Kentucky (born and raised, have to defend it).

^^^That right there.^^^ Don't care what wiki says, it can say whatever someone wants it to say, ever notice the [edit] icons floating around here and there when you are on a wiki page. Kinda like posting on a message board, (ingo?). Not to say that wiki doesn't have a lot of good info, it does. And of course you may find other resources that say they are a bourbon and not from Kentuck. Otherwise the rest of the requirements are spot on as I understand them.

So go ahead and post a picture of your finest bourbon label, that is distilled in another state, with the city name and state showing on the label. I currently have 18 of the common/popular whiskies on my shelves now, and three or four brands of scotch. Every label has a city and state. (Except the scotch, I can't read Scotch)

But I could be wrong.

Top Bottom