• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yup, absolutely the worst bourbon I've ever had. Pure rot gut, pig swill. I reserve it only to pesky IRS agents, tax collectors and evil mother-in-laws.

A gift from a well meaning friend.

I have a bottle of some Journeyman cask strength that I do enjoy. But boy is it THICK.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Larceny is a 'wheated' bourbon and they are trying to take market share away from Maker's Mark. Priced similar to Maker's Mark. I don't think they found the right flavor profile.

FWIW, the highly sought after brand Pappy Van Winkle is also a 'wheated' bourbon.

Wheated bourbons substitute wheat for rye in the mash bill. They are generally a bit less spicy or sharp, sometimes a bit sweeter.

Yup, absolutely the worst bourbon I've ever had. Pure rot gut, pig swill. I reserve it only to pesky IRS agents, tax collectors and evil mother-in-laws.
    Yeah normally i like a wheated bourbon. This one was just harsh to me. I like makers. Cask strength regular and the cask strength 46 are my faves of makers.
    I love pappys from what i remember. Sadly I've never had to opportunity to purchase it for retail or even close. Too many people trying to flip them or stash them. Id open it right in the store and share some with people if I ever got the chance to buy one at retail. Never will happen. All the stores jack them up

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Yeah normally i like a wheated bourbon. This one was just harsh to me. I like makers. Cask strength regular and the cask strength 46 are my faves of makers.
    You need a bottle of Private Select then! Dipped and brought back one. At that time, you could only get it at the distillery.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I love pappys from what i remember. Sadly I've never had to opportunity to purchase it for retail or even close. Too many people trying to flip them or stash them. Id open it right in the store and share some with people if I ever got the chance to buy one at retail. Never will happen. All the stores jack them up
    I buy it at regular retail price most every year. Heck I passed over it at retail price last year in favor of a couple bottle of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles instead (also purchased at regular retail price)

Start up a relationship with the owner of a store. Be a loyal customer, if he is a good store he will set aside nice bottles for you at regular (non-inflated) prices.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I buy it at regular retail price most every year. Heck I passed over it at retail price last year in favor of a couple bottle of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles instead (also purchased at regular retail price)

Start up a relationship with the owner of a store. Be a loyal customer, if he is a good store he will set aside nice bottles for you at regular (non-inflated) prices.
    Seems like all of the stores around here are chains. They want to do raffles and have huge events. Not my bag of tea.
    I dont want to use someone just to get something from them. If i already knew someone then id already be a loyal customer but stores around here seem to not give a crap about their customers individually

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Picked up a bottle of this on Saturday...

jeffersons-reserve-very-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon__44771.1541019948.jpg

I give it :yesway::yesway:

Above $50 but the Jefferson ocean is also very nice.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seems like all of the stores around here are chains. They want to do raffles and have huge events. Not my bag of tea.
    I dont want to use someone just to get something from them. If i already knew someone then id already be a loyal customer but stores around here seem to not give a crap about their customers individually

How is the fairest way to distribute a scarce product? It appears to me that there are three ways this commonly happens. The give the owners friends the product, melon described, the customer lottery or raffle, and the owner selling it on the resale market at very inflated prices. Of the three options the lottery or raffle seem the fairest way to do it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How is the fairest way to distribute a scarce product? It appears to me that there are three ways this commonly happens. The give the owners friends the product, melon described, the customer lottery or raffle, and the owner selling it on the resale market at very inflated prices. Of the three options the lottery or raffle seem the fairest way to do it.
    Im not saying it's not fair. Just not my thing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

I actually said make a relationship with an owner by being a loyal customer.

My exact words are quoted below:

The guy I get my bottles from sees me when I come in for ice. He sees me when we need wine. He sees me when we need any sort of party supplies. I am friendly with him, and he with me. Over time we've begun talking about more than booze. But I built a relationship that is mutually beneficial to his business and to my interests. I am loyal to this one shop because he takes care of me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I actually said make a relationship with an owner by being a loyal customer.

My exact words are quoted below:
    The guy I get my bottles from sees me when I come in for ice. He sees me when we need wine. He sees me when we need any sort of party supplies. I am friendly with him, and he with me. Over time we've begun talking about more than booze. But I built a relationship that is mutually beneficial to his business and to my interests. I am loyal to this one shop because he takes care of me.

If you build a relationship with the owner or workers you are a friend and can also be a loyal customer. There is nothing wrong with what you suggest, but if you are getting something other customers never see or have an opportunity to buy because they like you, is what I described. I certainly do try that and it can work for some products but one would have to very close to get stuff like pappy...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you build a relationship with the owner or workers you are a friend and can also be a loyal customer. There is nothing wrong with what you suggest, but if you are getting something other customers never see or have an opportunity to buy because they like you, is what I described. I certainly do try that and it can work for some products but one would have to very close to get stuff like pappy...
    He does it for his loyal customers. Not just me. I’m not a scotch guy, he has loyal scotch customers who get rare scotch that I would never be offered. He was wine customers who buy rare reds, same thing applies. I’m a bourbon guy, I’m near the top of his list for bourbons after knowing him for many years as a customer.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    He does it for his loyal customers. Not just me. I’m not a scotch guy, he has loyal scotch customers who get rare scotch that I would never be offered. He was wine customers who buy rare reds, same thing applies. I’m a bourbon guy, I’m near the top of his list for bourbons after knowing him for many years as a customer.

Let me know if you score any Pappy, I want to be your friend. LOL

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wife brought this home last week. Actually under $30. The guy at the store said it was amazing. I'd call it good, but not amazing...
    e6d285406946a91762665b8544cb52ff.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Larceny is better neat than on ice imo. Room temp, give it a sniff then an airy sip.

I really need to read through this entire thread. I'm probably repeating someone else's opinion.

The wife & I both liked the Knob Creek Smoked Maple tonight. :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had been trying to score a bottle of Blanton's for a while. I got on "lists" at various local stores in Elkhart. The wife did the same in South Bend. A few months in, no luck yet.

While visiting our son in St Louis, we called around and found a store that said they just had a case come in. We were there in a few minutes. The guy working the counter couldn't find it. Called the owner and asked where the case of Blanton's was. Owner said, what case of Blanton's? The dude behind the counter said the owner likely snagged it and would sell it on the interwebz at a huge mark up.

A couple weeks ago the daughter came home from lovely, scenic 29 Palms, California. She opened her suitcase and produced a bottle...

fvpIGSFl.jpg

I was kinda shocked. If you've ever been to 29 Palms, it may not be the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there. She walked into a little mom and pop liquor store, walked to the bourbon shelf, and found 4 bottles. All marked at the actual retail price of $59.99. She bought one for me, one for her husband, and left the other two.:rolleyes:

It was actually kind of a let down. For all the hype, I expected to be blown away. I was not. Don't get me wrong, it's good. Even very good for $60. But plenty of people are paying double that or more.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah blantons isnt that amazing for all the hype it gets. Weller blows it away. Also eagle rare imo does too.
    Col eh taylor is way better than blantons and cheaper too if you find it for retail.

Top Bottom