Bat trapped in our bathroom - NEED ADVICE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Wait wait wait..... This has happened 3-4 times in the past????

How did you deal with it then and why are you have to seek advice on the 4-5 time and not the first?

Normally they have been downstairs, and we have been able to open all the doors and have them fly out. This one was a stubborn little SOB who wouldn't leave the bathroom upstairs! :):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Remember, there is a slim chance they are rabid if they are in your house.
    FIFY

By the way, before we got rid of them we had very few problems with mosquitoes. Once they were gone, we noticed a lot more mosquitoes.
    Yup. I seriously don't understand all the animosity toward a creature that benefits mankind so much. Seems like half of the post in this thread are calling for death to bats - and I don't think they are kidding.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    FIFY

Yup. I seriously don't understand all the animosity toward a creature that benefits mankind so much. Seems like half of the post in this thread are calling for death to bats - and I don't think they are kidding.

I can only speak for myself, but I was simply being a wise guy about flushing the bat. Barring having one really needing to be dealt with severely, I agree with you that they are good members of the community. One is far more likely to get a disease from a mosquito bite than from a wayward bat.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Fireplace damper stuck open? We had one cruising till a beach towel landed on top of him and... whooshed it outside. Picked up the towel in am and no bat.
    Our barn cat has hunted many and terminated their command appearance. "Socks" was 9 yrs old and died of either distemper or rabies? Good cat, sad loss.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I just had a bat fly by me so close that I felt the wind off it's wings. HUGE beast I tell you! Must have had nearly a 12'' wing span. I do however, love them in my back yard (better than any insecticide made).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Bats are cool and I HATE mosquitoes, largely because I'm a mosquito magnet. We used to watch them in East Tenn when I lived there (15 minutes from the entrance to the Smokies. We used to see them spelunking a lot. Cute lil buggers.

Still... they are a vector species for rabies. Meaning they can pass it while not being ill or symptomatic. Most rabies strains spread through a neurotropic transfer - something must bite you and the saliva reach a nerve where it travels.

Bats are different... they've done testing where a canine was placed in a mosquito netting enclose in a cave with bats... the canine still contracted rabies. You can get rabies from a bat with only the most minute of exposure, unlike a raccoon or dog where you need to be bitten.

Cuter than heck but be careful with them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That is awesome! I never would have thought of that.

We used to have a bat hanging above our back door at night. So during the day my dad hung some moth balls up there and he never came back. If you ever get another bat in your bathroom you could always hang or throw moth balls in the corners of the bathroom that are farthest from the window. That way the bat will be forced to fly out the window. :)

Moth balls?

How the heck did your dad get their little legs apart? :joke:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    First of all, I can't believe I missed this gold mine. I'm dying right now. (Edit. Realized I hadn't joind yet.)

And 2, I can't believe nobody offered the best advice on the opening post....
    Title says it. A bat somehow got into our house, and we currently have it trapped in the bathroom. Problem is, where do we go from here? Outside in the bushes :dunno:

Top Bottom