• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But let's not discount just how cool the bottle is.;)

if you did not know, there is a different topper representing each letter in Blantons. I have all of them and am planning a 14" bark edged wood slab tray with all the toppers and an actual horseshoe. The bottle would sit in the horseshoe.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Stopped in Crown Liquors in Carmel on the way home. They had George Dickel Barrel Select for $39.99. Best price I've seen on that for awhile.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    But let's not discount just how cool the bottle is.;)
    Lol. Yep ill give it that. I do like it but its not worth hunting for IMO.
    Guys traveling all over the damn state visiting every liquor store almost daily. I dont get the hype.
    If i loved it that much I would just pay the inflated price and have a stock of it.

Tonight I opened a store pick of Eagle Rare single Barrel. All eagle rare is a 10 year charred oak barrel aged bourbon. I love the off the shelf version but I have to admit this store pick was WAY above any other eagle rare ive ever had off the shelf.
    I got this bottle talking bourbon with a store manager a while back and he could tell I was a drinker and appreciater of bourbon and not a flipper. He said let me go in the back and see if I have anything special I can offer you. He came back out with this store pick bottle and a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I already had the EC in my rotation and even if I hadnt, Eagle Rare is one of my favorites. I chose wisely in my opinion. Tonight I confirmed it. Im so thrilled.
    Just so sweet and smooth. If you see eagle rare on the shelf, buy it. I dont think you will be disappointed ever. If you see a silver sticker on the bottle that has the name of the store and says single barrel, deffinately buy it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If anyone likes old forester 1920, big red liquors has it on sale for $44. Thats like $16 less than most others.
    If you've never tried Old Forester 1920, do yourself a favor and get some or try it at a bar first. Its 115 proof so if its too hot for you add some ice or alittle water. Awesome flavors.
    Its a steal at $44. Stock up. I did

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If anyone likes old forester 1920, big red liquors has it on sale for $44. Thats like $16 less than most others.
    If you've never tried Old Forester 1920, do yourself a favor and get some or try it at a bar first. Its 115 proof so if its too hot for you add some ice or alittle water. Awesome flavors.
    Its a steal at $44. Stock up. I did

It is the BEST of the Old Forester offerings :rockwoot:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have Jefferson's, Jefferson's Reserve, and Jefferson's Ocean. Of the three (3) I actually like the regular Jefferson's over the Reserve. The ocean is different enough to set equal to the regular but I think the regular is so smooth and easy to drink it's like brandy. I really enjoy it and the price at under $35 normally is fine by me.

Doug

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Weller is one of the few bourbons that don't make me gag.
    Don't like the stuff but at least my throat doesn't refuse to participate in swallowing.
    It must be genetic; brother has the same response.

Revision to comments:
    NO! It was Old Forester that didn't make me gag. Sorry, it's been a long time and the name finally came back.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Has anyone here distilled their own?
    Having once upon a time been a prolific brewer and loving to try out new recipes and ideas I considered it, looking into the in's and out's.
    My grandfather told me about the hidden underground operation they ran to make a living with canyon run whisky in the thirties. The mash, the process, caramelized sugar to make the color and flavor.

And I'm toying with the idea of growing hops!:)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Having once upon a time been a prolific brewer and loving to try out new recipes and ideas I considered it, looking into the in's and out's.
    My grandfather told me about the hidden underground operation they ran to make a living with canyon run whisky in the thirties. The mash, the process, caramelized sugar to make the color and flavor.

Sorry Mr. Revenuer, youns ain't catching me that easy.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Home brewing and wine making is legal; home distilling is not. Federal law makes it a felony. https://www.ttb.gov/distilled-spirits/penalties-for-illegal-distilling

I know some people who buy Everclear as a base to make their own gins and infused vodkas. Some people also buy overproof rum and make their own spiced rums. But neither of those is distilling. I don't know of anyone who makes their own whiskys, though.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

My BIL did one year, just because. He also brews his own beers and makes his own wine. His was good, but rather 'green' in taste. He said that was the hardest part. He got his info online.
    A buddy of mine works for Beck's and is working with a couple distilleries on variations for #2 corn...waxy finish, flavors, :blahblah:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oh gosh. Didn't know it was (still) forbidden to make your own.
    Never mind the question!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW, all of the 'good stuff' will be delivered to stores near you very soon. Some has already arrived. Some is on the way. Most will be sold out by mid-October.

Parkers Heritage Rye
    B.T.A.C. varietals
    O.F. Birthday
    4 Roses limited
    Pappy varietals
    Weller varietals
    Michters 10 year Rye

several I forgot about but that should be snapped up too :rolleyes:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sorry Mr. Revenuer, youns ain't catching me that easy.
    :):
    Yep, illegal to distill your own sadly.
    With bourbon the color comes from the charing in the oak barrels and the alcohol going in and out of that layer over the time it spends in the barrels.
    In the older days they would add things (like the carmelized sugar you mentioned mr agent ;) ) this is part of the reason several legal distillers got together with the government and created bonded bourbons.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A lot of people will re-age their own whiskey or take store bought "moonshine" and age it in like a 1 litter charred oak barrel. There is more surface area that touches the whiskey in the smaller barrel so aging just a couple or 4 months can equal years of a larger barrel.
    Its not truly the same but similar and a good legal home project.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    FWIW, all of the 'good stuff' will be delivered to stores near you very soon. Some has already arrived. Some is on the way. Most will be sold out by mid-October.

Parkers Heritage Rye
    B.T.A.C. varietals
    O.F. Birthday
    4 Roses limited
    Pappy varietals
    Weller varietals
    Michters 10 year Rye

several I forgot about but that should be snapped up too :rolleyes:
    Id love to get some of that weller full proof, pappy obviously, and the birthday bourbon. Also the buffalo trace collection they released.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Picked up some Black Ridge Small Batch for around $30 over in KY. nice smooth sipping bourbon. Easily worth the price. Comparble to New Riff, not quite Eagle Rare, in my opinion.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

At Beam, got to prep and send a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel down the line. Personalized by Yours Truly at the end of the line by making a thumb impression into the wax. Actual price $49.99. Personalized price... pending :cool:

Opened this guy up tonight. Full of flavor and smooth.

Top Bottom