INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    OK, general question for all.....
    Assume... for this question only.....
    That I'm a complete wimp and not a fan of heat and burn......

What bourbon should I go for..... besides a Shirley Temple?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Sipping on Blanton's neat is pretty smooth!

Maker's is a fine bourbon whisky, but my signature may indicate a little bias.

Last edited:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Can someone hold my "man card" while I ask this question?

How the hell do you guys drink this stuff neat/with ice? I'm young (24) and have never been much of a drinker aside from a beer with dinner or going out on special occasions. Anytime I have ever tried to sip a hard liquor straight, I don't make it half way through the glass. Is it an acquired taste? Do I need to let old age burn off some more of my taste buds? Or do I just need grab my twig n berries and go for it?

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could actually enjoy the taste of it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

How the hell do you guys drink this stuff neat/with ice? I'm young (24) and have never been much of a drinker aside from a beer with dinner or going out on special occasions. Anytime I have ever tried to sip a hard liquor straight, I don't make it half way through the glass. Is it an acquired taste? Do I need to let old age burn off some more of my taste buds? Or do I just need grab my twig n berries and go for it?

I don't use ice, I use whisky stones so it's not watered down. Depends on the "flavor" just like with everything. But if you have some laying around, try this next time... store it in the freezer, and try to sip on that later.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't use ice, I use whisky stones so it's not watered down. Depends on the "flavor" just like with everything. But if you have some laying around, try this next time... store it in the freezer, and try to sip on that later.

I think the only stuff I may still have is Chivas Regal 12. And that will take some digging to find.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

I would recommend mixing it with pop (7up, Coke...) then over time increasing the amount of your favorite brand while decreasing the pop level. Then you'll get to a stage where you might want to cut it with ice and water. Then just on ice (which will cut the boldness as it melts). Then, on to straight.

Possibly a tasting event would be a good way to go as you learn how to drink it and what flavors to taste for. I am not a rye guy so I steer away from products with high quantities of that ingredient. Some brands I do not care for the taste, period!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

I'd recommend Maker's Mark as a good starting point. It's smooth, a bit sweet with a nice spice. It's reasonably priced, readily available, and it't not at all hot.

Try it with a couple of ice cubes first, and letting the ice cubes melt a bit to soften the initial "bite" of a ninety proof spirit, then gradually advance to trying it neat.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I would recommend mixing it with pop (7up, Coke...) then over time increasing the amount of your favorite brand while decreasing the pop level. Then you'll get to a stage where you might want to cut it with ice and water. Then just on ice (which will cut the boldness as it melts). Then, on to straight.

Possibly a tasting event would be a good way to go as you learn how to drink it and what flavors to taste for. I am not a rye guy so I steer away from products with high quantities of that ingredient. Some brands I do not care for the taste, period!

Quoted for truth, this is good advice. Before getting into straight bourbon and scotch, I used to enjoy Jack and Coke quite often. Gradually I was drinking a blend of more Jack than Coke, and now here I am in the bourbon thread.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Istarted at 21. First just to get drunk now to drink. Mm is a good start i like eagle rare... But like most everything else YMMV.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I do enjoy Larceny also, glad to see it in Indiana. Larceny is made by Heaven Hill and Pappy/Weller is now made at Buffalo Trace.

Correct. Heaven Hill does produce Larceny, but if you read the history you'll find that Sazerac bought Pappy years ago and moved the production to the Buffalo Trace distillery, just like HH brought back the Larceny name with an old Pappy recipe it had the rights to. Basically most distilleries are whores in KY and they all get around. The major brands are owned by about 3-4 major companies.

Check out this book:

But Always Fine Bourbon | The story of "Pappy" VanWinkle and Stitzel Weller Bourbon | Home

Start witht the basics. Beam, Evan, Makers, Four Roses, etc, then work your way into some craft or small batch. You'll start finding treads you like and can find the common denominator of the profile.

I actually hated whiskey for the longest time. When I started drinking it, I knew a bunch of farm boys and started drinking 7 & 7. From there I started venturing into single barrel stuff, small batches, and craft. Been hooked since. I find once you start drinking it straight use ice and let it get a bit watered down. Between the water and the cold it will cut the taste/burn a bit and make it more palatable. I have the sipping stones, but rarely use them because I prefer a tad bit of water in my whiskey, about 2 ice cubes per glass.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I second the suggestion of starting out with Beam. Compared to most bourbons I have Beam is kinda the watered down Coors Light of the bourbon world. It is good stuff, just very tame compared to others.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise

I personally find Elijah Craig 12y very smooth, with little burn. It's probably my favorite at the moment. I like mine neat, but if you use ice it might mellow it out even more.

Hey, another 24 y/o here. Only drink my bourbon neat, or with a cube of ice if very hot. Though I didn't start that way. I first started with 2 cubes of ice no matter what I was drinking, and as I drank more and branched out, I found the ice was watering down too much and prefer it neat mostly. With that said, and not to confuse you, sometimes a little ice can change the taste and it can seem like a whole different drink. I found it can either mask flavors, or enhance them.

I drank in college to have a good time with my friends on weekends, though it was rarely with liquor. Mostly beer or cheap vodka laced drinks. We were poor college kids after all. Now a few years past graduation, things have changed and I drink a glass in the evenings for the taste and relaxing mild buzz. I've grown such a liking for the taste now, that I often find myself wanting more simply for the taste... cutting myself off so I don't go past that mild buzz.

Disclaimer: I've always been a fan of the burn and warm sensation in my stomach.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis

Let Fred Noe explain. I went to a tasting that Fred was hosting and learned this method from him and it makes a difference. The other thing is don't gulp it down like a shot, sip it and enjoy.

Behind the Bourbon - How to Taste Bourbon | Jim Beam®#

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis

These are all good suggestions. I would also include starting with club soda or plain sparkling water instead of a soda, you get more of the bourbon taste without the pop masking the flavor.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

Another method to cool down the alcohol taste is to have the bourbon "chilled" .. put ice in a shaker, add bourbon, shake once or twice, strain out the bourbon into rocks glass..
    that way you mix in a little water but it will not water down the whole drink if you sip it over time..

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    image.jpg1_zps9hvaesbp.jpg

Tried a bit of this tonight but I can't tell you how it tastes.

Before sipping this I happened to eat a bowl of Lime-Chili Shrimp Soup. It was hot & spicy and it burned my taste buds and the spice in the soup opened them up. So when I took a sip of the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel it just gave me a whole new definition to the term SPICY.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The RR was a regular in my cabinet several years ago but I haven't had it in some time. I remember liking it but tastes change so it'll be interesting to try it again some time.

Top Bottom