• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Been checking the bourbon selection at all the pubs I pass as I hike across England following Hadrian's Wall through Northumberland with my family.

I can find Jack Daniels pretty much everywhere(Tennessee Whiskey, but legally qualifies as a Bourbon), occasionally Jim Beam White. Southern Comfort and Tito's Vodka has been seen on a pretty regular basis too.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Rare Breed is excellent.
    The wife bought me a bottle of Angel's Envy for my 50th b-day last year. It barely qualifies for the "under $50" mark, since our local retailer had it priced at $49.99. It was superb. I savored that bottle for a few months.

View attachment 38697

I like it as well and have a few put away that are individually numbered for our local liquor store. For "finished bourbon" (it is distilled by Seagram's in Lawrenceburg and finished by Angels Envy) it is pretty good stuff.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I like it as well and have a few put away that are individually numbered for our local liquor store. For "finished bourbon" (it is distilled by Seagram's in Lawrenceburg and finished by Angels Envy) it is pretty good stuff.
    Yup, we did a sampling of several bourbons at our cigar lounge last year. Angels Envy was one of the favorites. Another, similar, 2nd aged bourbon, was Beer Barrel, which is about $35/bottle, and that one also ranked very high on the 'favorites' listing.

Both Angels Envy and Beer Barrel are sourced product, both are then aged a second time, reportedly for roughly 3 months. Angles Envy is 2nd aged in Sherry barrels. Beer Barrel bourbon is 2nd aged in New Holland Brewing's Dragons Milk beer barrels.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Local shop now carries MAKERS MARK CASK STRENGTH bourbon.

It is a limited run from Makers Mark. As I understand it, it will be released a couple times a year, but in limited runs so it will be periodically available at some stores but not always available.

Cracked open the bottle tonight. Its about $35 a bottle, but its a 1/2 size bottle with only 375ml instead of the normal 750ml size bottle.

Damn good stuff. If you like regular Makers Mark (and who doesn't?) then if you can find this stuff I'd suggest you buy it. Its stronger, by a good margin, roughly 120 proof, but that varies from barrel to barrel. Regular Makers Mark is 80 proof. You may want to tame this down with a single ice cube. Even tamed a bit it offers a much more flavorful drink than regular M.M. Still not harsh, still smooth, but it may be a bit much for some if you drink it neat.

Its good. Really good.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

It is a limited run from Makers Mark. As I understand it, it will be released a couple times a year, but in limited runs so it will be periodically available at some stores but not always available.

Cracked open the bottle tonight. Its about $35 a bottle, but its a 1/2 size bottle with only 375ml instead of the normal 750ml size bottle.

Damn good stuff. If you like regular Makers Mark (and who doesn't?) then if you can find this stuff I'd suggest you buy it. Its stronger, by a good margin, roughly 120 proof, but that varies from barrel to barrel. Regular Makers Mark is 80 proof. You may want to tame this down with a single ice cube. Even tamed a bit it offers a much more flavorful drink than regular M.M. Still not harsh, still smooth, but it may be a bit much for some if you drink it neat.

Its good. Really good.

I'll have to look out for that. I'm normally a Makers drinker, so will have to check it out. Amazing what a lone ice cube will do to bring out the flavor in good bourbon.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If I recall correctly, MM46 was suppose to be a limited run/couple times a year. I'm glad its available all the time!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got a 1792 Small Batch in my glass tonight. Definitely under $50. Pretty powerful flavor to it, compared to the normal 1792.

3982.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Stars were aligned (ALL on sale today) and picked up:
    John E. Fitzgerald "Larceny" ('Top 20 Best Spirit in the World'-Spirit Journal)
    Jefferson's Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Blanton's

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219

Its good. Really good.

started to see it in 750s recently. Not yet in Indiana but tons in IL and a few in WI.

I've got a 1792 Small Batch in my glass tonight. Definitely under $50. Pretty powerful flavor to it, compared to the normal 1792.

3982.jpg
    that is the normal 1792. It's always been a small batch, and the just went through a package change a few months ago.

Jefferson's Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Blanton's
    good buys. Larceny is one of my standards on the bar now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    started to see it in 750s recently. Not yet in Indiana but tons in IL and a few in WI.
    Yup, I was talking to the new rep and the owner at Lake Liq. 750ml is just damn expensive, and given how, with barrel proof bourbons, a little goes a long way, the 375ml bottles are fine for me.

that is the normal 1792. It's always been a small batch, and the just went through a package change a few months ago.
    Yup, noticed that too. Its an OK bourbon. Nice low price. But in the same price range I think there are better.

good buys. Larceny is one of my standards on the bar now.
    Its a 'wheated' bourbon, how can it not be great!

Jefferson's Reserve
    Knob Creek
    Blanton's

Nice list of bourbons. I'm personally not a fan of Blanton's but I know a lot of people love that one.

Jefferson's Reserve is one of my all time favorites and a damn damn damn good bottle.

I think that the Knob Creek 100 proof is their best offering but all of them are good.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Voyage 2 was amazing/astounding/awesome.
    Voyage 3 was so-so.
    Voyage 4 is approaching the awesomeness that was Voyage 2. You will like it. Its very good stuff. We had a tasting of Voyage 4 at the NWI INGO Clubhouse a few weeks ago. Everyone loved it.

I need to go find some Voyage 4!! I loved Voyage 2 and concur that Voyage 3 is just ok for the price point.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    No Jefferson's Manhatten yet, but the Jefferson's Gorth has just been released. Its allocated so you might have to search for it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well its a good bit over the $50 limit, but I picked up one of the bottles of the Jefferson's Groth Reserve Cask Finish bourbons. Was going to save it until the weekend but aclark was pestering me via TEXT message so I caved to pressure and cracked open the bottle.

This is 6 year old bourbon finished in wine casks from the famed Groth Vinyards.

First off, this is almost a copper colored bourbon. Polished copper maybe. Not the traditional amber.

To my nose its got some great aromas. Maybe a bit of Peach, definitely some Corn, Caramel, Vanilla and Oak. There is also a bit of char or smoke.

The taste is awesome. It has no mouth tingle but there is a long finish with some burn, a bit more burn than I like, but the taste more than makes up for that one drawback. There is definately corn and toffee and vanilla, and then there is the influence of the red wine, possibly adding a hint of blackberry?

I'd honestly rank this a solid 8.5 out of 10. Jefferson's Voyage #2 is better, Voyage #4 is not as good. This is very different than either of those. It spent something like 9 months in those red wine barrels that previously held $100 bottles of Groth Cabernet and the wine influence is actually fairly subtle, but it must do something because this is a very nice bourbon that should be reserved for celebrations and special occasions. Worth the $80 MSRP.

It is a limited item, hard to find, but if you find Jefferson's Groth Reserve Cask Finish its worth buying.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm about halfway through my bottle of Larceny. About the only thing I drink any more is Larceny, Bear Wallow Bear Trap moonshine, or Eagle Rare. I also have Blanton's, Johnny Drum, Jim Beam Old Tub, Ridgemont 1792, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam White Label, Wild Turkey, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Knob Creek Single Barrel. I still go back to those first three choices though.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I may venture into the clubhouse with the Larceny bottle (:rolleyes:) minus my 1911 (:laugh:) for a meeting and tasting soon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I may venture into the clubhouse with the Larceny bottle (:rolleyes:) minus my 1911 (:laugh:) for a meeting and tasting soon.

Post it up about a week in advance to make sure that others can show up with bottles. We have moved the taste tests to the back room to comply with a silly Indiana law.

And make sure to invite Sadclown, he keeps missing out on these bourbon testings and he is probably the guy who help most to get them started! It is sad to see a sad Sadclownwp :rolleyes:

Top Bottom