• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Me and a few friends took care of a bottle of Costo's Kirkland brand 7 year whiskey.

My first impression was it was to hot to like.
    Put an ice cube in and came back to it. Took out the some of the heat without watering it down.

I think I will get another bottle to keep on hand. I think it was right around 20 bucks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The last 3 ounces of Jefferson's Manhatten is out of the bottle. About an ounce left in my glass. Its a pretty good pre-mixed Manahatten too. Easy to drink. If I recall its only 56 proof. Nice flavors. Not sweet, but just enough Sweet Vermouth in it to cut the bourbon down and lend a bit of complexity.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Installed a wood floor in my friend's kitchen today. Tonight I'm sore. So I poured a little bit of WILLET'S Pot Still Bourbon in a glass. As a pain killer.

Didn't like this stuff the last couple times I tried it. Don't like it this time either. Its spicy, harsh, mildly aserbic and just hot enough in the belly to be unpleasant but not so hot that it is seriously objectionable. It is just not good enough in any way to be considered good. Some are hot but taste great. Some are mild but don't taste great. I just can't like this one.

I'm thinking it needs to be gone from my cabinet. Perhaps mixed into a Whiskey Sour or a Manhattan or something? Clearly its not good enough to drink neat.

Only good thing I can say about it is it comes in a really cool bottle.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Holy smokes this is a big thread! Adding my $.02, I humbly suggest Evan Williams Single Barrel. I've caught it at the occasional Walmart for $26. I think it's fantastic.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Holy smokes this is a big thread! Adding my $.02, I humbly suggest Evan Williams Single Barrel. I've caught it at the occasional Walmart for $26. I think it's fantastic.
    Expand your horizons.

Same price range, but tastes better: Makers Mark. Weller 12. Weller Special Reserve. Larceny.

A bit more $, but not expensive and awesome: New Holland's Beer Barrel. Weller Antique. Makers 46. Knob Creek 120 proof, Starlight (made here in Indiana).

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

Yes it is! Never thought it would grow this big when I originally posted it! It's cost me a lot of money too lol! But found some really good bourbon out of it!

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Expand your horizons.

Same price range, but tastes better: Makers Mark. Weller 12. Weller Special Reserve. Larceny.

A bit more $, but not expensive and awesome: New Holland's Beer Barrel. Weller Antique. Makers 46. Knob Creek 120 proof, Starlight (made here in Indiana).

Oh, I agree. I've been clear to Pappy Van Winkle and back. The OP was looking for a balance of price and quality.

Personally, I like my bourbons with a high rye content in the mash bill. I've also stopped buying anything from Maker's Mark since the Chinese bought it. They get enough of my money now. The Knob Creek is also a favorite that won't break the bank.

I haven't tried the New Holland (but I like their beer offerings) or the starlight. I'll give them a whirl.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Installed a wood floor in my friend's kitchen today. Tonight I'm sore. So I poured a little bit of WILLET'S Pot Still Bourbon in a glass. As a pain killer.

Didn't like this stuff the last couple times I tried it. Don't like it this time either. Its spicy, harsh, mildly aserbic and just hot enough in the belly to be unpleasant but not so hot that it is seriously objectionable. It is just not good enough in any way to be considered good. Some are hot but taste great. Some are mild but don't taste great. I just can't like this one.

I'm thinking it needs to be gone from my cabinet. Perhaps mixed into a Whiskey Sour or a Manhattan or something? Clearly its not good enough to drink neat.

Only good thing I can say about it is it comes in a really cool bottle.

This was my thought as well, won't keep a bottle on hand once this one is gone.

Expand your horizons.

I'd add one more to the list, Eagle Rare. Love the stuff!

Oh, I agree. I've been clear to Pappy Van Winkle and back. The OP was looking for a balance of price and quality.

Personally, I like my bourbons with a high rye content in the mash bill. I've also stopped buying anything from Maker's Mark since the Chinese bought it. They get enough of my money now. The Knob Creek is also a favorite that won't break the bank.

I haven't tried the New Holland (but I like their beer offerings) or the starlight. I'll give them a whirl.

Do you buy anything from Jim Beam?

GNRHOSH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Franklin
    I would have to agree with a lot of people here...

Below is the Bourbon that I found I tend to like, as most are on here already. All at or below the $50 mark if you find the right time of the year to buy them. Big Red Liquors or just across the state line Liquor Barn in KY.

Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 12
    E.H Taylor Small Batch or Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve
    Knob Creek Small Batch or Single Barrel
    Jim Beam Signature 12yr.
    Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel
    Makers Mark 46

Looking forward to trying the Billet and others at one of the next year's unlimited testing and rare bourbon chance to purchase raffles.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I'd say Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Makers Mark, and if you can find a sale, Blanton's (usually runs about $60-$70).

note: Scotch is also delicious. Johnny Walker black or double black would be in the range.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    At the Chicago Blackhawks game drinking Bullet that will definitely not be under $50 by the time I'm done. I wish they had a better selection here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    At the Chicago Blackhawks game drinking Bullet that will definitely not be under $50 by the time I'm done. I wish they had a better selection here.

Honestly never tried Bulleit Bourbon. I see it at the stores, just didn't ever pick up a bottle. And at a Blackhawks game that is probably about $500 a bottle if you buy it by the pour! But Bulleit is easily under $50 at the liquor stores. I paid $12 for a "double" Knob Creek 100 a couple days ago at the Lighthouse Restaurant in Cedar Lake, I'm guessing you paid that much for the Bulleit at the Blackhawks game?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We toured the Evan Williams experience in downtown Louisville, yesterday. It's not much like some of the other distillery tours we've done, as far as, you don't get the smell of a distillery, like at Beam, or Buffalo Trace, but it's a cool little step back in time to 1700s Louisville and the Ohio River. You get a nice tasting at the end.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Honestly never tried Bulleit Bourbon. I see it at the stores, just didn't ever pick up a bottle. And at a Blackhawks game that is probably about $500 a bottle if you buy it by the pour! But Bulleit is easily under $50 at the liquor stores. I paid $12 for a "double" Knob Creek 100 a couple days ago at the Lighthouse Restaurant in Cedar Lake, I'm guessing you paid that much for the Bulleit at the Blackhawks game?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon
    Just under $10 per. The bourbon selection at the UC is very limited. Maker's is only available in the restaurant (which you can do as a walk in, walk out at the bar), but we had club seats with in seat service, so when in Rome...

Top Bottom