• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    JIM BEAM Signature Craft -Sherry Cask Finished

Just sipping on a bit of it tonight. With the wine or sherry cask finished items you either like them or you dislike them. I tend to like them for adding a bit of interest to the bourbon but it can be over-finshed too. I think the JB Signature Craft Sherry is better than the Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Sonoma Cutrer finished. The W-R seems to have been aged too long in the cask, but the JB is just about right. Its got some flavor, but no so much that it overwhelms.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For anyone coming into the NWI INGO CLUBHOUSE tomorrow late morning for the bourbonpolusa, I'm bringing in 2 bottles of Jim Beam 12 year old Signature Craft. The first bottle is the regular Signature Craft, the 2nd bottle is their Sherry Cask finished Signature Craft.

Thought it would make a nice side-by-side comparison to have both of them together. Not anything I've ever done at home.

I've also got a bottle of BRECKENRIDGE BOURBON too. There is only a couple ounces left in the bottle, so it will be a fallen soldier by the time I go home. It was ranked as one of the "TOP 3 BOURBONS" in the world by one of the magazines that does taste tests.

So those are my contributions to the cause.

Hopefully someone can bring in some Dixie Cups or disposable shot glasses???

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was given a bottle of the Breckenridge Bourbon as a gift but haven't cracked the bottle yet. If you've already reviewed it I missed it. Good stuff?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I was given a bottle of the Breckenridge Bourbon as a gift but haven't cracked the bottle yet. If you've already reviewed it I missed it. Good stuff?

Pretty sure I've talked about it a couple times.

For me, its OK. Not great. But I like really bold flavors so I'd say I'd prefer BOOKERS, Col EH TAYLOR Single Barrek, STAGG Jr or HIRSCH Single Barrel, which to my taste, all have stronger, bolder flavors.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have left some at the clubhouse in the past, don't know if they have all been used. If so, let me know Bob I have some more...

I used the last of those the last time you couldn't make it. Tony also had a rum tasting one night. So all those are gone.

I tried to buy some more, stopped at Gordon Food Service because they sell all sorts of disposable cups, but nothing in the 'shot glass' size. Smallest they had was 5-oz.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yup Jay that Noah's Mill is outstanding.

That is the better batch, the 13 year old version. I have Noah's Mill at home, it no longer claims to be that old. Still good stuff.

In that lineup there was:
    JIM BEAM 12yr Signature Craft + JIM BEAM 12yr Signature Craft Sherry Aged
    Breckenridge Bourbon
    Noah's Mill
    JEFFERSON'S + JEFFERSON'S OCEAN Voyage 3​

I'd say that the Beam "Sherry" was preferred over the regular Beam.

I'd say that most of us thought the Voyage 3 was underwhelming for the high price, but the regular Jefferson's a great value for the price.

Noah's Mill was everyone's favorite. It was also the boldest flavor, by far.

And while Breckenridge was ranked by some panel as one of the Top 3 bourbons in the world, I don't think anyone was overwhelmed by it. Its good, and it is a good value at about $35, but its not something that people would go out of their way to find. If you see it you may want to buy it. But if you go out searching for it you are probably wasting gas money.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I.W Harper 15 year limited release coming this spring!
    Louisville bourbon I.W. Harper returns for sale in the U.S.

Harper was a 'bottom shelf' brand that competed for the low end market here in the US. At the same time it sold at a premium in Japan. There was such a big price difference between the low US price and the high price charged in Japan that a 'grey market' of smuggled cheap American bourbon was showing up in Japan. In order for the distillery to maintain its profit margins they stopped selling the brand in the US.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'm planning on stepping outside of my comfort zone and buying something other than Gentleman Jack... This thread is giving me a lot of options, almost to many. Whatever should I do?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom