Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    What if, while likely racking up $100 billion in profits, Bezos (could be Walmart, Lowes Etc.) is found to have contributed a $100 million to promote lockdowns?

The lockdowns that killed millions of small business competition...
    Whether they were the cause, or just the opportunist to be able to take advantage, there’s no doubt it’s happening. Fits right in with the whole ‘make everyone dependent’ idea all the way down the ladder.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Whether they were the cause, or just the opportunist to be able to take advantage, there’s no doubt it’s happening. Fits right in with the whole ‘make everyone dependent’ idea all the way down the ladder.

The point being that they engaged in anticompetitive activities to limit competition, at least morally if not legally. While I am generally in the free market group when uncompetitive activities begin and the exponential power of money is compounded to create monopolies in markets they must be reined in.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The point being that they engaged in anticompetitive activities to limit competition, at least morally if not legally. While I am generally in the free market group when uncompetitive activities begin and the exponential power of money is compounded to create monopolies in markets they must be reined in.

The free market isn't closing down smaller businesses. Government is. There is nothing free market about it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What if, while likely racking up $100 billion in profits, Bezos (could be Walmart, Lowes Etc.) is found to have contributed a $100 million to promote lockdowns?

The free market isn't closing down smaller businesses. Government is. There is nothing free market about it.

I think you missed where we began, with an anticompetitive accusation against mega companies using mega bucks to use government as the tool to kill small businesses...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In my estimation it was really quite simple, for all the fearmongering, statistically speaking, no more have died in any age range than usual. We know how many wuwho flu deaths are in their and we know some things like traffic fatalities are down, but the big picture is not the draconian killer being promoted by various entities for various reasons...

Yes. I found the decrease in deaths due to what would normally be the top killers disease-wise being almost exactly equal to the increase in covid deaths to be pretty clear evidence that covid was either killing people who would have succumbed to something else, or more likely being credited as the killer despite other underlying causes because; hospital payday

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Their 'investment' would have paid off at 1000:1?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I only read the link posted, from Gateway Pundit, not the JHU article, since that’s where we are drawing our conclusions from. Then googled “cdc claims only 9200 covid deaths” and found a lot of articles talking about how that was a complete misinterpretation of the article.
    Here is one in case you’re so inclined - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ly-updated-covid-19-death-estimates-67902/amp

Just to be clear, I don’t trust any of them.

ETA: possibly it’s not fair for me to say “ that’s where we are drawing our conclusions from” because I know that there are a lot of well read people working hard to figure this out, so no offense meant if you’re digging deep. That was the article I read. But there’s also a lot of people misinterpreting and magnifying incorrect info and it grows legs and people take it as gospel.

d-man, the 'cdc says only 9200 covid deaths' is a much older piece that got caught up in the concept of 'excess death', which is a concept much more open to diverse interpretation

The J-H piece analyzed all US deaths in aggregate broken down by various causes and averaged over recent years. The study found that total death was virtually unchanged, the only difference being that the deaths attributed to covid had come from other categories of known killers such as heart disease and pneumonia. At the very least, it would be indicative of the fact that many would have died of those other morbidities in the absense of covid, or more likely it indicated that deaths that might have been attributed to heart problems etc were instead credited to covid (for which a financial incentive existed)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    d-man, the 'cdc says only 9200 covid deaths' is a much older piece that got caught up in the concept of 'excess death', which is a concept much more open to diverse interpretation

The J-H piece analyzed all US deaths in aggregate broken down by various causes and averaged over recent years. The study found that total death was virtually unchanged, the only difference being that the deaths attributed to covid had come from other categories of known killers such as heart disease and pneumonia. At the very least, it would be indicative of the fact that many would have died of those other morbidities in the absense of covid, or more likely it indicated that deaths that might have been attributed to heart problems etc were instead credited to covid (for which a financial incentive existed)

Right, sometimes they don't make the distinction between dying from wuhu and dying with wuhu. They get more money if wuhu is involved so they count them the most favorable way.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Okay I finally heard a ridiculous story firsthand. I'm one of of thse folks that are considered essential workers.

We are to self screen at home and then when we get to work we have to take her temperature before we go in and so yesterday one of the guys called in it said he couldn't taste or smell anything so he wondered if he should stay at home.

I told the guys that fatigue is on that list and I'm tired most days so I think I'll just start staying at home

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

molonlabe.png

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-bar-covid-19-hotspot-refuses-shut-down-liquor-license

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay I finally heard a ridiculous story firsthand. I'm one of of thse folks that are considered essential workers.

We are to self screen at home and then when we get to work we have to take her temperature before we go in and so yesterday one of the guys called in it said he couldn't taste or smell anything so he wondered if he should stay at home.

I told the guys that fatigue is on that list and I'm tired most days so I think I'll just start staying at home

What if you have such a "cold heart" that you can't get a measurement?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Indiana COVID Statistics

Some good news for once, or at least not the constant worse news.

The rate of new cases definitely plateaued about 10 days ago, and are/were maybe starting to fall. Over the next week or two we'll see if the holiday get togethers cause a change in that.

IaGTs2O.png

Likewise, the rate of hospital admissions appears to have plateaued as well.

7WPUMMN.png

And the hospital census is flattening also.

YR6AuDa.png

ICU is at 43.8%... up but doesn't seem to be following the previous rate of increase... looks like it's still going up, but not as fast, IMO.

XflRZpn.png

Positivity rate peaked about the the same time the cases hit the plateau and has started coming down. Avg daily fatality rate has a peak at 56 per day... down since then, but we will see if that was "real" or holiday weekend delays in reporting.

(FWIW, neighbor is a lab tech and said in their lab, positivity has started to "sky rocket", her words... close to half yesterday were positive... again, one tech in one lab so YMMV)

MdbhU3Q.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some good news for once, or at least not the constant worse news.

The rate of new cases definitely plateaued about 10 days ago, and are/were maybe starting to fall. Over the next week or two we'll see if the holiday get togethers cause a change in that.

Yeah, while I'm always a fan of cautious optimism, I am concerned that the "good" numbers are more a product of the reporting processes being suspended because those personnel responsible for that particular chain were on vacation. Let's face it, those responsible for reporting are typically not on the front line, but more administrative. So they get to use their vacation days.

I'll certainly be watching to see the lagging numbers get caught up.

Again, I'm with you and hoping the currently-reported numbers are the "real" numbers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom